Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

Sideshow

Reaction score
Cool mesh! I like the idea of replacing the astronaut meshes.

Actually, there are 2 versions already on the Gemini addon, one is very rought and the other is nicer, with the astronaut's face visible inside the helmet.
The better version is visible when on the VC. Exterior views use the basic version.
I think that with some adjustments to scale the better version could be used for both interior and exterior views.

I tried using the the internal mesh a while ago as the EVA mesh by simply copying "gemplt.msh" and renaming it "gem-eva1.msh". Unfortunately the "bottom" of the mesh does not appear to be complete so you can see through it, but it was designed to be viewed in the seated position so I definitely can't complain. Currently I'm using the mesh by Rodion which is beautiful and breaths new life into Gemini. That said I can't wait for Saturn V's version.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you look closely, you can just make out the face behind the visor.

I'm already reworking a mesh for the command pilot. As far as I'm aware, they didn't have the reflective snap on visor the pilots wore during a spacewalk, so his visor will be clear.

I'd looked into consolidating the meshes (using the same one for ext & VC views), but IIRC, they're 2 different scales, so we still need 2 separate models.

I just really wish I could get some help on the pad animations and get 'em uploaded, because I feel like I'm jumping all over the place now. I'll just never understand how guys like David413 can crank out so many different things in rapid-fire succession, doing everything themselves...and doing them WELL! Ah well, more power to them! :thumbup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT

Looks like up until the moment you begin EVA, the add-on uses the gemplt mesh for both astronauts. Not sure how to go about reconciling that. May be a case of just having to accept "that's the way it is."

Last edited:

litreb

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Orbinauts!

I have been following your threads and it is very interesting. Is there any chance that you can tell me how to get Rodion EVA add-on for Gemini 4.5.

Best Regards!

Litreb

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Ed's looking good! Now that's what I'm talking about!

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, here's where I'm at...I replaced the in-flight cockpit exterior view. When I upload this stuff, it will overwrite the original files, so be aware of that. I couldn't do it any other way with out rewriting the dll.

There is also a new command pilot mesh (is this the "hiding" astronaut you were referring to 4throck?).

Anyway, here we go...

"Stepping Out"
spacewalk3.jpg

New cabin (exterior view)
spacewalk2.jpg

What McDivitt saw (VC view)
spacewalk1.jpg

There are some tradeoffs. The new cabin is slightly underscaled, but everything won't fit otherwise. Still, a bit better than what we have now.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I didn't explain the hidden astronaut right. When you EVA, the siting astronaut mesh is moved to the back of the capsule, and a new one appears in it's place.

I got to a point were I can finally show something of the my updated Gemini panels:

centerpa3.jpg

frontpan2.jpg

Still rough but feel free to convert them to DDS and try them. I'm having a hard time to detail the texturing all round the cockpit, nevertheless I've got a nice door and side panels coming along.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, I think I've got the new cabin about squared away (including the differences in the pilot's and command pilot's suit accessories). Weird viewpoint, but you get the idea...

spacewalk4.jpg

4throck, we may end up with some issues reconciling your new VC textures with the new external-view cabin's textures...two different cabins that don't match up. Any ideas?

Sideshow

Reaction score
Saturn V, those screenshots have really got me excited now. Looking fantastic!

I love 4throck's texture update for Project Mercury so seeing Gemini getting some attention is just the icing on the cake. Keep up the great work guys :cheers:

If you don't mind me asking, if I was to eject during launch would those be the meshes I would see hanging from the parachutes?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, but they look kind of goofy. The ejection sequence leaves something to be desired, but that's coded into the dll. These are just mesh replacements. Looks better than the default visuals, but has no effect on the operation.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I didn't explain the hidden astronaut right. When you EVA, the siting astronaut mesh is moved to the back of the capsule, and a new one appears in it's place.

I got to a point were I can finally show something of the my updated Gemini panels:

centerpa3.jpg

frontpan2.jpg

Still rough but feel free to convert them to DDS and try them. I'm having a hard time to detail the texturing all round the cockpit, nevertheless I've got a nice door and side panels coming along.

Are the switches flippable?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Are the switches flippable?

Only more detailed textures based on real cockpit photos. I'm not changing anything in the Gemini .dll programing, so the VC will still be the same. Nevertheless, if someone want to improve the mesh or program something better, they have a more detailed panel to work with.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

4throck, we may end up with some issues reconciling your new VC textures with the new external-view cabin's textures...two different cabins that don't match up. Any ideas?

I'm working on the VC cabin so to speak. From your screenshots there shouldn't be any problem as it is the one that you made visible.

What I'm doing is first, replace those panel scans from the technical manual with photo-sourced images (for example, the 2 panels I've sent). Second, I'm trying to detail the rest of the cockpit walls.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Only more detailed textures based on real cockpit photos. I'm not changing anything in the Gemini .dll programing, so the VC will still be the same. Nevertheless, if someone want to improve the mesh or program something better, they have a more detailed panel to work with.

Oh well. I don't think I'm at the level to do something like that. But the textures still look very nice ;)!

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Ed" is over at OH.

I just realized I forgot the US Flag shoulder patches. I'm not going back to rework them now or I'll never get the work on the pads done.

I'm sure one of you can throw a texture on if it really bothers anybody.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Well regardless, Ed looks beautiful. I'll go over and say hello to him. Great job!

Sideshow

Reaction score
"Ed" is over at OH.

I just realized I forgot the US Flag shoulder patches. I'm not going back to rework them now or I'll never get the work on the pads done.

I'm sure one of you can throw a texture on if it really bothers anybody.

Just tried it out now and it's great! Thanks very much :cheers:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For whatever reason, The OH RSS feed is failing to report this add-on as being available, but it is there:[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4131"]Gemini EVA Upgrade[/ame]

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
The EVA mesh is beautiful. I also prefer the "new" cabin on the exterior view.

The texturing on that is very basic so here are my photo-based textures for the cabin. These are a rough work in progress, but I think that they are good enough for sharing with the community.

You can download them from http://www.speedyshare.com/774672939.html
Please backup your original files.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent work 4throck!

I have to re-upload the add-on a little later anyway (I overlooked the fact that Donamy actually made the Gemini and VC model and need to correct that). With your permission, I'd like to include your new textures as well.