Mission 2 – Launch of Shuttle Constitution with Artemis Node

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
June 16th 2012 at 13:25 Zulu time, the Therius Space Agency (TSA) launched it's new shuttle called the Constitution. The shuttle was purchased from NASA as “surplus”. NASA has agreed to allow us to lease their facilities for shuttle storage, configuration and launch at Cape Canaveral. Booster rocket recovery was performed by TSA vessels.

Constitution's mission was to carry the Artemis Node to the new Therius Space Station (TSS). The node will be used for future expansion. Mission 4 will install a new docking port assembly for the CTV & ATV style docking mechanisms. This will leave 4 CBM connections for future modules.

Also on board Constitution was an URMS arm for the new station. This arm is necessary to expedite station construction. From the Cassiopee's docking port, the shuttle cannot reach the opposite end of the station with it's RMS arm. The URMS will remain on station for future construction.

The mission went well considering it was a first time evolution with the new shuttle. The crew was composed of only 2 pilots and 2 techs. There was a debate within the TSA to send another 3 members and leave them on-station, but the decision was made to send them up on the next mission (Mission 3) with a XR-2 Ravenstar instead.

Here are some highlights of Mission 2:

Launch from Cape Canaveral was a success. This shot is the Shuttle Constitution heading to orbit.

At approximately 11:00 Zulu time on June 17th, the shuttle docked to Cassiopee. No time was wasted as installation operations began about an hour later. The URMS was installed to Cassiopee and the Artemis module began its journey to the other end of the core module. Notice the pass off from shuttle RMS to station URMS.

The Artemis node reached it's final destination and docked to the Cassiopee port.

After this was done, one crew member performed a quick EVA to inspect the connection and the Cassiopee core for any signs of damage or unusual anomalies. The short EVA was a success as well as the Artemis module installation. No damage or anomalies were found.

Supplies & some equipment were loaded onto the station for Mission 3. The shuttle remained docked for a few more hours to give the crew time to sleep before their return to the Cape. On June 18th at 9:02 Zulu, the Constitution undocked and began it's trip back home. Three orbits later, the shuttle began reentry. Landing at the Cape occurred at 13:07 Zulu on June 18th. Here's a couple shots of the landing.

The XR-2 Mission 3, will consist of 7 members and their mission will be to bring the station completely online. The station will be ran through a series of tests and given a proper “shakedown” by the crew, before being officially ready for service. Once declared fully functional, 3 members will stay on-station (2 customers & 1 TSA support member) and the XR-2 will return to base with the other 4 members. Launch time will be June 28 2:10 GMT from Wideawake International, TSA's home base.

Mission 4, Constitution's objective is the delivery and installation of the docking port module. In the meantime, Constitution is being “turned around”/prepared for it's upcoming mission. This launch time will be announced soon.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wait, did you place the URMS on the station in this mission? As in, it wasn't there in the first mission? I want to know if that's possible, because that's really useful.

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Good question, thanks for asking Pipcard. Yes, I placed the URMS on the station during this mission. I realized that it would be much easier to construct the station while docked, instead of matching the station's movement with the shuttle and trying to attach it while keeping my movement nulled. The URMS is the perfect solution when the shuttle RMS cannot reach a location.

The Constitution carried the URMS to the station. Now, when I say "carried", I mean once I docked with the station, I "installed" it to the station with the Scenario editor. I could have tried to make it a cargo on the shuttle, but for the sake of simplicity I found it easier to just spawn it once I arrived.

However, it is now in my mission file/text for future use so I don't have to spawn it every mission. With the arm in place, I can move cargo from arm to arm and install the modules "normally". This feels much better to me. What do you guys think?