Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another one from the requirement management:

How should the warhead effect be like?

Few rapidly growing particles with proper "explosion" emissive texture.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

exp02.jpg

ETSExplosion1.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did it use the same warhead as the Standard missile? Then it is a Continuous rod warhead, a test of such a warhead looks like that:

CRWarheadTest.jpg

This page also explains warheads of the era pretty well:

http://www.okieboat.com/Warhead history.html

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did it use the same warhead as the Standard missile? Then it is a Continuous rod warhead, a test of such a warhead looks like that:

CRWarheadTest.jpg

This page also explains warheads of the era pretty well:

http://www.okieboat.com/Warhead history.html

No. That was range safety detonation we investigated few years ago for our rockets. Sizing of explosion is just matter of adjusting particle emiters.

Model is UVW mapped - rendering ambient occlussion map now. Then spliting into logical meshgroups and texturing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No. That was range safety detonation we investigated few years ago for our rockets. Sizing of explosion is just matter of adjusting particle emiters.

I meant the explosion for the Seekbat. :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I meant the explosion for the Seekbat. :lol:

Well - if you can code it, I can provide texture.

Anyways, ambient oclussion lighting done, simple texture generated and meshes are scaled to correct size.

agm_and_xaim02.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not sure the seeker window is blue. It looks like it is the same seeker as deployed on the AIM-9L sidewinder.

AIM-9L_DF-ST-82-10199.jpg

The kind of glass used in the 9L has been used for nearly all sidewinders since then.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No problem. That's just texture color to modify. I'll take care of it tomorrow when I port model to orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No problem. That's just texture color to modify. I'll take care of it tomorrow when I port model to orbiter.

OK. I am not sure about the colour being exactly that. Different photographs of the same Sidewinder model with the same seeker and the same MgF2 window glass look like a opaque white, others this brownish colour. Possibly the white ones are covered, I am not 100% sure there.

F-8_Crusader_SDACM_Sidewinder_missile.JPG

I would say, this is clearly a mock.

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
Let's wait till target audience speaks then.

Yes to the articulated rear fins. Been doing a bit of research and these were to have been used by F-15s and possibly F-4s, the only models of those we have are a bit old and I've not yet tested their compatability with Orbiter 2016.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes to the articulated rear fins. Been doing a bit of research and these were to have been used by F-15s and possibly F-4s, the only models of those we have are a bit old and I've not yet tested their compatability with Orbiter 2016.

Fins are already separate meshgroups with single point of rotation (pivot) to simplyfy coding (0, 0, -2.1). Now question: should I export it with + or X arangement (fin pointing up, down, left right, or angled at 45 degrees)?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fins are already separate meshgroups with single point of rotation (pivot) to simplyfy coding (0, 0, -2.1). Now question: should I export it with + or X arangement (fin pointing up, down, left right, or angled at 45 degrees)?

Well, I would prefer X. Most missiles that are not rotation-symmetric also show a typical X arrangement, as well as the newer German submarines...