Movie : Aniara

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looking for sci-fi movies I found that one. Now let's be clear : if you are subject to anxiety, claustrophobia or depression, just close that thread. If you are looking for a movie that will lift your spirit in those harsh times, pass your way.

Now, I couldn't say this is a good or bad movie. I found it fascinating, but also wish I never saw it. Well, not with that pandemia situation that makes it a bit too real. Anyway, you're warned (no, it won't end well). Oh and there's a space Probe too, so it is somewhat Orbiter-relevant. :hailprobe:

Aniara is a 2018 science fiction film written and directed by Pella Kågerman and Hugo Lilja. The film is an adaptation of the 1956 Swedish poem of the same name by Harry Martinson. The film is set in a dystopian future where climate change ravages Earth, prompting large-scale emigration from Earth to Mars. When such a routine trip veers off course the passengers of the Aniara struggle to cope with their new lives.
The film premiered at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival and was given a theatrical release in 2019 by Magnolia Pictures.

Aniara (meaning "despair" in ancient greek) can be compared to Melancholia (Lars von Trier), and is clearly about what Scandinavians name "Angst", what Charles Baudelaire named "Spleen". Soren Kierkegaard (danish philosopher) also wrote a lot about it. It depicts an humanity in agony, that does not believe in any kind of possible salvation, beyond the illusions of pleasure and even virtual reality (and even those substitutes will, in the movie, miserably fail).

What I find very interesting is that we're here beyond (or after, as Nietzsche would have said) any kind of morale, any clear separation between good and evil. All characters have their motives, their way to grasp to reality and to find a reason to live another day. Could we say the commander of the ship is evil ? No, he's in an impossible situation from the start : his status, as many things, quickly become meaningless. The main character also seems lost before the movie even really begins. She will prove to be extremely resilient and able to adapt to a terrible fate, keeping herself busy and making projects while others just give up (and the worst thing is that I can't even blame them for that).

I'd say one question could sum up the movie : "What's the point ?". The characters lose grasp one after another as soon as they face that question and can't find any answer.

Of course the humanity depicted in Aniara echoes with the environnemental disast- erm challenges we're facing nowadays, but it obviously goes beyond that. When you think to it, the only real difference between the spaceship Aniara and Earth is the scale : a small bubble slowly drifting in the Universe (to quote a character). And the above question remains, obviously.