New Release MPC Database Viewer/Exporter v2.0

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I've completed beta testing of version 2.0. I hope everybody enjoys the new improved version, as there isn't a single feature that hasn't been updated or changed, not to mention many new features. With this program, you will be able to travel to ANY asteroid or dwarf planet that is known. Enjoy!

---------------------

"MPC Database Viewer/Exporter" is a program that allows you to import any known asteroid and dwarf planet into either Orbiter or Celestia. It automatically creates all the files necessary, and automatically adds the planet into your sol.cfg file, allowing you to instantly start Orbiter and go to the minor planet without having to edit any files.

There are a total of 10 different small body meshes, plus a "rough sphere" mesh for objects large enough to be roughly circular. Objects above 900km in diameter are made into smooth spheres. There are also 5 different possible textures, this means that there are 50 different possibilities for what an asteroid can look at, 5 different possibilities for small spheres, and 5 different possibilities for smooth spheres.

When you start up the program for the first time, it will ask you for the folders for Celestia and Orbiter, if you do not have Celestia, just leave the default variable as it is.

To use the program, simply click on an minor planet that you want to put into Orbiter (or Celestia), and then click on "Export Single to Orbiter."

Alternatively, you can create a list of minor planets to add to Orbiter/Celestia by searching through the database for specific properties. If any of the minor planets have the same name as a minor planet/moon that is currently in your sol.cfg file, it will warn you before hand and let you rename it if you wish. If you do not wish to rename it, it will replace the old file, but not create a duplicate entry in your sol.cfg file. While it is possible to replace/update minor planets, you can not replace any moons, you must rename these.

Thirdly, you can create just the elements and update a file manually.

The program also has a built-in sol.cfg editor, allowing you to painlessly move around minor planets/moons and delete unwanted ones.

The program comes with a MPCORBcr.DAT file, downloaded on November 23rd 2008, however you can download a new one any time, plus other MPC files. The MPCORBcr.DAT file is very large, so it takes a few minutes to download. You can also download a database file manually from http://www.astro.cz/mpcorb/ .

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Some parts of the search don't work for me. I wanted to get some objects under 1 km so I entered 1 in "max", but the number of displayed objects didn't change, after that I entered 100 into "min" but it still showed small objects like Apophis.
The "Orbit Type" search works good.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Some parts of the search don't work for me. I wanted to get some objects under 1 km so I entered 1 in "max", but the number of displayed objects didn't change, after that I entered 100 into "min" but it still showed small objects like Apophis.
The "Orbit Type" search works good.

The code was set that you needed to put something in both the "min" field, and the "max" field. In other words, if you wanted to search for all objects under 1km, you had to put 0 into the min field as well. I've changed the code a bit to allow you to use only one, and min will default to 0, and max will default to 999999 (or 360, or whatever the appropriate maximum value would be). The new version is uploading to Orbit Hangar now (v2.0.3), it takes a little while for such a large program to upload, so if it isn't up when you read this, just give it a little bit.