Multiplayer Lite

OHM Multiplayer Lite 0.3

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
nbcfrosty submitted a new addon:

Multiplayer Lite - simple, zero config multiplayer

Welcome to the installation guide for the "multiplayer lite" mod for the Orbiter Space Flight Simulator. This mod allows you to join other players in an exhilarating space flight experience, keeping your simulation sessions synchronized for enhanced multiplayer interaction. Follow these steps to install the mod and join the fun!

Installation Steps​

1. Download the zip file of the Multiplayer Lite mod. Extract it into the root folder of Orbiter, ensuring...

Read more about this addon...

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
I have a DG hovering over a pad on brighton beach for anyone that wants to try this:

1707357016277.png

it's now running in a headless Orbiter instance so I have no control over the hovering DG. It's drifted from the pad a bit:

1707358892109.png

Last edited:

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Decided to try it out. Super easy to install and launch! Just need to activate the module in the launchpad and then sync with someone using the MFD and its done! I managed to fly with someone else out of Cape Canaveral. Who that person is though, I have no idea.
1707364213802.png
1707364222055.png
1707364229813.png

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
how does this work, out of curiosity?

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
how does this work, out of curiosity?

There is a web server, the orbiter plugin is the client. Client sends the local state vectors every 0.5 seconds, and receives the remote state vectors from server in the same call. Client only renders vessels whose MJD is within 10 seconds of the local simulation time. So as soon as a player syncs, it starts rendering that player in your session and vice versa.

edit:

It's meant to be unobtrusive and out of your way. You can leave it on, and most of the times there will be 0 players online. Even if there are players, they will be in their own time. When 2 orbinauts with this plugin installed are within 10 seconds apart in sim time, they can see each other in game. If a player leaves, or exits the 10 second window (they time warped), their vessel is labeled as "inactive" (deleting can sometimes cause CTD).

Names are your_vessel_name followed by a unique alphanumeric suffix to avoid naming collisions. Server automatically deletes sessions which are no longer connected. You can use the included MFD to see whose online and your relative time difference to them. You can use the MFD, R/T keys, scenario editor, or the included time acceleration dialog to sync to that player. Just get relative time difference close to 0 (number next to the player in MFD).

If you are playing with someone and are using voice comms, you can sync your simulation date with each other by voice as well. You just both need to be on same simulation date.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
Client sends the local state vectors every 0.5 seconds, and receives the remote state vectors from server in the same cal

It certainly works in general and especially for a sim, but 0.5 seconds might be a bit on the slow side. I mean, I'm just rediscovering the joys of online multiplayer and a ping of 220 ms is already somewhat noticeable. Might be worse if that adds on top of the half second interval. (edit: I know they're not exactly the same thing, but, if they add up , it could lead to noticeable lag. Might be iffy in stuff like air races or docking)

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is very cool. Looking forward to trying it out! Are you having to pay hosting fees to host the web server somewhere? I'm sure people would be willing to donate to support it if so.

Do you have any plans to allow people to host their own servers for clients to connect to, just in case you decide not to run your server forever?

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
This is very cool. Looking forward to trying it out! Are you having to pay hosting fees to host the web server somewhere? I'm sure people would be willing to donate to support it if so.

Do you have any plans to allow people to host their own servers for clients to connect to, just in case you decide not to run your server forever?

Hello. The hosting fees are peanuts. I plan on keeping the server up indefinitely, but if I need to take it down for whatever reason, I'll make sure to package it up so that others can run it on their own, too.

Looking forward to flying with ya!

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello. The hosting fees are peanuts. I plan on keeping the server up indefinitely, but if I need to take it down for whatever reason, I'll make sure to package it up so that others can run it on their own, too.

Looking forward to flying with ya!
Likewise! Might give this a try tonight :) (GMT). Btw, does this mean that ships can dock with one another? And what if you have more than one ship in your scenario?: Could we both meet at ISS? (What if you don't have the same ISS model I do? What do you see? Does that info get passed along in addition to the state vectors?)

When do you all tend to fly? Flight this weekend?

Last edited:

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
Had pleasure of playing around with someone briefly in Earth Orbit before I had to go eat dinner. That was fun.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Likewise! Might give this a try tonight :) (GMT). Btw, does this mean that ships can dock with one another? And what if you have more than one ship in your scenario?: Could we both meet at ISS? (What if you don't have the same ISS model I do? What do you see? Does that info get passed along in addition to the state vectors?)

When do you all tend to fly? Flight this weekend?
That's cool. Still hoping to learn the answers to some of these ^

nbcfrosty

Reaction score
1. Yes they can dock, you can perform a burn when docked and your burn will affect the docked remote vessels trajectory.

2. currently it'll "log in" using the focus vessel scenario starts out with, only.

3. the class name is transmitted, so if a remote vessel is for example an xr2 and you have it installed, it'll show up as an XR2 on your computer. But if by any chance you don't have xr2 installed, it'll show up as regular dg.

4. Haven't established a routine flying schedule but I am considering putting together a spreadsheet with datetime slots and doing flights regularly.

edit:

If 2 players started the same scenario on their computers and then synced up, they could meet at ISS, long as there is no external thrust on ISS. Overtime the position of the ISS between the 2 different orbiter instances may diverge quite a bit, tho. But on reasonably short scale, Orbiter will propagate ISS on each local client.

Last edited:

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
1. Yes they can dock, you can perform a burn when docked and your burn will affect the docked remote vessels trajectory.

2. currently it'll "log in" using the focus vessel scenario starts out with, only.

3. the class name is transmitted, so if a remote vessel is for example an xr2 and you have it installed, it'll show up as an XR2 on your computer. But if by any chance you don't have xr2 installed, it'll show up as regular dg.

4. Haven't established a routine flying schedule but I am considering putting together a spreadsheet with datetime slots and doing flights regularly.
That's pretty cool! I hope we encounter each other in the universe sometime soon then!

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is that you in the Dark Energy? BTW if that's you, I think you helped uncover a bug.... Seems your system clock might be off by about 26 seconds.
Yes, that's me! Can we try to dock? I hopped into one of your Delta Gliders. I think the refresh rate needs to be quicker
than .5 seconds. This is pretty cool! Are you on OF Discord?