My simple simpit with 2 Android tablets + phone

Jason_25

Reaction score
This is the second simple simpit I have come up with. The first used a secondary monitor laid out almost flat in front of the big one and Autohotkey to move all the external MFDs to the right position.

This is a little more work to set up for each flight but in the end you get an F35-like cockpit style that looks and functions well.

Hardware Ingredients:
1. Computer
2. Enormous monitor
3. Saitek X-52 with pedals
4. Targus color changing mouse
5. ??? brand keyboard with rotary volume dial
4. Bose bookshelf speakers (small Bose stuff can be good)
4. Asus Transformer TF-101 with keyboard dock (for positioning)
5. Asus Transformer TF-300 with keyboard dock (for positioning)
6. Samsung Galaxy Note (lightly duct-taped to one of the tablets)
7. Big computer desk to hold all this stuff

Software Ingredients:
1. Orbiter
2. WebMFD (running on both tablets to provide touchscreen MFDs)
3. Unified Remote (running on the phone to provide a touchscreen mouse and keyboard)
4. Wake Lock power manager (to keep the phone from sleeping)
5. Autohover MFD (for touch screen attitude and engine control)
6. Sensor MFD (for detecting any alien ships)
7. Thrust control MFD (for permanent killrot)

That is the beta Arrow Freighter in orbit with what I have found to be an optimal set of instrumentation.

MFDs displayed are sensor, orbit, sync orbit, align planes, surface, autohover, thrust control, and map. Transx and Map3D are then displayed on the "HUD view" displays when preparing for maneuvers.
So 8 + 2 MFDs are used. The software keyboard on the phone is used as a number pad or keyboard and the white space above is the virtual mouse pad for the touch mouse, which works with any Windows program. This actually works out better than the main monitor being a touchscreen because it is too big for that to be practical. Throttle and maneuvering with the touch keyboard are out of the question though because the programs I tried all sent only a very short keypress. The phone can display an MFD as well while cruising. As for MFD peculiarities, the Map3D MFD does not respond to keyboard control with external MFD or WebMFD. Also, Sensor MFD does not work well with WebMFD.

I don't use the camera pan controls, external view, or bridge movement controls This setup allows me to fly straight from the commander's seat and to move to the "HUD view" to plan maneuvers or when I want a better view. The advantages of this is immersion and not having to readjust the view "down" when switching views. If you notice I keep the camera panned down enough to see the main display and just be able to see the HUD as well. The external MFDs are located in blank spaces to the side as if they were mounted from the ceiling.

What could be improved:
More screens
WebMFD improvements
An MFD that incorporates the default autopilot controls (does it exist?)

Another nice thing about this setup is it can be easily moved around for cleaning or put to use doing other things. Also it fits in my closet.

Attachments

• IMG_20130117_210718.jpg
    IMG_20130117_210718.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20130117_211100.jpg
    IMG_20130117_211100.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20130118_152419.jpg
    IMG_20130118_152419.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20130118_152527.jpg
    IMG_20130118_152527.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

HazMatt

Reaction score
Amazing work! I like that you're able to run so many MFD's at the same time too.
Do you have additional pictures?

Jason_25

Reaction score
Cool thanks for your reply. I like lots of numbers and buttons to push in my spaceships and airplanes.

I just posted two more pictures from a different angle with the hopefully final set of MFDs I used / will use for the Arrow. They show the Arrow coming in for an ugly off-angle Mars aerobraking maneuver. I also filled in some extra information to the original post.

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, Jason 25!

Very impressive!

How did you get the ipad and iphone to work with orbiter? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How did you get the ipad and iphone to work with orbiter? Thanks!

There are two add-ons which can do that.

WebMFD: Thread, Latest version

VNCMFD: Thread, Latest version

If your tablet runs windows, you can also try NetMFD.

WebMFD is what the OP used. In my experience, WebMFD seems to be picky about the browser you use on the tablet, but apparently it works with iPad/iPhone. Otherwise, try VNCMFD -- that should work with anything which can run a VNC client.