OHM Myron Base

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: jplaja

Myron is a crater on Mercury. It has a diameter of 31 kilometres and is located just above the latitude 70 N. The location is ideal for a permanent human base. Mercury's surface experiences the greatest temperature variation of all the planets: anything near the equatorial belt would be melted down under the extremely high temperatures (427 °C; 800 °F); and anything near the North Pole would remain frozen under the extremely low temperatures (−93 °C; −136 °F) due to the permanent darkness of these regions.

Half of Myron crater is under permanent shadow and it contains icy water. That is where the base was built. The other half of the crater gets just enough sunlight to keep the crater to an acceptable temperature. That is where the solar power plant was placed.

The base gives house to a mining community dedicated to the exploitation of water for human consumption and also for the dissociation of water into hydrogen (rocket fuel) and oxygen (LOX cargo). Those elements are then pressurized and stored in large tanks.

Run the scenario “Myron Base” and enjoy a new landing place for your space flights!

DOWNLOAD

jplaja

Reaction score
Glad you liked it!
I always found Mercury kind of a sad, lonely and boring place to go to. So I decided to add a bit of sparkle to it with a new base. A place which looked misterious and attractive as you appoach to it.

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
Nice work..A little closer to gound zero mabe:tiphat:?
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.”:cheers:

jplaja

Reaction score
Thanks for commenting. Although I don't know what you mean by "little closer to ground zero".
I have to say that mercury's ground marks in orbiter 2010 do not correspond to what it is on the surface. They are generally misaligned. So in order to determine the exact location of Myron crater I had to search the surface photos provided by Messenger. That will need some fixing, I guess.
Anyway, glad to hear you liked the base!!