NASSP PGNCS surface landmarks for tracking

Reaction score
Hello I am wondering at one time I was using NASSP on orbiter and not Beta before I got wise to that I have since switched to Beta and transferred all the earth texture files over and moon texture files similarly as i needed to for FDAI textures

One thing that I am curious about is how to get those markers in Beta ... If I am not mistaken didnt at least Apollo 7 use earth surface landmarks or tracking to see if they were feasible ?

Besides using the Hi Res textures what else needs to be done as I did and do have them selected in planetarium mode

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
You can use the old o2016 surface markers in beta r90 by commenting out the ”LabelFormat = 2” line in “Earth_VirtualAGC.cfg” and “Moon.cfg”, both files in /Config/ProjectApollo/

FYI, when you update NASSP, you will need to do this cfg edit again.

Reaction score
Trying to do the first P52 in Apollo 11 and the computer is giving me stars outside of the view field or traverse range of the sextant... and entering V21 at V01N70 an d entering a star that is clearly in the view field on the first sighting is causing V09N45 404 alarm

did I mess anything up with the launch or GDC alignment or Duriing Ordeal Initialization ? it seems the computer is thinking I am at a different place in orbit
Is it because I am running the alignment about 5 minutes ahead of schedule in the checklist ?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like you might already have a wrong alignment. But that could only really happen if you started P11 not at liftoff (automatically) but a long time before that with V75. Does the mission time in the computer (V16 N65) align with the mission timer? If yes it must be something else. I can take a look at the scenario if you want.

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hmm, sounds like you might already have a wrong alignment. But that could only really happen if you started P11 not at liftoff (automatically) but a long time before that with V75. Does the mission time in the computer (V16 N65) align with the mission timer? If yes it must be something else. I can take a look at the scenario if you want.
Could also be a mistake on the alignments done at prelaunch?

Reaction score
Using the default apollo 11 scenario CMC time matches Mission Timer according to AOH A16V02 checklist page 4-518 if you enter V21 you can reject CMC star selection and enter one that may be in view but it keeps giving me V09N45 404 alarm even if I can center the crosshairs on it before I go into a P52 ( zeroing out sextant and lettin 15 seconds expire and putting optics into cmc before entering P52 opt 00003
I am wondering if Ive got some screwy data in the scenario file in the quicksave I launch from

Reaction score
heres the scenario file

Attachments

• Apollo 11 - Launch 0001 0001 0002 0002 0001 0001.zip
    31.3 KB · Views: 122

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I load that scenario I am not only getting a program alarm but also a restart. And the program alarms are quite bad. I've only ever seen this behavior when loading a scenario that was using a different AGC software version than it currently uses. Are you getting that behavior, too, when you load this scenario?

EDIT: Looks like that was the right idea. If I load the scenario using Artemis 72 (the Apollo 15-17 CMC software) then I get no restart and program alarms upon loading. Very interesting. By default the CMC version is Artemis 72, but there is a mission config file under \Missions\ProjectApollo for Apollo 11 (and all other missions) where the correct software version, in this case Comanche 55, is loaded. Did you delete the mission files by accident or something like that? Strange issue. Maybe your prelaunch scenario was using Comanche but in between you were somehow using Artemis. Something like that could maybe cause the alignment issue. Even if I get no program alarms loading that scenario, its alignment is bad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No Ive been working off the same scenario for about 3 weeks so I know I am not using the latest version but this is off the default apollo 11 launch scenario not in the Apollo Mission Scenarios folder

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So if you load the scenario you posted, do you get program alarms and a restart or not?

And concerning the issue with the CMC software version it seems to use, looking at your scenario I am quite convinced that it has been using Artemis instead of Comanche for all of the mission. There are a few numbers that are loaded dynamically into the computer the first time it gets acticated (when you push in the circuit breakers right at the beginning of the startup checklist). And that happens depending on the CMC version that is used and your scenario definitely has the Artemis parameters. So everything acts as if the file "Missions\ProjectApollo\Apollo 11.cfg" doesn't exist and it just uses the default CMC version which is Artemis. When you have loaded your scenario, please check the Orbiter.log file. For me it has this line:

000000.000: (Mission) Loading mission Apollo 11 from file Missions\ProjectApollo\Apollo 11.cfg

Do you have that, too? I would suspect no.

Reaction score
No program alarms or restart indications
and cfg file has comanche and lgc is luminary
no timestamps are indicated in any of the misson.cfg files

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
no timestamps are indicated in any of the misson.cfg files

The line I quoted would be in the Orbiter.log file, not one of the mission configs. Anything with "mission" in there? I am quite sure your mission has been using Artemis instead of Comanche from the beginning, but I have no idea why that would be. You can fairly quickly check. Just start Program 15 (V37E 15E). If you have that program it can't be Comanche.

Last edited:

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
What was the exact name of the scenario you started from? Do you maybe have an ancient scenario file that has since been removed from NASSP.

Reaction score
using the latest update /scenarios/project apollo nassp/ apollo 11 launch
I tried to update nassp and broke it so I reloaded everything and retried the scenario and it was popping the alarms you indicated so I am going to assume somewhere in my adventures of playing NASSP i messed up a save file somewhere

I think it is worth mentioning that I usually quicksave and start from those quicksaves as I am unsure how that works with the programming as I do that and I may jump around between Apollo 11 and Apollo 9 and Apollo 10 Maybe I should be either actual hard saving or putting these in seperate folders. Please advise on best practice for this

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
using the latest update /scenarios/project apollo nassp/ apollo 11 launch
I tried to update nassp and broke it so I reloaded everything and retried the scenario and it was popping the alarms you indicated so I am going to assume somewhere in my adventures of playing NASSP i messed up a save file somewhere

I think it is worth mentioning that I usually quicksave and start from those quicksaves as I am unsure how that works with the programming as I do that and I may jump around between Apollo 11 and Apollo 9 and Apollo 10 Maybe I should be either actual hard saving or putting these in seperate folders. Please advise on best practice for this
My guess is you had a corrupt install somehow in there. I would consider doing a fresh install of NASSP and then trying a fresh scenario file from it.

Regarding saving, quicksaves work just fine. I typically pause before saving myself but in any case it shouldn't be a cause of the issues you had.

Reaction score
Interesting note now that I am now working off a fresh install
I would try any file from Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Mission Scenarios\Apollo 11 and I would get program alarms etc and brushed it off as a bad scn file. Given the Beta status of this project and knowing its been in a state of flux for as long as I have been using it and enjoying it ... I just wrote it off as a bad/ incomplete or in work or on the to be worked list. for giggles I just started up the Apollo 11 - 10 - Before PDI Day T+94h and no restart or program alarms just a suit compressor light and master alarm and recycling the suit compressor 1 switch cleared it

Id love to help just cant code to save my life I am more of a hardware guy

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting note now that I am now working off a fresh install
I would try any file from Scenarios\Project Apollo - NASSP\Apollo - Mission Scenarios\Apollo 11 and I would get program alarms etc and brushed it off as a bad scn file. Given the Beta status of this project and knowing its been in a state of flux for as long as I have been using it and enjoying it ... I just wrote it off as a bad/ incomplete or in work or on the to be worked list. for giggles I just started up the Apollo 11 - 10 - Before PDI Day T+94h and no restart or program alarms just a suit compressor light and master alarm and recycling the suit compressor 1 switch cleared it

Id love to help just cant code to save my life I am more of a hardware guy
Right now all of those are WIP, and because of ECS changes, you will get a few alarms that will clear. Additionally the Checklist MFD position might be off.

However none of those should cause computer problems.

I would encourage you to try one of the fresh scenarios (Apollo 11 - Launch, for instance) and go from there, that way it isn't loading an older mission state like the mission scenario files.