Problem Need help aligning my surface tiles

ncc1701d

Reaction score
Question: I dont know what is wrong but I cant correctly align my 4 .dds tiles to face correctly on my venus base. My cfg and dds naming convention is below. My dds files are attached if you want to look and try.

The base tiles should be just south east of long 0 and lat 0.
I cant get it to work after trying multiple labling attempts.
thanks

--------------------------here is my Venus First Base cfg file
BASE-V2.0
Name = Venus First Base
Location = +0 +0
Size = 1000
ObjectSize =1000

BEGIN_SURFTILELIST
5 1 -1 1
5 2 -1 1
5 1 -2 1
5 2 -2 1
END_SURFTILELIST
-------------------------------------------------------------
names of my .dds files in textures 2 folder. They also attached as zip if you want a look.
Venus_5_e0001_s0001.dds
Venus_5_e0001_s0002.dds
Venus_5_e0002_s0001.dds
Venus_5_e0002_s0002.dds

Attachments

• Smilefacevenusbase.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 2
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I can't remember offhand the naming convention for tiles on the southern hemisphere (I don't think I ever placed any there), but from your two images it looks straightforward to deduce the correct transformation:
  • Rotate your source texture by 180 degrees (to get the smilie right way up)
  • Start the texture designations with e0000 instead of e0001 (to shift the corner to the correct location)
  • Swap the designations in both latitude and longitude (to assemble the smilie in the correct order)
Edit: Or replace steps 1 and 3 with this:
  • Rotate the final textures by 180 degrees

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I see the area covered is very small - so what I usually do to save time and number of tiles, I just generate a tile that is one level "bigger" and put all 4 little tiles into the big tile. With good use of DXT compression the file size wont get any bigger, the quality doesn't change, and if you ever find yourself creating huge terrain areas you can have 12 texture tiles to put in your CFG instead of a few hundred,

ncc1701d

Reaction score
thanks

Great! Thanks. Rotating 180 degrees solved all problems. I was flipping verticly not rotating. Surprised to notice how just flipping instead of rotating the .dds could cause so many problems even in terms of how the tiles are placed.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Venusians will be happy: they are guaranteed to have great supply of metals, composites and exoplanetary biological samples after each one-way landing.