Need Some Advice on Forum Moderation

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
I know that this is really off-topic, but since this forum seems to have a good moderation team, I was hoping for some advice.

About a week ago, an Internet forum (which shall remain nameless because you do not really need to know what I do) was launched. Now I do not actually moderate, but I wanted to help the existing administrators and moderators. (Inexperience seems rampant; the highest ranking members are only 19.) Here is the situation:

There seems to be a couple of problems with users giving "advice" on how to illegally obtain software. The rules specifically prohibit giving links to actual sites and other topics are usually just locked. Now that seems fine, but for topics that are still viewable, is there any chance that information available (not actual links, but tips such as "what to Google") could get members or the forum itself into legal trouble?

And second, in order to prevent such information from being publically viewed, one of the administrators (which I find kind of surprising) has instead suggested that members use the PM system to send information about illegal software. Should he really be encouraging this type of behavior? Could not such actions cause legal problems for the forum?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
As an administrator he should know better than to encourage anything illegal on his site. He is ultimately responsible for the site and if he encourages discussions about it in PM's then I would say he is opening himself up to possible legal issues. Of course PM's are not public nor monitored so whatever is discussed in the PM is between the people included in the PM, but if he is publicly saying that they should discuss such things in PM's then I'd say he could have a problem and it would be wise to avoid the problem all together. Write a well thought out disclaimer and forum rules to cover all the bases and ensure everyone knows it's not tolerated in any form is my advice.

EDIT: I would also suggest that threads and posts discussing illegal topics be completely deleted or at least moved into a hidden staff forum or trash can removing them from the public forums.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
No worries, anytime. Best of luck with the new forum!