OHM Nemesis

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: ignorethisbarrel

This adds the hypothetical (but probably doesn't exist) brown/red dwarf Nemesis.

It has a semi-major axis of ~35000 au, so some of you *might* experience some... problems.

It works fine for me though.

DOWNLOAD

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like your having fun!:) This reminds me of when i made my first planet. It was a really hot jovian. I wonder if i still have it floating around on my computer.:hmm:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Making single planets is always very fun!

Maybe I'll make a system that way... One planet/moon every day or so until I have a complete system...

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So we should assume it exists until that gets disproven? Who are you kidding?
I never said that. I was simply stating that it isn't yet disproven.

Are you saying we should jump to conclusions? Who are you kidding...

As for the terraformed moon, the funny thing is... Brighton Beach is actually on a beach!

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Ah, I can see why you might have thought that. I only put "not yet disproven" because on my other "hypothetical solar system bodies" addons I had put in parantheses their current status (disproven).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you saying we should jump to conclusions? Who are you kidding...

There might be an invisible pink teapot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars. Because we haven't yet disproven it, we have a reason to believe in it.

Yep, makes sense...

For the record, the orbit of Earth around the Sun is known to about 1 m, that includes the orbiting of the Sun around the solar system's barycenter. If there was a brown dwarf orbiting the Sun, with at least 13 times the mass of Jupiter, the gravitational influence would be well enough for the solar system's barycenter to shift. In fact, it would put the barycenter at 430 AU outside of the center of the Sun, where at most, with the combined influence of Jupiter and Saturn, it gets 2 solar diameters out.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
There might be an invisible pink teapot orbiting the Sun between Earth and Mars. Because we haven't yet disproven it, we have a reason to believe in it.

How can it be both pink, and invisible?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just launched a Deltaglider with unlimited fuel to it (just pointed towards it and burned). It took me nearly a year to get to reach 300,000 km/s. At 400,000 km/s I reached my periapsis 150 AU above Nemesis. It was still invisible at that distance. Then I put it into orbit with scenario editor. At that distance from sun I saw the numbers in Orbit MFD behaving a bit strange. Docking must be fun!
Great add-on. :cheers:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Yep, makes sense...

For the record, the orbit of Earth around the Sun is known to about 1 m, that includes the orbiting of the Sun around the solar system's barycenter. If there was a brown dwarf orbiting the Sun, with at least 13 times the mass of Jupiter, the gravitational influence would be well enough for the solar system's barycenter to shift. In fact, it would put the barycenter at 430 AU outside of the center of the Sun, where at most, with the combined influence of Jupiter and Saturn, it gets 2 solar diameters out.
Well I never said Nemesis existed. In fact, I think it doesn't exist. As I previously stated the only reason I put "hypothetical (not yet disproven)" is because on Crateris and Vulcan I put "hypothetical (disproven)".

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I never said Nemesis existed. In fact, I think it doesn't exist. As I previously stated the only reason I put "hypothetical (not yet disproven)" is because on Crateris and Vulcan I put "hypothetical (disproven)".

The point I'm trying to make is that there's nothing to disprove.
The default position is that the star doesn't exist. If it does, then you can prove it's existence by discovering it. You can't go out assuming things are true and need to be disproved, just because you saw it in some documentary or read about it in a book.

Moreover, I have to say I doubt the stability of such a system. In the course of millions of years, other stars in the Milky Way fly near the Sun. Those could easily disrupt the system...

Last edited:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Planet X marks the spot...
Planet MMXII is more like it :p

Risingfury said:
The point I'm trying to make is that there's nothing to disprove.
The default position is that the star doesn't exist. If it does, then you can prove it's existence by discovering it. You can't go out assuming things are true and need to be disproved, just because you saw it in some documentary or read about it in a book.

Moreover, I have to say I doubt the stability of such a system. In the course of millions of years, other stars in the Milky Way fly near the Sun. Those could easily disrupt the system...

That's what I was saying the entire time. It hasn't been proven.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can't go out assuming things are true and need to be disproved, just because you saw it in some documentary or read about it in a book.
Maybe if you'd read his post, you'd notice that the argument you think exists doesn't exist. ;)