Hardware New Machine Revisit

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all. This is kind of a retouch of a recent thread (Recommendations for a New Machine), but one that hasn't seen new responses in a couple of weeks.

I'm also considering a new platform, one totally dedicated to Orbiter and associated programs, plus a few other games I play infrequently at most. My current system is a 4 year old Compaq laptop, lower mid-range quality when new but ideal for the roaming lifestyle of a field archaeologist, living out of hotels 10 months of the year. It handles Orbiter alright as long as you hate your frame-rate, and don't mind stock planet textures or quirky pitch programs during launch sequences. And you must LOVE having Shuttle Fleet in your install and not being able to use it.

I know (ball park) what I'm looking for, but I'd like to hear from folks who have a rig in the same range, to get an idea of what hardware combinations yield optimal results. (For me, "optimal" means high frame-rate with an emphasis on smoothness of operation during the most computationally intensive sessions, even at the cost of graphics.)

What I'm thinking: Dual or quad core in the 3 Ghz area, 6-8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. I don't really know much about graphics cards except that the higher the model number the more expensive it is, so any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Cost is always a major deliminator, and I'd like to save a few bucks for a decent monitor so I can enjoy my new and improved Orbiter experience. Let's say 800 as an upper end for the tower rig.

Thanks for your thoughts. :hailprobe: