Gaming New Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean? It'll of course download ca. 100GB of data, but otherwise what do you mean by "resource intensive"?
The way it was described as working reminded me of the SWTOR downloader/launcher. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it uses up a lot of system resources during most of the download/install process and makes it hard to do pretty much anything the entire time. Sounds like its not the case here though.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
The way it was described as working reminded me of the SWTOR downloader/launcher. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it uses up a lot of system resources during most of the download/install process and makes it hard to do pretty much anything the entire time. Sounds like its not the case here though.
Ah ok: yes, oddly enough it keeps the GPU loaded quite a bit during download, which is odd.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When is the 79gb update coming?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
When is the 79gb update coming?

It was supposed to be yesterday but I read MS postponed it to next week. If you run the sim the patch is there but the related checkbox cannot be ticked yet.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So far guys what are your first impressions?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well for me the tutorial's broken (can't get past the part it tells me to look out the window, no matter what I do it won't move on). The default control profile for my HOTAS/Pedal combo are a mess. T16000m with throttle and TFRP. Managed to take off from my town's airport and fly to the next town over.

wNxKaH6.jpg

I don't think this is right.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well for me the tutorial's broken (can't get past the part it tells me to look out the window, no matter what I do it won't move on). The default control profile for my HOTAS/Pedal combo are a mess. T16000m with throttle and TFRP. Managed to take off from my town's airport and fly to the next town over.

The tutorial stopped working for me at the same point.
My local airport is MIA.
I'm just lurking until it runs a bit smoother. Too busy at work ATM.

wNxKaH6.jpg

Knife-edge taxi?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Should be ok if the grass isn't muddy.;)

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Quoting from The Verge:

You can now play Microsoft’s Flight Simulator in VR​

With today’s free update, Asobo Studio has added support for OpenXR-compatible headsets, which include Windows Mixed Reality headsets as well as the Valve Index, HTC Vive, and the Oculus Rift and Oculus Quest (if you use a Link cable).

Microsoft originally announced that the VR feature would be coming first to the HP Reverb G2. This latest update includes support for most Windows Mixed Reality headsets, Oculus, Valve, and HTC headsets.

Also:
The update is also giving the world a winter makeover, adding snow and ice to the variety of weather conditions in the game’s real-time weather simulation. According to a blog post by the head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, the game will now “add real-time snow and true-to-life ice coverage to the entire planet.”

Christmas came a few days early this year! :love:

EDIT:
Had time to try out the new VR mode this evening on my HP Reverb G2 VR headset and Saitek X52 Pro HOTAS. Notes and first impressions:
  • If you have HDR enabled in your flight simulator graphics settings, disable HDR and restart the sim before switching to VR mode; otherwise, your VR headset will see a yellow screen and VR mode won't work (this is a known issue).
  • You don't need to launch the sim from in Stream VR or Microsoft Mixed Reality: you can switch to/from VR mode at any time using CTRL-TAB.
  • Press SPACE BAR at any time to recenter/reset your pilot viewpoint in VR mode.
  • You control your plane using the exact same controls you use for 2D mode; i.e., a mouse to interact with the cockpit and a HOTAS (or joystick) to fly the plane. If you map your most important controls to your HOTAS buttons, it's still intuitive in VR mode.
  • Turn off your VR controllers; you won't need them. In addition, for me, when the VR controllers auto-powered off after a few minutes of idle time, it paused the simulator for 30 seconds or so.
  • Hold down your right mouse button to view the 3D cockpit up close. This made updating the controls easier in VR with the mouse, and it worked well.
  • You don't need to fiddle with your graphics settings for VR; the simulator automatically adjusts them for a good VR framerate (your 2D graphics settings are unchanged). You will notice that the 3D cockpit instruments update at a lower rate than in 2D mode, but the outside scenery framerate is smoother.
  • Switching to/from external views works in VR just like in 2D mode.
I took off and landed at KSEZ a few times in my Diamond Air DA62 light twin tonight, and flying in VR was a lot of fun! The difference in spatial awareness when you are on approach for landing is huge, and it felt like I really was sitting in the cockpit. Gonna try some proper flights over vacation next week. (y)

Last edited:

Azul Quinton

Reaction score
So far guys what are your first impressions?
Surprisingly but usually I stumble upon only positive reviews about this game. As a rule when some highly anticipated game comes out there are a lot of negative reviews too but MFS is an exception :)

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Video posted by @garyw in Discord chat:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

wNxKaH6.jpg

I did not see a NOTAM for that. Someone will get in trouble...

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Honestly feels like MS just stole my money on this one. Probably would have refunded it if I hadn't passed my 2 hours in game downloading not even 10% of the original game files. I doubt I have anywhere near 2 hours sitting in an actual plane, though according to steam I've over 120. Games that have their own internal downloads like this shouldn't be allowed on steam.

pushkin

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Honestly feels like MS just stole my money on this one. Probably would have refunded it if I hadn't passed my 2 hours in game downloading not even 10% of the original game files. I doubt I have anywhere near 2 hours sitting in an actual plane, though according to steam I've over 120. Games that have their own internal downloads like this shouldn't be allowed on steam.
I refunded a while after it came out. Steam loosened their refund policy for FS2020 because of that in game downloader.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm very out of the loop. What's the issue?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I refunded a while after it came out. Steam loosened their refund policy for FS2020 because of that in game downloader.
Was just denied because its been 2 over weeks. Should have just gone with my gut and not wasted my time or money on it in the first place.

Last edited:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com