Surface Base New Rome

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
dgatsoulis, can you share the "addon" on the forum ? I'd love to fly to that base :)

Here is everything you need.

Prerequisites:

1.Orcus Patera

2. D3D9 client for Orbiter 2016

2. [Optional but highly recommended] Complete Mars High Resolution Texture Set. (Don't forget to read the installation instructions).

Unzip the attached file in your Orbiter2016 folder and run the "DeltaGlider at New Rome" scenario.

zkMb0Y.jpg

:cheers:

Attachments

• New Rome.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 173

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Looks and works great! Thank you!

Now I'm waiting for the updated Arrow Freighter :salute:

Thanks for testing, glad you like it. :cheers:

Still working on the Arrow. I have most of the features that I want present.

Finished:
SC4 conversion
- Thrusters, dock ports, attachments, external animations
- VC with 2 MFDs (no working buttons)

Lua Script
- Moving attachment points with animations
- 3 working displays (Thruster levels, O2, G-load, Temperature and DNP, Systems info (bay doors, gravity wheel, gear, crew elevator, azure elevator, airlock info, lander clamp).
- Variable thrust/isp engines. (Interplanetary and Orbital engine configurations, turning it into a torch-ship).

TODO:
-Fuel Scoop
-Failures: O2, G-load, Temp, Dynamic Pressure.
-Sounds

Already meshed and animated the scoop. Needs textures and then a script.

emrys

Reaction score
New Rome in the Canyon

degatsoulis, my New Rome fell into the canyon when I loaded it. Is something not set up on my system?

Attachments

• 19.06.08 22-35-58 DG.jpg
    19.06.08 22-35-58 DG.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 82

llarian

Reaction score
In your base configuration for New Rome, adjust the latitude to -5.4245 and the longitude to -79.986.

degatsoulis, my New Rome fell into the canyon when I loaded it. Is something not set up on my system?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Actually the base coordinates in the zip file provided on post #1 of this thread are correct. Long: -79.99, lat: -5.43

This is where the base shows up on my end, using those coordinates:

BNLrAT.jpg

Now that I think about it, the only difference is that I am using the Mars HRSC high-resolution package, which requires a few changes in the Config\Mars.cfg file.
The discrepancy we see here, should stem from the change in the size of Mars' radius (Size = 3.390e6 instead of the default 3.38992e6).

To fix this problem, either change the Size line in Config\Mars.cfg to 3.390e6 or move the base to the coordinates llarian suggested.

Deathbane

Reaction score
Sorry for asking, but is there a version of this that does not require an addon installed that needs UMMU?

im desperate for some mars bases, as mars complete seems knackered and ive had troubles porting it.

But at same time I don't want to load down orbiter with lots of crash prone plugins.

SpaceflightPotato

Reaction score
I've installed everything according to the instructions yet the base appears like this1641947189381.png

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did you forget editing the base.cfg file?

llarian

Reaction score
There was a time when several of us preferred to play from Mars to the Asteroid belt. I uploaded a kmz (Google Earth Pro) file a while back which included locations for several Mars bases and locations based mostly on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. I have my own bases prepared for Sheffield (sitting at the top of Pavonis Mons) and one placed at Erebus Montes (Spacex City). I use these two as development and have used them only privately and not published them. I suspect many other Orbinauts have done the same.

predattak

Reaction score
I've installed everything according to the instructions yet the base appears like thisView attachment 27516
I just tested the base and it works 100%
With the standard low res mars i got what you have here so you need the HD mars elevation.

I suggest you try this again. With all new files.
First delete the addon folders that you extracted ( just in case you modified any cfg stuff in them, start from 0 again, extract them again and don't change anyrhing)

After that make sure that your HD mars files are up to date. What do i mean by that, some people still have the old HD mars from 2016. They have been updated to a much better package.

Go to orbiter - textures - mars - archive and check the size of your files
The elev.tree size on disk should be about 8.7 gb
The surf.tree size on disk should be about 12.6 gb

If the size or your files is smaller... you most probably have the old hd or a corrupted download somehow.

Go here (europe mirror)

Or here for US

Go to Mars and download the surface and elevation files.

You should have these:
Hd mars surf and elevation files
Orcus patera addon
New rome addon from here

1. Install the HD mars and make sure that you follow the instructions on how to do that to the letter, don't forget to modify the mars cfg
After that start orbiter and make sure that the HD mars works

2. Install the orcus patera addon

3. Install the New Rome addon.

Done. Open orbiter and launch the dglider at new rome scenario.

You should not need to modify any of the new rome cfgs or anything, it works from the start.

--------------------------------------------------------

With the standard low res mars
low.png

With the "new" HD mars
hd.png

Last edited:

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So, just to clarify, this New Rome addon makes Orcus Patera compatible with Orbiter 2016 and removes the need for UGCO and other non-2016 compatible items?
Because everything I had seen previously suggested Orcus Patera was Orbiter 2010 only. Thanks in advance!

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
So, just to clarify, this New Rome addon makes Orcus Patera compatible with Orbiter 2016 and removes the need for UGCO and other non-2016 compatible items?
Because everything I had seen previously suggested Orcus Patera was Orbiter 2010 only. Thanks in advance!
No, it doesn't make Orcus Patera compatible with Orbiter 2016. New Rome is a base for Orbiter 2016 that uses assets (meshes and textures) from the 2010 Orcus Patera addon.
If you follow predattak's instructions from post #12, you will get the result shown in the pics.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No, it doesn't make Orcus Patera compatible with Orbiter 2016. New Rome is a base for Orbiter 2016 that uses assets (meshes and textures) from the 2010 Orcus Patera addon.
If you follow predattak's instructions from post #12, you will get the result shown in the pics.
I see his instructions, but it just says "install Orcus Patera".... but it doesn't mention removing anything that was incompatible or the fact that Orbiter 2016 doesn't support its dependencies. So is "new rome" basically overwriting those issues and acting as a compatibility patch?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I see his instructions, but it just says "install Orcus Patera".... but it doesn't mention removing anything that was incompatible or the fact that Orbiter 2016 doesn't support its dependencies. So is "new rome" basically overwriting those issues and acting as a compatibility patch?
The reason you need to install Orcus Patera is for New Rome to be able to use the meshes and textures (together with some that I've created).
New Rome isn't anywhere near Orcus Patera on Mars.
You can delete Orcus Patera cfg file from Config\Mars\Base\ (or keep it, it's up to you).

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The reason you need to install Orcus Patera is for New Rome to be able to use the meshes and textures (together with some that I've created).
New Rome isn't anywhere near Orcus Patera on Mars.
You can delete Orcus Patera cfg file from Config\Mars\Base\ (or keep it, it's up to you).
Understood, but what I guess I'm asking is whether I need to delete any aspects of Orcus to prevent it from breaking Orbiter 2016 somehow? Or does it actually work in 2016, just without the extra UCGO features?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Understood, but what I guess I'm asking is whether I need to delete any aspects of Orcus to prevent it from breaking Orbiter 2016 somehow? Or does it actually work in 2016, just without the extra UCGO features?
No it won't break your Orbiter 2016 installation. I haven't used it lately but IIRC it works as a base, without the extra UCGO stuff. The visuals aren't too good either because the ground blending wasn't made for Orbiter 2016. My recommendation is to download it and then delete the Config\Mars\Base cfg file and the OrcusPatera scenarios.
Then download New Rome and you'll have the base shown in the pics in this thread.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds good. Awesome work btw. You're significantly improving the orbiter experience :)

Update: Works like a charm :)

Last edited: