garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
After several years my trusty old netgear is having a few issues and needs to be rebooted far too often. I'm looking to replace it but I want to get one that has a proper configurable firewall and proper configurable QoS - not just for VOIP traffic but for any traffic.

Any suggestions as to a suitable replacement. Flashing lights are mandatory! :lol:

Thanks.

fredericva

Square shaped orbit
Reaction score
Website
www.classic-gaming.net
I have a Linksys WRT320N.
So far it has been really fast (1gbps wired and 320mbit/s wifi) and stable, and it has some nice QoS features.

The firewall is very basic though (no custom rules), but if you like to tinker with your hardware, it can run the dd-wrt custom firmware, which does have extensive firewalling and QoS capabilities: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58566

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The Linksys WRT54 series comes highly recommended and they can run tomato.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Linksys WRT54 series comes highly recommended and they can run tomato.
I have the Linksys WRT54G2, which is I guess what the version they're selling now is. It's not supported by tomato or dd-wrt, and the stock firmware kind of stinks--for example, no support for static assignment of ip addresses to MAC addresses via DHCP (I had thought this was a very basic feature, but apparently they didn't) and a very short list of pass-through ports.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I have the WRT54G with DDWRT on top of it. Really nice QoS options and the ability to run virtual networks is wonderful. Find one of the older ones on ebay and flash DDWRT on it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Thanks guys. I've managed to get hold of a spare WRT54G so I can mess around with firmware options before plugging it into the internet.

I appreciate the suggestions.