New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why did human tribes unite to form larger units in the first place? There are intrinsic benefits to being part of a larger group.

Why didn't the world unite into a single country?

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
We've had large multinational alliances for centuries.

Multinational alliances make sense but having a single all powerful empire ruling 90% of the Galaxy for millinea...logical flaw right there.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Multinational alliances make sense but having a single all powerful empire ruling 90% of the Galaxy for millinea...logical flaw right there.
The Galactic Empire formed rather quickly out of the old Galactic Republic, and was only in power for a few decades. Palpatine had built up a massive loyal military force under the guise of peacekeeping, and then declared "we're now the Empire, join us or die." Naturally, people joined.

As for the Galactic Republic, it's shown to be a whole lot more like the UN than a single country in the prequel trilogy--and we have one of those now.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Still doesn't explain how would the galactic empire form in the first place.

The same way all empires form. They kill people who oppose them. Grand Moff Tarkin demonstrated this principle at Alderaan.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Why didn't the world unite into a single country?

Because humans are tribal. You need to have a tribe of your own (preferably your own empire-sized tribe), and an outsider tribe or two to blame all your problems on.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

The Galactic Empire formed rather quickly out of the old Galactic Republic, and was only in power for a few decades. Palpatine had built up a massive loyal military force under the guise of peacekeeping, and then declared "we're now the Empire, join us or die." Naturally, people joined.

As for the Galactic Republic, it's shown to be a whole lot more like the UN than a single country in the prequel trilogy--and we have one of those now.

The Star Wars "galaxy" reminds me a lot of the Milky Way in Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, which starts out united by force under an empire but can't hold together because it's just so big and spread out. In Star Wars it seems like you can travel across the galaxy a lot faster than in Asimov's, but there are still forgotten planets all over the place like Dagobah and Hoth.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The same way all empires form. They kill people who oppose them. Grand Moff Tarkin demonstrated this principle at Alderaan.
Actually, that was more of "kill people just to demonstrate that you can, and then others won't oppose you..."

#RememberAlderaan
#EvilEmpire

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I remember reading that Isaac Asimov was an inspiration in some ways to George Lucas, among many other inspirations.

In the "Star Wars" universe the Galactic Empire rose out of the Clone Wars. Throughout the war, while people grew to desire security more than freedom, and while billions were slaughtered, amendments to the Galactic constitution were added that consolidated power to the Supreme Chancellor and the Jedi, being fierce warriors and the leaders of these armies, were quickly viewed by many as the enemy of peace and justice rather than the guardians. By the time Palpatine framed the Jedi Order and proclaimed an Empire, the transition was easy because the Galactic Republic was essentially the Empire already by that time.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Multinational alliances make sense but having a single all powerful empire ruling 90% of the Galaxy for millinea...

Milenia? the empire was around for what, 30 years or so? Historically, it would be nothing more but a fluke in a time of transition from the old republic to the new one.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not just referring to the empire, I'm referring to the republics that came before and after it too.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Uhg I wish it would just end already.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Everything new is bad! Things should never change! Orbiter should have stayed as it was in 2001 because graphical updates are unnecessary. /s

(I'm obviously getting something wrong here, but seriously, why are people so resistant to change and new things?)

(But I think I see the point: I have seen comparisons with a hypothetical famous artist making changes to their own painting, the original version of which has already become well-known.)

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't mind new stuff, so long as it's good. Good is subjective I know, but please, at least 90 minutes of my life was ruined by JarJar. I'll never get that time back :(

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I understand that overuse of cgi/green screen can be detrimental (because it's intangible and harder for the actors to interact with), but seriously, cgi is not the devil.
I could never relate to this kind of lamenting over the original Star Wars, because I never lived in the seventies or eighties. In fact, the first Star Wars movie me and my parents watched almost ten years ago was Episode III on DVD, because it was the most recent one that came out. Totally confused about what was going on. Then I saw Episode I, II, and then IV, V, and VI, and that is how I became a Star Wars fan when I was a kid. By watching all the films.

When I was younger, I saw some side-by-side clips from the special edition compared to the originals, and thought that the s.e. looked much better. Then I learned that I was supposed to hate it because graphical updates are apparently bad and unnecessary.

I haven't seen Star Wars for several years (because some of the DVDs don't fully work anymore). If I were to watch the prequels now, I would probably think it's bad, but that's only because people told me about how the acting was bad, and how I would have "poor taste" if I thought it was good, etc. And yes, I did see RedLetterMedia's dissections a few years ago - basically some well-argued points and a lot of nitpicking, interspliced with some so-called "dark humor" skits which I don't really pay attention to.

Also, there was a lot of scenes involving bureaucracy in the prequels (i.e. the whole trade dispute/taxation thing in Episode I). I thought I would get it better when I was a late teen/young adult, but even the adults thought it was boring for a fantastic space opera.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There is no greater fallacy than to think that everything new is automatically better than the status quo.

Well, perhaps the one to think that the status quo is the perfect ending to everything and the universe.

:cheers:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not just referring to the empire, I'm referring to the republics that came before and after it too.
Except the republics weren't a "single all powerful empire." As I've already pointed out, they were a lot closer to the UN.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Everything new is bad! Things should never change! Orbiter should have stayed as it was in 2001 because graphical updates are unnecessary. /s

(I'm obviously getting something wrong here, but seriously, why are people so resistant to change and new things?)

(But I think I see the point: I have seen comparisons with a hypothetical famous artist making changes to their own painting, the original version of which has already become well-known.)

Actually there was alot of resistence to graphic upgrades, in the early Orbiter days. It was stated that the eye candy, would make it too much like a game.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't want to hate it before giving it a chance, but I can't shake this feeling of dread that it's going to be disappointing. But a chance I will give it, even if disappointment I may face.

I still can't get over "the line." I think it will be second only in cinematic history to "No, I am your father."

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm drawing a blank as to what "the line" is.