New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, the strict dichotomy of the Force has always bothered me, too. Just like with most things, there's probably a spectrum there, that neither side was truly willing to explore. Perhaps that's what Luke is aiming for, the destruction of that dichotomy of Light and Dark, Jedi and Sith.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yeah, the strict dichotomy of the Force has always bothered me, too. Just like with most things, there's probably a spectrum there, that neither side was truly willing to explore. Perhaps that's what Luke is aiming for, the destruction of that dichotomy of Light and Dark, Jedi and Sith.
Reminds me of Kreia, from KOTOR II.

Also, I hope Finn spends the entire movie unconscious in that tube, so we can be spared his Jar Jar-like antics.

Last edited:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here's something neat I found on Reddit today:

kjq4bbtkry631.jpg

Its a graph of the amount of tickets sold for each Star Wars movie versus the population at the time and place of release. What I find really amazing about this is that for the original film, they only included in initial run in 1977 according to the reddit post. Star Wars' first run was actually a pretty limited release for the day, and didn't get an expanded run until 1978/79. Shows just how big of a thing that first movie was.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I really dig the *sound* in the new trailer, but... This looks bad. As in "I thought somebody pranked me with the "official trailer" title" bad.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Unless i googled some parody, it looks even more of a procedural movie generator output than the previous couple of movies.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Look at that, I completely forgot to actually post the trailer along with my comment... that wasn't the plan :lol:
fixed now. In any case:

What do you think is bad about it? (not arguing, genuinely curious to know your thoughts)

For starters, literally half the trailer are not scenes from the movie it is advertising. I don't think I've ever seen this. Now, I could take that to mean that they're trying to Endgame this and those scenes are *actually* in the movie, making it effectively the cinema version of a clip-episode. But this isn't Endgame, and I don't believe that trick can be pulled more than once.

Of course, most likely that won't be the case, and half of this trailer is in fact not showing off the movie it's claiming to show off. If the series wouldn't be almost universally known, one might go as far as calling it false advertising. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the movie, because apparently its creators think it's not good enough to stand on its own.

In any case, once the trailer arrives in its own movie, it just becomes so terribly generic. The opening shot is nice, that dessert scene looks genuinely interesting, but then it's literally just:
* spaceships from the good guys!
* Spaceships from the bad guys in a dumb formation!
* Some faces!
* An explosion!
* Lightsaber!
* Another lightsaber!
* These two lightsabers fighting!
* Stupid lightsaber!

Aaaand that was the trailer, paired with a voiceover that I'm not sure how much sense it makes. Basically all the emotional weight comes from the score, the scenes depicted. I closed my eyes and only listened to the trailer, and the emotional impact is about the same. Oh, and it wasn't until I did that that I realised the narrator was Palpatine. So unless somebody had a really brilliant idea, we're probably going to have a Palpatine ex machine at some point during the movie. Or it might just be a red herring like the other stuff from the old movies? I dunno...

And don't get me started on that switchblade lightsaber. I don't know who thought it looked cool, to me it really just looks stupid. If they'd have made a butterfly kind of construction, that would have some interesting potential, but just "lightsaber that folds up to be less convenient than a normal lightsaber" is... baffling.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Aaaand that was the trailer, paired with a voiceover that I'm not sure how much sense it makes. Basically all the emotional weight comes from the score, the scenes depicted. I closed my eyes and only listened to the trailer, and the emotional impact is about the same. Oh, and it wasn't until I did that that I realised the narrator was Palpatine. So unless somebody had a really brilliant idea, we're probably going to have a Palpatine ex machine at some point during the movie. Or it might just be a red herring like the other stuff from the old movies? I dunno...

Force ghosts are a thing in Star Wars, so as long as they limit it to that, they could tell a fairly compelling story in which Palpatine made an appearance. On the other hand, they could have him cloned, in good ol' expanded universe tradition. I never read those particular EU books, so I can't speak for their quality, but Episode IX with a cloned emperor would not *necessarily* be worse than that, though it would be unlikely to be better...

Frankly, I've been nervous about Episode IX since Episode XIII came out and it was plainly obvious that they'd planned to have Leia mentor Rey. They could have worked around Carrie Fisher's death, but they'd written a certain bit that can't be discussed without spoilers into episode VIII, which would have been *perfectly fine* if Carrie Fisher hadn't died.

And don't get me started on that switchblade lightsaber. I don't know who thought it looked cool, to me it really just looks stupid. If they'd have made a butterfly kind of construction, that would have some interesting potential, but just "lightsaber that folds up to be less convenient than a normal lightsaber" is... baffling.

Wait. Isn't a lightsaber already, in effect, a big switchblade?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Dark Rey's lightsaber has canonical roots, as it allows you to fold a full-length saberstaff into a more compact form for transport, usually at the small of the back. However, the activation of both blades while folded is decidedly unusual, and impractical as anything other than intimidation.

That said, I don't trust a trailer for a movie of this scope, with security this tight around the plot, to be an honest assessment of the movie itself. I.E., it's loaded with stuff specifically to make people curious, and edited in such a manner as to hide the actual plot. Think back to the trailers for "The Last Jedi" and "The Force Awakens". How indicative were they of the actual contents of the film?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The most interesting part of the trailer for its implications on the movie has already been debunked by the star wars website.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Think back to the trailers for "The Last Jedi" and "The Force Awakens". How indicative were they of the actual contents of the film?

Not very, and I don't expect them to (certainly where plot is concerned), but at least they were interesting.

Dark Rey's lightsaber has canonical roots, as it allows you to fold a full-length saberstaff into a more compact form for transport, usually at the small of the back. However, the activation of both blades while folded is decidedly unusual, and impractical as anything other than intimidation.

I'm aware of all of that, it just looks silly with both blades out, not intimidating. It's not a big deal on its own, it's just one of those elements that make me lose confidence in movie makers pretty fast. I can totally live with the rule of cool, especially in a star wars movie, but then it should be cool. And if the writers don't think just a little bit further than "hey, that would look cool" in a brainstorm session, you get stuff like ballistic laser bullets in the last jedi. The bombers potentially fall into that category too, though I'm willing to give them a pass because they did in fact make for a cool scene if you managed to turn your brain of completely in time, and kind of jive with the whole "WW2 in space" aesthetic that star wars has going on.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What do you think is bad about it? (not arguing, genuinely curious to know your thoughts)

Disney ? :hmm:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the other hand, "the mandalorian" trailer actually looks pretty cool:

Shame I'll never sign up to disney's streaming service. There's still a chance Netflix will get it in Switzerland though, since they're still carrying most of the disney program here, but that joy's probably not going to last much longer.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Spoiler Free review of Rise of Skywalker:
:kim-welp:

:picard-facepalm:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That bad, huh? Real shame, I *do* like the cast of these three movies. Had hoped they could at least go out with a bang.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Episode 7 due for release in 2015. No idea on what the plot is, other than it was confirmed by a video statement by Lucas. Will probably continue the story of Luke Skywalker.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

EDIT: Extra-confirmation here: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni39564885/

Glad to see there will be more of them, I grew up with this series, no matter how bad the prequels were. Anything with Luke, Han and co. is better than whiny Anakin.

I have never been more wrong in my life.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yeah, as i mentioned before the more i see these new movies, the more i like the prequels. Whiny under-edited sitcom or not, at least they had a plot and a story.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I saw it with both kiddos. I think there were some noteworthy moments. I'll admit those moments were short lived (maybe about 45 seconds worth).

There may be some future in a spinoff story based on Lando's comment "Let's find out".

Also I thought it was pretty cool that Rey had picked up one of Vader's abilities. Makes her pretty much a badass in a gun(blaster)fight.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yeah, as i mentioned before the more i see these new movies, the more i like the prequels. Whiny under-edited sitcom or not, at least they had a plot and a story.

They were also unintentionally hilarious, especially Revenge of the Sith.

These movies just suck. Boring, uninspired, uninteresting.

*except Rogue One, I liked that one actually.