Gaming No Man's Sky

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I hope they dont screw this one up. Im hoping that the next version would implement some sort of API for PC users for modding.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh, Sean Murray finally came out of the woodworks and gave a pretty extensive interview. Reveals some things about the new update we didn't know yet, about future plans, but surprisingly also talks a lot about the original launch and why Hello Games kept almost complete radio silence for 2 years now. Interesting stuff if you're interested in the game:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...-everything-no-mans-sky?utm_source=reddit.com

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Steam is doing a 6.5GB download at the moment.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
50% off on Steam at the moment.

N.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No multiplayer on GoG yet, coming somewhen later this year. That's basically a win for me, but there's a bit of upset because it wasn't priorly announced.

DRM-free and multiplayer is somewhat of an issue. The only really proper way to deal with it is let people host their own games, which is a lot more work than using the convenient APIs provided by Steam, PSN and Xbox Live, so I can definitely understand the problem. In my opinion, GoG should provide a hosting API in galaxy that games can use. That's still not 100% clean, unless you can run galaxy without a GoG account. I don't know if you can.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Love this planet's rings in this shot. :thumbup:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Weirdest planet I've found yet:
W6L0r4W.jpg

21OOOHM.jpg

Xs4uXWC.jpg

A "Temporary Planet", covered in tons of ferrite, pure ferrite and cadmium.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So i finally played the game...

You know how after an intense relationship and a messy breakup you'd think you would never be able to stand seeing her again, and yet a decade later you happen across each other and just catch up like old friends, as if neither ever happened?

It's a touch of that kind of feel here. Just a somewhat fun game, no hard feelings or regrets, no envy, no plans.
Guess i'm finally getting over it.

Can't say i disliked it - sure, there is not a shred of physics in NMS, but i kinda get why they did so. The story so far had been impersonal and scaffoldey, but guess how i handled it. Despite never playing it before, there is a persistent sense of familiarity.

The interface is a bit rough around the edges, feels like it's intended for VR or console-grade lousiness of controllers.
Haven't really played long enough to run into grindiness or to exhaust the procedural variation.
Having specific environmental threats on different worlds was a nice touch that never occurred to me.

Speaking of performance - was anyone else getting an ungodly long loading time at the start?
I have a fairly beefy system, and yet it still took several minutes of "loading" shaders and then staring at a starfield with no other messages.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Speaking of performance - was anyone else getting an ungodly long loading time at the start?
I have a fairly beefy system, and yet it still took several minutes of "loading" shaders and then staring at a starfield with no other messages.

Don't worry, that's just NMS creating and caching the shaders -- it only happens once right after you upgrade your video drivers or when a major game update is installed. Load time is much faster after that. :tiphat:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Beautiful day here on planet Sout Gamma in the Ashiris system -- it's a "Bountiful" planet:

C304230985C9DC80F0CADECECDABA45ECA57D26C

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I love playing No Man's Sky NEXT. It was worth buying it on steam sale. I have also played it before, for testing purpose, and I did enjoy that experience. :p

First time I played No Man's Sky NEXT, met another player soon enough. It was an awesome experience. Played with him for a few hours. Never met him again :p

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Came across an "Airless Planet" here in the Ashiris system -- lots of metals, but not much else! :cool:

0D04A1B0CBD4A4072FDC6A17F566DC17F211F924

That planet you see eclipsing most of the star is Sout Gamma, which is the planet in my previous screenshot.

EDIT:
This is the third planet in the Ashiris system, Luywoodsh: a "Nuclear Planet" with a weather type of "Enormous Nuclear Storms". So I couldn't resist building a mini-base there. :lol:

AAA9CE08F3479CF7968D42CE324F1FD7B299279B

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Having played it some more, it makes me feel like i'm playing a homeless simulator.
There are people everywhere, zooming by and walking around, civilization is omnipresent and never far away.
There is no real wilderness - you land on a planet and start building, but it feels like you are in a park, with the city just behind the next hill.
And yet the assets all imply wilderness and frontier kind of things, which makes the whole thing feel incoherent, to some extent.

Kinda breaks the immersion a bit.

Load time is much faster after that. :tiphat:
Hm, it is a bit faster, but this is still the longest-loading game i have.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Having played it some more, it makes me feel like i'm playing a homeless simulator.

I think that's the funniest analogy I heard for the game to date :lol:

And yet the assets all imply wilderness and frontier kind of things, which makes the whole thing feel incoherent, to some extent.

I agree. It's kind of tied a bit into the back story, what with large scale planetary operations being off limits to all races due to the omnipresence of robotic genocidal environmentalists, but the whole thing does feel a bit off... There are uncharted and abandoned systems now, which provide a nice change of feeling, but I would have prefered it a lot if they would have clustered things up a bit. Like large stretches of completely untouched space between patches of civilisations.

Hm, it is a bit faster, but this is still the longest-loading game i have.
I'm playing underspecced, but have it installed on an SSD. Game consistently loads in less than 10 seconds, which I don't consider *that* much (Subnautica has longer loading times, for example, but I have that one installed on a conventional HD, so it's not really a fair competition).

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I just bought this and have been getting to grips with it. First of all, the tutorial SUCKS. The rest of it is not bad and i will admit that I spent too long on my first planet just looking around before I realised that the rain was toxic and I was kinda in trouble!

Interesting game.... More to discover.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Two more screenshots tonight, both from the Kawariyak XVII system:

This is Reath Q46, an "Isotopic" planet. It's radioactive, but nothing like Luywoodsh from my earlier screenshots is. :p

FC6C39FEF1B5AD65A2B6518D97F2DC2466227E34

And this is Henuna III, another (rare) "Anomaly Planet":

ED494BA5EA6AF3C90AAAA395C8C185E0B2298433

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I named this world "Not quite Earth". I love the rings on the horizon. I'll be here for a while.

380097FF7195913C5BE9F580C9F8B76772B19ECE