Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is that good or bad?

Well, would it be truly procedural, we would be talking about a few Megabytes of data and lots of CPU time to create assets....

But it is just so much procedural, that it still looks "pleasant."

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Every atom procedural", they say.
And yet, it's a 1.6 GIGAbyte update for a 10 GIGAbyte game.
Procedural. Gigabytes.
Sigh...

There are a couple of things to this. First, "every atom procedural" is obviously just marketing speech.
But a lot of the games space is actually taken up by sound. And the fact that it's a 1.6 GB patch doesn't necessarily mean that the game gets larger by that much. Depending on packaging, they just need to replace certain things... I've heard on Xbox the new update was basically the entire game.

The new updte does look just like what the doctor ordered though, looking forward to it very much. Unfortunately what the doctor ordered for me is rest for the right hand until the end of the week... :(

By the way, trailer is here:

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Uhm... You're lagging behind. That one's out for over a month. This is the one that dropped today:

I'll admit, it can be tough to keep up.
No kidding. I rather have more bugfixes than content. but this is fine.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Prisms update dropped today, which includes a big visual overhaul, including DLSS support for Nvidia cards. :)

Full update notes are here.

Marg

Reaction score
I would prefer black sky in space.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As a heads-up, No Man's Sky is 50% off on Steam until July 19th. :probe:

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
From the pictures and videos I've seen, No Man's Sky looks like a cross between Lisa Frank and someone's bad acid trip. I think I'll get it. I'm not expecting realism, but it looks like fun.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From the pictures and videos I've seen, No Man's Sky looks like a cross between Lisa Frank and someone's bad acid trip.

It's mostly inspired by golden age scifi concept art (book covers etc), and at least as far as planets and general atmosphere go, they hit the nail pretty nicely.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They got delayed a bit, but looking at what they've done now I'm not surprised...

The new update isn't just called "frontiers", it's also somewhat "Odyssee-esque" in theme and content... :LOL:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not even 2 months ago we got a pretty decent overhaul of ground combat, now we're getting one for space combat (with a lot of other stuff attached, as always):

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
HG more than made up for the mess they caused on launch. Unfortunately not every studio is showing that kind of honor.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The day when we'll spend all our lives in virtual universes is getting closer... :probe:

They should begin to focus on neural interfaces.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Computer viruses and biological ones could reunite in one same entity ?
Funny thought. While we still have to run around with FFP2 masks here in the meantime, let's hope our AV experts get into bio-business before that happens.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Computer viruses and biological ones could reunite in one same entity ?

I would put my money on parasites or parasitic molds. Many of those are already capable of changing the behaviour of their hosts to the advantage of the parasite.

Like mice behaviour getting modified by Toxoplasmosis so much, that they are easily caught by cats for the next step in the lifecycle of the parasite.... And who has cats knows: Just making the mouse slow or sleepy is not enough.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
HG more than made up for the mess they caused on launch. Unfortunately not every studio is showing that kind of honor.
I actually have to disagree here. I don't think I've ever experienced a game that his disappointed me and even angered me as much as this one has. I have tried so hard to like it, but (if I actually manage to get some play time in between it needing updates) I can only play a few hours before getting frustrated and moving on to something else. Its almost like they designed every aspect of the game (inventory, saving, sentinels, storms, space station docking and layout) to tickle my anger bone. I'm not going to try to convince anyone else, but just needed to get that off my chest. Also just wasted ~7GB of my data cap for the month on an update only for it to require another 8GB update a day later.