Software Obsolete API error on startup

u2fletch

Reaction score
Just installed Orbiter 2016 on a Windows 10 laptop, and works fine. So I decided to install on my much faster, better graphics hardware desktop machine (Win 7). I get an error on scenario startup of obsolete API, then program aborts. Attached is the log file. Searched the forum to see if there is a missing DLL, but so far no luck.

Jeff

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    4.3 KB · Views: 14

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What scenario were you trying to run? Inline graphics or external client?

u2fletch

Reaction score
Any of the Scenarios in the Orbiter startup screen.

I tried clean install, with and without extra modules such as sound, and graphics, but no difference. Got a bad DLL somewhere, but the error does not give me an idea which one. Any idea which version of the Visual C Redistributable is required for install? I tried manually installing VC90, which I think was an option on the initial install under custom settings, but that gave an error saying I already had a more recent version. Which could be an issue.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I get an error on scenario startup of obsolete API, then program aborts.

I'm afraid the two have nothing to do with each other. The API call still works, add-ons are just supposed to stop using them, since any future Orbiter version might remove them. But this one still does, so that's not the reason for the crash.

Have you tried launching in windowed mode? I remember DX7 fullscreen mode being a somewhat iffy issue on modern GPUs.