garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I was thinking of using the SkyLinkSat from Kulch. Run it up to orbit, and release it, and it takes care of itself. However, I have not tested it's autopilot in orbits other than Earth. Something to look into...

Certainly an option. I was looking more at the satellites in the 2001 pack as they are designed with this sort of mission in mind and have enough delta-V of thier own to be able to do a fair few orbit adjusts.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
'IF IT IS UP ON ORBIT HANGAR IT MIGHT BE USED'. I.e. if you want to develop something then great. Go for it and upload it THEN mention it here. Don't offer to make a mesh. I won't say this again.

Thank you! :tiphat:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but I think having a Crew Return Vehicle docked to the mothership at all times would be a good idea. Something with a low mass that can be used to perform a direct re-entry back to Earth just in case. Orion, CTV, Dragon, Pollux, Antares, Soyuz etc.

Im for using the DG for the CRV. Since, it does have the capability to get back to earth incase of a fatal happening onboard the mothership.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Im for using the DG for the CRV. Since, it does have the capability to get back to earth incase of a fatal happening onboard the mothership.

I was also thinking of sending these to Mars -> [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4488"]Inflatable Space Rescue Unit for UCGO[/ame]

A DG or XR-2 will be cramped living but will return people home or be able to be used to supplment the mother ships systems. If we haul two to Mars we have redundancy and the ability for a direct abort if required.

If we leave one (and some spare parts) on the surface of Mars we need to make sure that in the case of a worse case scenario the DG/XR/Whatever can fit ALL the crew from the dead mothership and that restricts the numbers going to Mars.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The ISRU is a good idea. I too have brought that along on a few missions. Never had to use it, thankfully.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I was also thinking of sending these to Mars -> Inflatable Space Rescue Unit for UCGO

A DG or XR-2 will be cramped living but will return people home or be able to be used to supplment the mother ships systems. If we haul two to Mars we have redundancy and the ability for a direct abort if required.

If we leave one (and some spare parts) on the surface of Mars we need to make sure that in the case of a worse case scenario the DG/XR/Whatever can fit ALL the crew from the dead mothership and that restricts the numbers going to Mars.
yes, that would be very cramped. I was thinking more in terms of leaving the M.S. in LEO after getting back from Mars, and using the DGs or the XR-2s to enter earth's atmosphere...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
yes, that would be very cramped. I was thinking more in terms of leaving the M.S. in LEO after getting back from Mars, and using the DGs or the XR-2s to enter earth's atmosphere...

Won't happen. A crew that has spent over a year in space will undergo a lot of stress with landing on Earth. Better to send up an XR-2, dock and then take the crew off and land with a CDR/PLT who are trained for that and haven't spent the best part of 2 years in less than 1G.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For what its worth, in my VSA timeline, I have to launch the UCGOs and extra main fuel to the moon on a Jarvis, and then lithobrake them on the moon. Then land the XR-2 at the UCGO's landing site, then build the base. Not an easy thing to do, since all those fancy tools that rely on a preset base cannot be used. The UCGO vehicle is still a vehicle, and the only thing you can use is the Xpndr for distance, and Attitude MFD to get an idea of orientation to the vehicle.

Maybe you can make a base .cfg based on where the UCGO lands?

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Didnt think about that...since there will be no gravity wheel, like the Arrow.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score

Not yet, we still haven not done the mission where the landing base is pictured/chosen.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I was talking about the lunar missions.

Lunar missions still depend on the Mars photo reconnaissance mission. Since it's a 'dress rehersal' for what will happen on mars, we need the terrain to be very similar.

For example, if we pick a location in the Mars highlands, then you land on the Moon highlands etc. (you know, for practice ;))!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Good idea. Create a a base with really nothing to it, just to get it to show up and make it easier to reach.

I will give that a try and see how useful it is.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Lunar missions still depend on the Mars photo reconnaissance mission. Since it's a 'dress rehersal' for what will happen on mars, we need the terrain to be very similar.

For example, if we pick a location in the Mars highlands, then you land on the Moon highlands etc. (you know, for practice ;))!

Frau Mauro Highlands anyone? Is there a set launch date for the first launch?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Will there be Orulex (which I haven't used yet)?

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score

I don't know, what is garyw's opinion on Orulex?

Mine is that it works completely (with collision detection) and perfectly fine.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Didnt think about that...since there will be no gravity wheel, like the Arrow.

What about the [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2981"]James Cook[/ame]? It's got a gravity wheel.
JamesCook.jpg

Last edited:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Won't happen. A crew that has spent over a year in space will undergo a lot of stress with landing on Earth. Better to send up an XR-2, dock and then take the crew off and land with a CDR/PLT who are trained for that and haven't spent the best part of 2 years in less than 1G.

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking maybe turn on the cryo program, and gradually use RCS to give it enough spin to slowly simulate 1G. Then once they're acclimated, send them down.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Not yet, we still haven not done the mission where the landing base is pictured/chosen.

The idea is to target a specific area. Once the primary and secondary landing sites are picked then adding a cfg to define those areas is a good idea.

Nice idea. I was thinking more procedural tests but this makes for an extra reason to go to the moon.

Frau Mauro Highlands anyone? Is there a set launch date for the first launch?

How can their be a date when the final missions list hasn't been assembled?

If you want to, yes.

I don't know, what is garyw's opinion on Orulex?

I like it. great addon and makes for awesome screenshots. I am not flying the missions though - you guys are - so if you want to use it then go for it.