OFMM Mission Discussions

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really don't like that idea. I feel like OFMM is more of a 'get to Mars, walk about, go home'. Leaving people behind feels untidy but might be a nice way to start OFMM-2 if someone wanted to take that on? Any thoughts?

As there has been no more dissent around the main missions list I am going to write up the first scenario this evening and post it.

Agreed. Time to kick the tires and light the fires. :yes:

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Then we bring a few packed modified Ares planes, that can hold three to five people. Hopefully we can make one.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I don't think you'd be able to get one of those Ares aircraft to hold one person properly:
AresPlane1.jpg

I wouldn't even want to think of attaching three people to it :p

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Then we bring a few packed modified Ares planes, that can hold three to five people. Hopefully we can make one.

Woo482 is correct. There will be no hold ups waiting for development work. the reason for leaving an XR-2 behind is if we decide to leave a base behind on Mars. Thats not decided yet.

Please read the earlier discussions about this new version of OFMM

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If we're putting multiple DSCSs in Martian orbit, there should be multiple config files because it is a spacecraft3 vessel. (i.e. DSCS1, DSCS2, DSCS3, etc.)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If we're putting multiple DSCSs in Martian orbit, there should be multiple config files because it is a spacecraft3 vessel. (i.e. DSCS1, DSCS2, DSCS3, etc.)

Err, yes which is why I'd post the config files for those missions just the same as I did with the current OFMM-P1 or is there some other concern?

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I don't know where to put this, so bear with me. With garyw stepping down, who will be selected as leader? I nominate myself.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I believe we should have a community vote on which nominee will step up to the challenge of the OFMM mission organiser.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I nominate garyw....he has the drive to get this off the ground, and IMO, he's the only that could keep us motivated enough to keep it going.

gary2012!! :p

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
No, Wasteland2012!!! And mojoey, I am currently beginning to look at the plans we are using, and testing to see if certain missions we should cut and et cetera.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, folks: we're starting up again. So, let's review the proposed missions, shall we?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I know that this is a part of the mission that is going to take place much later on, but how will we launch one of Kulch's Tankers + the Smerch tug with the Quasar? The Quasar uses a multistage2 config, which has a payload that isn't spawned until after launch. So how will we attach a Tanker to the tug when it isn't spawned yet? (keep in mind that the Smerch uses its own attachment system)

I am asking this question because I am planning to make a single spacecraft3 tanker based on the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3105"]Jumbo Tanker[/ame].

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I know that this is a part of the mission that is going to take place much later on, but how will we launch one of Kulch's Tankers + the Smerch tug with the Quasar? The Quasar uses a multistage2 config, which has a payload that isn't spawned until after launch. So how will we attach a Tanker to the tug when it isn't spawned yet? (keep in mind that the Smerch uses its own attachment system)

I am asking this question because I am planning to make a single spacecraft3 tanker based on the Jumbo Tanker.

There are several methods for getting this to work that are similar to how I got the DSCS into the neptune - Is this jumbo tanker of yours going to be for OFMM?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What are those methods?

It will be a lighter version of the Jumbo Tanker.

Non-spacecraft3 attachments are not compatible with multistage2 config files.

(especially the kind of attachments that are defined in the scenario file, not in a config file)

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Okay, are we going for a propulsive capture or aerocapture? 'Cause I have an aeroshell that folds that I can get working on real quick in order to finalize teh aerodynamics, if you want it.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
What are those methods?

It will be a lighter version of the Jumbo Tanker.

Non-spacecraft3 attachments are not compatible with multistage2 config files.

(especially the kind of attachments that are defined in the scenario file, not in a config file)

Yes, non SC3 modules work fine with multistage. Now, is any of this actually related to OFMM or should I spin it off into it's own thread?

Okay, are we going for a propulsive capture or aerocapture? 'Cause I have an aeroshell that folds that I can get working on real quick in order to finalize teh aerodynamics, if you want it.

Propulsive. Initial orbit will be quite high over Mars.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, non SC3 modules work fine with multistage. Now, is any of this actually related to OFMM or should I spin it off into it's own thread?

I know that non-SC3 modules work with multistage, but I don't think that non-SC3 attachments (e.g. attaching the Tanker to the Smerch tug) work with multistage.

This is slightly related to OFMM.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Smerch uses payload manager and so will work fine. Smerch doesn't use attachment points but who says I'm sending either to Mars?