Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
In a perfect world. Yes.

But the reality is not perfect.

If you want to have the packages near you, you should have a radio beacon marking the landing site already there, or better land them with the same methods as the crew.

I like perfect worlds :)

Like the UCGO probe or landing beacon? The landing beacon can be a-part of the package.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I don't want to land the beacon based on a huge error ellipse without correction by a human pilot. This is gambling with the lives of the first crew otherwise, if the beacon got deployed at a bad place.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Well, I don't want to land the beacon based on a huge error ellipse without correction by a human pilot. This is gambling with the lives of the first crew otherwise, if the beacon got deployed at a bad place.

I guess we have a huge control on where the packages get placed. If they where placed by land vehicle anyway. 10km-5km radius wouldn't be that bad of a drive. I think it would be fairly easy, just aim at 90E or 0N or whatever...

Farther out might be more interesting. For placement anyway wouldn't this be cool? how about a star type launcher that has 8 beacons launched in a circle and at an angle all at the same time. Wherever it lands is where the package goes. (-not being serious. :lol:)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the UCGO probe is out of the question. Sure, you could land accurately next to it, but the probe itself cannot be landed accurately.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
I haven't actually tried it yet, but why can't the ucgo probe be landed accurately?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only control you have over it is the latitude, longitude, altitude and inclination of its release. After that, it will land itself somewhere on the other side of the planet. You've got to guess where it is going to go and 'eyeball it' on Map and Orbit MFDs.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
The only control you have over it is the latitude, longitude, altitude and inclination of its release. After that, it will land itself somewhere on the other side of the planet. You've got to guess where it is going to go and 'eyeball it' on Map and Orbit MFDs.

Ummm, just ran a quick check on it and it DOES have the ability for manual control. Would this not make landing much more accurate?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ummm, just ran a quick check on it and it DOES have the ability for manual control. Would this not make landing much more accurate?
And also redundant? :p

If the landing will be manual, may as well send the package down without XPDR beacons, no?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just trying to avoid unnecessary complexity. I have to say there's quite enough of that already. :p

Chub777

Reaction score
Can't you just have the package in the cargo bay of the Skycrane? As simple as that.