Gaming Ogame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Ogame is a browser based space combat strategy game.

The basic idea is that you build power plants, mines, shipyards, etc, etc on your planet to build up resources of Metal, Crystal, and Deuterium. When you have enough resources and research, you can build ships and attack other planets. By attacking planets, you steal their resources.

Ogame is free to sign up, browser based (meaning you dont have to download anything), and REAL TIME. Meaning, if it says it will take 3 hours to build something, you click build, close out of the browser, come back 3 hours later, and it will be done. You get resources based on "x per hour". So if it was 60 per hour, you would get 1 a minute (instead of nothing for an hour, then suddenly getting 60).

I am in Universe 42. If enough people join, i'll made an alliance (a clan).

Join if it sounds interesting
~Kaito

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I played this for 18 months in uni 21. Did quite well for myself until the mods decided to give me a semi-perm ban for being online at the same time my fiancee was online to the same uni. No reprieve, no discussion.

So, Whilst it can be fun you will not catch me EVER playing it again. In fact, I'm still raising complaints against most of the mods and game admins over the issue.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I played this for 18 months in uni 21. Did quite well for myself until the mods decided to give me a semi-perm ban for being online at the same time my fiancee was online to the same uni. No reprieve, no discussion.

So, Whilst it can be fun you will not catch me EVER playing it again. In fact, I'm still raising complaints against most of the mods and game admins over the issue.
Ouch.
To avoid that, just send a message to the mods saying that you and your fiancee are both playing under the same IP. They probably wont allow fleet contact, but at least you wont get banned.

Reason why is to prevent people from making multiple names and sharing resources.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
did that, they banned us for fleet contact, she logged on to see my fleet delivering supplies to her world.

18 months. Banned until 2046.

The words I have for the ops are not going to be repeated here.

I will never play an online game again that requires any sort of regular commitment.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Any others interested? :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fair enough.

Any others interested? :p

No. I play Skrupel, if I needed a spaceflight themed browser game. Free, small servers operated by friends and usually no stupid moderators.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I never had any problems with Ogame's stupid rules, but it was a bit too tedious for me.
Another one I played for a while until I just couldn't keep up was Stargatewars. It's less realtime except for attacking and stuff, but the rules are actually good rules designed to prevent people being stupid rather than just prevent people from doing what comes natural. Also Alliances are much better in SGW than Ogame, you can actually do stuff!

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I never had any problems with Ogame's stupid rules, but it was a bit too tedious for me.
Another one I played for a while until I just couldn't keep up was Stargatewars. It's less realtime except for attacking and stuff, but the rules are actually good rules designed to prevent people being stupid rather than just prevent people from doing what comes natural. Also Alliances are much better in SGW than Ogame, you can actually do stuff!

Stargatewars is good, but it's downright impossible for new players to progress on the main server due to established older players. Also, there are no bans for multiple accounts, which means randomly attacking someone will get you pounded by all of his 57 accounts most of the time.

And you can easily play ogame with multiple accounts if you remember to delete cookies and switch your proxy before you login. The good side is that not as many people do it, since getting found will get you banned, so you have quite a considerable advantage even with only two accounts. Also, remember to keep a few throw-away alt. accounts just to annoy the over-zealous mods.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I played Ogame with my cousin for a few weeks. We stopped playing when we realized that it was never going to get more interesting than when you get about 1 day into it. All that changes is your numbers get bigger.

I would suggest thinking about what you're really looking for in a game. Then maybe we can point you in a better direction.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
I played it for a little over a year, then when I got big, bigger players would come and attack me, just because. Due to that repetitive "bullying" in the game I quit. Not because I couldn't handle it, but while I'm busy sleeping, having to have a life the next day, little boy no-life is busy wrecking my fleet and planet.

Not worth my time to keep waking up each morning to see my fleet is gone and my resources are shot.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
*sigh*
Okay, I guess i'm alone on this

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I played Ogame with my cousin for a few weeks. We stopped playing when we realized that it was never going to get more interesting than when you get about 1 day into it. All that changes is your numbers get bigger.
Exactly why I don't like ordinary stat-based games. I realized this after I got bored with RuneScape. ;)

I used to play OGame a couple years ago, but that didn't last very long.

@Kaito: Just a warning, check out the thread under 'Similar Threads' started by Carl. Your thread might also face the 'wrath of Coolhand.' ;)

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I played Ogame for a little while, but got bored quickly. NukeZone stayed fun longer, but I quit after a couple of years when real life got more interesting again.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
The only thing that makes Runescape slightly better in my opinion is that you can goof around or annoy other people if you have a friend who is as bored as you. Also, you can do stuff in real time instead of taking action that occurs 40 or minutes later.

I'm not trying to beat down Ogame, I just don't have any interest in it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Exactly why I don't like ordinary stat-based games. I realized this after I got bored with RuneScape. ;)

I used to play OGame a couple years ago, but that didn't last very long.

@Kaito: Just a warning, check out the thread under 'Similar Threads' started by Carl. Your thread might also face the 'wrath of Coolhand.' ;)
You (and any others in this thread) might be interested in the Star Wars Combine. The game's fairly active for over ten years now, and since there's (still) no combat implemented there's a whole lot more emphasis on interacting with other players (trading and the like) than stats.

It is a fairly slow-paced game, though, but it's all one persistant, ginormous galaxy (with several thousand players). Good if you don't have much time to invest in playing something.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com

lol. Since this seems to consist of mostly negative comments about ogame, i'll leave it open... please carry on discussing how bad it is, and feel free to mention alternatives.

@kaito, as punishment for liking ogame i've changed the threads title, not something i'd normally ever do but i do loath them so much for stealing artwork from me, a client, friends, sfm and probably many other people i don't know.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hear Eve online is good. Haven't tried it though.
er...completely different type of game. We're talking about free browser games...eve is a pay-to-play MMO...

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
punishment for liking ogame?
I'm sorry, since when did liking something that other people don't a crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.