One Year of Orbiter

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I've been using Orbiter for about a year this last October, and have been registered on these forums for a year this last November. Seeing as I have nothing better to do, I figured I would talk about it a bit (as if you all care:lol:).

I gotta say, when I first found Orbiter, I was computer illiterate in most aspects, and I had never flown a flight simulator before. That's probably the reverse of most of you, who flew FS before you were initiated into Orbiter, but that's how it happened. I found out about Orbiter after searching for a Space Shuttle Simulator on youtube, and I found a video that used Orbiter. I decided to give it a shot, and by golly I was hooked. Literally, I would play Orbiter every chance I got, and it could probably have been classified as an addiction at some point :lol:. Never having flown an Flight sim before, I didn't have a joystick or throttle, so I was stuck using the keyboard for my first flights. Luckily, I had a friend (FSXHD) who was an expert pilot, and he advised me to get a joystick. It went pretty smoothly from there.

I only really made my account on these forums because I was having trouble profiling my X52, and, after that, I didn't really come back until about May :shifty:. So, even though I joined in November, I didn't really become part of the community until May. I mainly was inspired to be active in the community because of OFMM, which is where I gathered many of my early posts, and then because of my VASO project, which failed. I must say, of all the online communities that I am part of, OF is, by far, the best.

From Orbiter, I got into FSX (again due to FSXHD), and, in general, increased my skills on the computer. Heck, before Orbiter, I didn't know how to navigate file directories. Besides teaching me a lot about the computer, Orbiter has caused me to learn a lot about spaceflight in general, as well as acting as a catalyst for learning about astrodynamics (which I find I really like :)).

Long story short, I found Orbiter, I liked it, and kept playing it. I hope I've been somewhat of a help on these forums this past year, and here's to another great one ahead! :cheers:

:hailprobe:

Tsynique

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice story. I suppose there could be a forum board called "How I met Orbiter.." :)

P.S. Please do not say you PLAY Orbiter. Orbiter is not a game therefor it cannot be played.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Tsynique;bt2262 said:
I suppose there could be a forum board called "How I met Orbiter.." :)
But there is [thread=1421]this thread[/thread].

BTW. I found Orbiter in December 2002, and I joined a forum related to Orbiter only in October 2009. :p

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congratulations on one year of orbiting! :cheers:

Party at Wideawake! :hotcool:

Tsynique;bt2262 said:
P.S. Please do not say you PLAY Orbiter. Orbiter is not a game therefor it cannot be played.
I respectfully disagree, partly because Orbiter offers a simplified version of spaceflight (Relativity? What's that?!) and partly because there really isn't a better verb for these sorts of things.

Unless you're trying to use Orbiter to simulate a real space mission you're planning on embarking on some day (which I would strongly advise against! :lol:) you are likely using Orbiter as a pastime. For FUN. :tiphat:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I was already a seasoned PC veteran when I found orbiter, I've been using computers for nearly a decade now. :lol:

Darren

Edit: I found Orbiter in mid 2007 lost it a few months later and found it again around the same time I joined OF.

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Izack;bt2267 said:
I respectfully disagree, partly because Orbiter offers a simplified version of spaceflight (Relativity? What's that?!) and partly because there really isn't a better verb for these sorts of things.

Unless you're trying to use Orbiter to simulate a real space mission you're planning on embarking on some day (which I would strongly advise against! :lol:) you are likely using Orbiter as a pastime. For FUN. :tiphat:

I agree with you. I sometimes get annoyed when people imply that flight sims aren't 'played', because there's a world of difference between sitting at home flying a Cessna on the computer and actually flying one. Same goes for the space shuttle :)

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I agree that Orbiter is a Simulator, rather than a game. Nonetheless, if, before, during, or after my flights, I find myself 'making things up' - from crew names to VSAs to future histories to go along with the Simulator, ...then...I am playing!

Congratulations on the Year of Orbiter!

Party at Wideawake!

On my way! What building though? The VAB maybe? Indoor Bottlerockets!