Project Orb::Connect Web Edition

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fundamental :D

Orb::Connect is for controlling the entire simulator, WebMFD is just for displaying MFD screens.

ahunn

Reaction score
Guys, can Orb::Connect::Web pull vessel state info from the DGIV?? such as APU state, fuel contents and variables from the flight computer??

Majid

Reaction score
Guys, can Orb::Connect::Web pull vessel state info from the DGIV?? such as APU state, fuel contents and variables from the flight computer??

I doubt it. Fuel contents would be doable depending on what you mean, but variables like the APU state and the flight computer are specific to the DGIV, Orbiter doesn't provide a standardized interface for implementing that stuff.

ahorvath1

Reaction score
I would like to implement a functionality like this possibly interfacing between orbiter and matlab and also using a tablet or other hardware. Is there any way that this could be accomplished easily using Orb::connect?

hysot

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Have anybody tried that addon on Orbiter 2016?
I tried it and as it's working great with the Delta glider, when I launch one of the XR vessel, I get all sort of warnings (APU offline, over door are closed) and can't really do much about it. if I click on switches on the addon, orbiter crashes and clicking on the APU start button in Orbiter doesn't work either.

Any idea on what's going on?

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hi guys!

Have anybody tried that addon on Orbiter 2016?
I tried it and as it's working great with the Delta glider, when I launch one of the XR vessel, I get all sort of warnings (APU offline, over door are closed) and can't really do much about it. if I click on switches on the addon, orbiter crashes and clicking on the APU start button in Orbiter doesn't work either.

Any idea on what's going on?

Yep, this also happens for me on Orbiter 2016, using XR vessels.

Do somebody know if @kamaz is still around here? Cause I would like to volunteer to continue update/development of the Orb:Connect Project.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, this also happens for me on Orbiter 2016, using XR vessels.

Do somebody know if @kamaz is still around here? Cause I would like to volunteer to continue update/development of the Orb:Connect Project.
I guess Kamaz is away for quite a while, and I dont know how to get in touch with him.. But you can always grad the addon's source code here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/orbconnect/ and play until cows come home. I'd love to see full integration with Orbiter 2016 and XR vehicles!
I wanna have user frindly interface to get I/O's from Orbiter as easy as it's in DCS for example. But without USB. Ethernet only :)

Cheers!

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
I guess Kamaz is away for quite a while, and I dont know how to get in touch with him.. But you can always grad the addon's source code here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/orbconnect/ and play until cows come home. I'd love to see full integration with Orbiter 2016 and XR vehicles!
I wanna have user frindly interface to get I/O's from Orbiter as easy as it's in DCS for example. But without USB. Ethernet only :)

Cheers!
Yeah, I am still interested in continuing the project. But I am really busy right now, maybe on autumn I can start to update it.

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I am still interested in continuing the project. But I am really busy right now, maybe on autumn I can start to update it.
Hope you all the best! This addon is a game changer:hailprobe:

JDat

Reaction score

What updates are planned? I already managed to compile this plugin in Visual Studio 2019. For me now could be useful following functions:
GetControlSurfaceLevel
GetThrusterGroupLevel
IncThrusterLevel
IncThrusterGroupLevel_SingleStep
SendBufferedKey
SetControlSurfaceLevel
SetThrusterGroupLevel
ToggleNavmode

Maybe some of these functions are already implemented. These functions allow to make web based ship flight controls interface. Modern web browsers (web pages) support joystick control. So as result it could be possible to make custom joystick control via this addon + web browser + joystick + ethernet/wifi.

Most important question: can you do it via github, so I can participate and pool additional changes to your code and all can get addon from stable place (stable web link).

JDat

Reaction score
Looks like I need more api functions... :(
Code:
GetAngularVel
GetAngularAcc
GetAngularMoment

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Well I haven´t got seriously into planning things, but the first things that I should fix are some CTD´s on certain conditions, and problems with using XR spacecrafts that I encountered last summer when I was testing OrbConnect with Orbiter 2016.

Also, for the setters of setsurfacelevel or setthrustergrouplevel, those could be implemented together with a boolean on config indicating if you allow setters to control the spacecraft or not, because OrbConnect could be used for telemetry clients (as I was using it for, getters only) or for flying orbiter with networked devices, thus requiring the setters.

Will post something when I can get seriously into this.

JDat

Reaction score
Well. I, personally don't need Setters to be disabled. In theory it is good idea from security. But in practice, who is planned to expose this plugin to internet. Who is planning to hack into your orbiter from internet. Locally if you are not doing things with setters, they will not make problems for you. Just use get as usual and it will be fine. Right now SetTimeAccel setter is already working.

I see priority to add more API calls. If I'll have time, I'll try to implement some functions today.

JDat

Reaction score
Yess! Made some experiments with source code and now I have working IncThrusterGroupLevel_SingleStep. Now I can control rotation and translation from web page. Other features is just question about spare time.

Big thing what I really want to see in Orb::Connect is that everything happen via multicasting UDP protocol, no need for TCP/HTTP connection.

Regarding attached .zip. Use on your own risk and don't break (by replacing files) working addons. For nerds only, who know how to use and run Orb::Connect WEB edition!

See you later!

PS: Also got Arduino Ethernet shield and any moment will try to control vessel from Arduino via Ethernet using Orb::Connect, but this is another story from Universal simpit topic in forum. Phil Smith will understand...

Attachments

• JDat_experimental_orbconnect_web.zip
    139.9 KB · Views: 9

JDat

Reaction score
Ok. Slowly starting to update OrbConnect WEB edition.
https://github.com/JDat/OrbConnectWeb

So far done:
1) Refactor source code folder structure. Source now located in Orbitersdk/Modules/Plugin/OrbConnect.
2) Remove java from main branch. Java still available on kamaz-original branch.
3) Move to CMake system.

Todo:
1) make x64 version of build process to be ready for Orbiter_x64.
2) Remove MS VisualC runtime depencency from code.
3) Add doxygen documentation to source code for every API call and automate documentation build process.
4) Rename some API call to be as close to OrbiterSDK as possible.
5) Add more API calls.
6) Make UDP based data exchange.
7) ...

@STS You are welcome to contribute your code.

Last edited:

Jacques Lees

Reaction score
I've been following OrbConnect for a long time and there doesn't seem to be a lot of simpit for Orbiter hence the slow development. Everyone is busy studing and flying in BMS or DCS that orbiter doesn't have a high priority for cockpit builders as well....

I've finally put some time to configure my BMS F-16 pit so that it can be used for Orbiter, but just like before there is still problem to be solved to make it really viable, but we are close.

With the help of OrbConnect and ExtMFD Picture 1 is what I can achieve. But OrbConnect Web edition is clearly designed for a tablet, the tabs are not a good idea for a real panel for a spacecraft and older version is more appropriate. It can easily be edited into a newer interface with html editor but I haven't change anything yet.

I've also included a virtual cockpit look, plus a picture with older OrbConnect version without tabs. Orbiter doesn't have lots of controls and one touchscreen can sure accommodate both the autopilot and 2 MFDs. Linknet has done some amazing work for the Falcon BMS Helios Touchscreen controls and I'll link the F-16 one here for comparison:

Attachments

• Photo (1).jpg
    Photo (1).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo (6).jpg
    Photo (6).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo (8).jpg
    Photo (8).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11