IMFD Orbit Eject for Reentry

HHM

Reaction score
Im in Lunar Orbit with Apollo 8. I got there with IMFD. Now I have a problem to get back.

How can I set up the IMFD for an orbit eject which leads to a reentry in the earth's atmosphere?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I do it like that:
1.) Moon orbit : Orbit Eject-> Lower Orbit
2.) After leaving Moon's SOI : Course-> Planet Aproach (set PeA at about 60 km)

mc_

Reaction score
This wold not be accurate enough. I used slingshot program to leave moon`s orbit, but cant remember, how...

It was somethig like this:
Left MFD - target intercept, tgt=Earth
Right MFD - Shared=0, slingshot - set to "course proram"

Wolfer

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Reaction score
You might want to try Lunar transfer MFD for your lunar trips. I find it easier to use than IMFD and, when coming back to earth, it it tells you your landing coordinates. Which is great because you know you won't crash in the desert with your capsule.

Tommy

Reaction score
IIRC, you'll use Planet Approach to set the course, and Orbit Eject to execute the burn. Full instructions for this are available in the IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks, available at OH. This Manual will be updated soon, and include some new techniques to make flights more efficient, such as taking a stock DG from Cape Canaveral to Titan (via Jupiter) without refueling and having 34% fuel remaining (total burntimes after the first plane change enroute to Jupiter are less than 30 seconds!)

[nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4142"]IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks[/nomedia]

This is the original, if you don't want to wait for the update.

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Full instructions for Apollo are available in my tutorial on OH:

[nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4170"]AMSO IMFD Tutorial v2[/nomedia]