Problem Orbiter 2016 Hires Earth Textures

Pioneer

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed the High Resolution Earth Textures for Orbiter 2016, but they don't show up:

Any ideas why?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Where did you install them?
Is your Textures\Earth\Archive folder something like 35Gb?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I had a 'white Mars' recently, that looked the same. Interestingly my Textures/Mars/Archive folder was empty, although I was quite confident that I had installed it the other day.

However, re-installing the textures corrected it.
Maybe check that they are not in the Textures2 folder.

Last edited:

aah11b

Reaction score
High Rez Textures Installation

I just downloaded the files for the high rez textures for Orbiter 2016.

I now have four folders for the Earth, Moon, Mars and smaller bodies.

Each contain Cloudtree, elevation tree, elevation model tree, mask tree and surf tree.

Do I just throw these into the texture folder and call it good, or do I need to do something else?

Please direct me to the proper thread or answer here.

Thanks,
Andrew

Windsurfer

Reaction score
Fault High Res Earth

I have a fault with High Res Earth. Ther is no any texture on Earth now.
Could anybody help me?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I have a fault with High Res Earth. Ther is no any texture on Earth now.
Could anybody help me?

Please provide more detail. Did you have the low-resolution version working before and the textures are broken since you tried to install the high-resolution pack?
Or did the high-resolution pack work before and you did something else to break it?

Did you follow the installation instructions for the high-resolution pack? Did the download work ok (i.e. correct file size and md5sum)? What does your Textures/Earth folder look like? Can you confirm that your Orbiter directory is on an NTFS partition?

ARMSTRONG

God of the Space
Reaction score
Sorry a lot for this guys, but I guess I am too dumb to find my way through this forum, and at less you speak about the textures at this thread... and since I can't understand how to create correctly a new thread... or where should I put it, because, under my point of view, this orbiter forum is really crazy.... I can't find nothing... and all is mixed..., well... what I want to ask is, is there any list with the whole issues related with the new high textures for Orbiter 2016?

I'm asking this because have passed a lot of time since my last Earth rentry, and I died lots of times trying to remember the whole thing, but when I reached my first sucess, I've found myself discovering that at Cape Canaveral, you can't see the runways at night, because they are under the lights high textures U-U. Will be this fixed? Is this already reported? Because if not, I would like to report it at some place, to help a little, and give chances to Orbiter to be updated with this thing fixed, because it's odd that you can't land at night with this terrible issue.

Sorry a lot for my english, I am so sad.... after dying 3 or 4 times, I reached the correct formula..., and then, I landed the ship, and I survived, but I broke my gears because I couldn't see the runway... :( and I am shocked yet... so please, I would like to know.

And I would like to ask another thing... I understand perfectly that Orbiter is developed by amaizing people around the world for free... but I really thought that the whole community could have been more exited with the new Orbiter 2016 release, and having in mind that it had a beta version probably.... is hard to me, to understand how is possible that bugs like this, weren't fixed while the development of the 2016... and I can't understand how addons are not updated at this point for 2016. I mean... I thought that people was exited enought to work inside the Orbiter 2016 beta version to make from the Orbiter 2016 date release a really special moment for the community with the whole addons already updated or something...

I don't know, now I just feel that nobody cares about Orbiter 2016 apparently, and everybody is still using the Orbiter 2010. I was specting more activity, that's all. I repeat... I already know that 2016 was released just some months ago... but I thought that the addons developers were working with the Orbiter 2016 beta version or something, to have the whole addons ready around the finnal Orbiter 2016 date release.

With all, I can understand why the addons are not updated yet, but if 2016 was released with all those optional high textures.... I can't understand why nobody have noticed during the beta test procedures, that the Cape Canaveral runways can't be seen at night, like I said, because the lights high textures are over the runways...

Well, I guess, that I must explain that I haven't used Orbiter since two years ago maybe... and I installed Oribter 2016 just when it's new version was released practically.

I guess that when I was watching all those installation options at the download page, I just thought that all was perfectly finished. Specially when you can see that there a link to download the Delta Glider IV addon, like saying, "Hey! All was already updated, and all works perfectly at this point". I was so secure about this, that when I saw duing the Delta Glider IV installation that it was made just for the Orbiter 2010 + Pack 1, I was seeing at my mind that it was already updated for 2016 even... I felt myself cheated with that, I really think that dan's addons link shoud be removed from the Orbiter 2016 download page, and give a good Warning around the textures packs to indicate the whole issues with them, issues like that one that I already described, where the Runway can't be seen with the lights high textures. :( I really think that the 2016 download page should have all this in mind before showing any external link, because, trully, this made me think that the whole things from that download page were perfectly updated for 2016...

And for that reason, I feel very frustrated and disoriented right now... and for that reason, I need help from you to know what can I spect... Should I forguet about 2016 until reach the year 48975498? Should I just use 2010???? Because is evident that 2016 is not finished yet...

Thanks in advance for your comprension and help!!!

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Well, first of all, thanks for your bug report. A better place to report problems is the ORBITER: 2010-P1 and newer issue list since that is easier to track than a forum post that gets quickly trodden under.

As to your questions:

Is Orbiter 2016 finished?
Certainly not. Neither was 2010, nor will any future versions be. The 2016 release adds new features, and its own unique set of bugs. The 2016 status feels robust enough to warrant a release, so here it is. Without wanting to sound snarky, it's up to you. Take it or leave it.

Which version should you use?
How can I possibly answer that question? It depends on your requirements. If elevation support is important to you, take 2016. If legacy addon compatibility is more important, take 2010. Based on your post, it definitely sounds like you should stick to 2010.

Why is the link to Dan's addons on the download page?
This is mainly for the sound addon, which seems to be essential for many users, and which on the whole seems to work in 2016. I haven't tested the DG-IV compatibility, so maybe others can comment on that?

When will your bug be fixed?
I am currently on a temporary Orbiter sabbatical (feels pretty nice), so it might be a while before I get around fixing bugs. And to be honest, your specific bug isn't ranking very high on my priority list. Since you seem to feel strongly about it, I would recommend to take it as an opportunity to get into Orbiter modding and fixing it yourself.

Why isn't there more excitement about Orbiter 2016, and why aren't addon developers more keenly sacrificing their spare time for free to update their code to users' expectations?
Well, I am personally still feeling fairly excited about Orbiter, so I'll keep going for the time being. I am however not particularly fussed about its wider popularity, but if you feel the need to Make Orbiter Great Again, please feel free to encourage addon developers to keep updating their code. I'd just recommend to put a positive spin on it, or the effect may not be what you have in mind.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry a lot for this guys, but I guess I am too dumb to find my way through this forum, and at less you speak about the textures at this thread...

<snip>

Thanks in advance for your comprension and help!!!

Well, there is obviously some ranting there, so I can't really quote something particularly, but here are my thoughts on the overall theme:

• Software is never finished. Or better yet: if software is finished, it is actually already dead. In this light, I really, really hope that Orbiter 2016 is NOT finished.
  • I don't know how often you use commercial software, but in relation to some software (even games) I've paid for, Orbiter is an amazingly polished product.
  • Your point about non-compatible addon-links being removed from Orbiter's 2016 page is something that is worth discussion. While it is clear that addon developers need time to review the new release and work on the changes, some don't even show a single sign of intention to update it after all this time. Of course this is their decision, but if so, the appropriate links should be removed from the 2016 download page IMHO. And yes, I'd include half-functioning addons, too. If it was not created for 2016, repeatedly causes CTD's and nobody wants to update it, it should not be up there in the list. However: in the very end this is Martin's decision, as it is his page we are talking about.
  • Many addon developers actually take the same stance as users like you regarding beta versions: the later are not ready enough to be worth getting attention. Therefore, many developers waited for the release before they started to update their addons. Thus the notion that with the release of the platform everything will work fine because all the others surely worked in the background to please you as the casual user... was a bit naive.
  • On the question of whether to use 2010 or 2016, in your case I'd say you stick with 2010. Give it another year, and I guess the available addons will be good enough for you to switch. Just don't expect exciting new releases for 2010. Or that somebody will back-port it. In essence, it is about the same as with old OS versions.
my :2cents:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
And I would like to ask another thing... I understand perfectly that Orbiter is developed by amaizing people around the world for free... but I really thought that the whole community could have been more exited with the new Orbiter 2016 release, and having in mind that it had a beta version probably.... is hard to me, to understand how is possible that bugs like this, weren't fixed while the development of the 2016... and I can't understand how addons are not updated at this point for 2016. I mean... I thought that people was exited enought to work inside the Orbiter 2016 beta version to make from the Orbiter 2016 date release a really special moment for the community with the whole addons already updated or something...

First of all, welcome Armstrong to both the Orbiter community and the forum.

I'm not about to speak for any other add-on developer. But it is a reasonable guess most would agree with me.

Orbiter isn't my life. IT IS A HOBBY. I have every intention to update Lunar Base Niven for Orbiter 2016 - and have taken several steps in that direction. But, real life (sometimes abbreviated RL) has to take priority.

Even Dr. Schweiger admitted:
I am currently on a temporary Orbiter sabbatical (feels pretty nice), so it might be a while before I get around fixing bugs.

I don't think any of the bugs he mentioned affects my add-om. But, if they do, I'm still reliant on the base s/w - and I have to wait for those to be fixed. Besides, as others have mentioned, s/w really isn't finished, and there may be bugs lurking out there that will affect my add-on. Again, I'll have to wait.

Besides, especially with Orbiter, the wait is worth it. Please, just be patient.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
and I can't understand how addons are not updated at this point for 2016.

I can answer that.
2016 changes many things and development now takes too long.
What took a few weekends for 2010 now takes a few months.
And for some things there's no easy solution other than trial and error.

Others may be smarter and faster than me, but from what I see, the problem is just that: it became too complicated and slow.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I can answer that.
2016 changes many things and development now takes too long.
What took a few weekends for 2010 now takes a few months.
And for some things there's no easy solution other than trial and error.

Others may be smarter and faster than me, but from what I see, the problem is just that: it became too complicated and slow.

That would be unfortunate. Can you point out specific things that have become too complicated? Can you think of any tools that should be created to simplify these tasks?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As for updating bases, I'm waiting for integrated tool to export /convert/import textures and heightmaps. Then I'd be happy to remake CSSC and Jarvis Island for 2016.

As for my other addons I simply don't have time to do them properly ATM.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As for updating bases, I'm waiting for integrated tool to export /convert/import textures and heightmaps. Then I'd be happy to remake CSSC and Jarvis Island for 2016.

As for my other addons I simply don't have time to do them properly ATM.

What do you mean by "integrated"?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What do you mean by "integrated"?

He outlined his ideas here.

However, I don't think that the texture/heightmap story alone is what 4throck was about. You can hardly call that single format change "many things".

Last edited: