Orbiter 2016 under Wine

pionite

Reaction score
I don't have a 20-intel.conf file.

Can't find *vulkan-intel in any of the repos.

mxk

Reaction score
i found this as information and hope this to help you
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DXVKwined3d#How_To_Test

and about the file can you create this file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

and adding inside this
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

save and restart the computer

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

and also for artefacts maybe next also will help
create a file in home directory with name .drirc

nano ~/.drirc
and adding inside next

<device screen="0" driver="dri2">
<application name="Default">
<option name="vblank_mode" value="0"/>
</application>
</device>

save and restart

pionite

Reaction score
Thanks. That link was useful:

Code:
$ vulkaninfo
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/libvulkan_radeon.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : /usr/lib/libvulkan_intel.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
ERROR at vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:240:vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Looks like something wrong with the Intel driver. I think it's built into the kernel, so maybe needs some boot parameters.

Anyway, not to worry if we don't get any further - I'm happy enough with plain orbiter.exe (.drirc didn't help with the d3xd7 artifacts, but they don't really bother me much).

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

I think I've worked out what's wrong.... my processor is too old. According to https://github.com/lutris/docs/blob/master/InstallingDrivers.md "Sandy Bridge and older lack any Vulkan support whatsoever."

gian

Reaction score
After several years I'm back to Orbiter once more, but this time using Linux. Installation went fine using Playonlinux and the link in the third post of this thread (i.e. http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/orbiter-space-flight-simulator-guide.452/).
I followed exactly the instructions in the link, except for the upgraded versions of Orbiter, Wine and OrbiterSound and did not add enhanced tectures for the time being.
Orbiter does seem to work, except for a couple of problems that make its use quite problematic:
1. some dialogs do not display any text
2. the control menus are consistent only in the leftmost display (for DG4-3)
In the screenshot I'm including both problems should be visible (I have red arrows to point to the problem I'm talking about)
Screenshot at 2021-02-26 17-18-38.png

I tried different setups and configurations without success.

Does anyone have any suggestion and/or has solved this problem in the past ?

rico1

Reaction score
Good evening to all.

I have also returned to Orbiter after some years away and have finally managed to get it working – almost.

Specs: MacBook Pro 2015, 2.8GHz Haswell 16Gb, ATI Radeon GPU 2Gb, Manjaro Linux 5.10, PlayOnLinux 4.4.2.

Orbiter configuration: Orbiter2016, D3D9 Client, Wine 4.1 32bit prefix Windows7, basic textures. DG4 Glass cockpit, 4 MFD, ±80FPS

Along the way to a running installation I disabled Virtual Desktop and am running Orbiter in a 1920xNNN window which allows for the two MFD’s and the sim speed control to be open as well.

I have a couple of issues:

1 I cannot find the Computer → Checklists / Nav Commands interface on an MFD – it is available in the centre console screen.

Is it the case that the Computer MFD interface is only available in the 2D cockpit?

2 Orbiter / Wine crashes on exit and I cannot save current state.

I don’t know if it is worth trying to solve the crash issue at present.

I want to try the Vulkan build on POL with 64 bit architecture, to see if I can get Orbiter running a bit more efficiently. However, I am fairly new to both Manjaro and POL so am not sure if I would be duplicating stuff or missing bits out.

I have extracted the following proposed method from the posts on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed: does this look correct?

1 install Vulkan drivers (from Manjaro/Arch repository)

I don’t want to disable the stock AMD installation for other uses – is it possible to have both drivers installed? Question Or will just configuring the virtual drive as proposed below be enough to use the Vulkan drivers for Orbiter alone?

2 Install Vulkan libraries to Manjaro

$ pamac install vulkan vulkan-info wine-dxvk dxvk-bin exe-thumbnailer lib32-mpg123 (? Is this last lib required in a 64bit prefix?)

Question Or do these go in the virtual drive? IE do I add them to the list of libraries in the next section?

3 Create POL virtual drive with the following libraries (or add after creation with shell command winetricks )

vcrun2005 vcrun2008 corefonts d9vk windowscodecs

Question, as Orbiter is a 32bit program, is there any advantage in installing in a 64bit prefix?

And if I install to a 64bit prefix, is there a preferred Windows version?

Install Mono and Gecko

4 I assume I don’t install D3D9Client and d3dx files (eg the Jun2010 runtime). Question Is that correct? And if it is, what replaces the D3D9 Client option in the Orbiter Launch screen configuration?

5 Install Orbiter, DGIV configuration, and Sound 5.0 to the virtual drive.

I’d appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

R

mxk

Reaction score
Firtst PlayOnLinux is not needed and you can remove it, and then using clean wine with prefix for 32 or 64 bit or both in different folders of course,
and second your wine 4.1 is little old version and from there i think come most of others issues.

rico1

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I'm using POL because I am not confident in using the CLI for Wine configuration. I have a number of windows programs running under POL and with that I can keep track of which is using what resources. If indeed POL is optional, rather than the cause of the problem, then I'd rather carry on with it.

I tried using Wine 5 and 6 - various versions - but so far only 4.1 allows me to see both text and graphics in the MFD's. I note for instance that MRozigor (post 12) and Gian (post 24) both have missing text. Why Wine 4.1 works I have no idea.

Actually at present, with the stock linux drivers, Orbiter is running quite well providing I use a 1920x1200 window instead of full screen and workaround the Exit CDT problem by Quicksaving before exiting. I am just trying to see whether utilising Vulkan could give me better GPU utilisation.

Tks

AliDarwesh

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having exactly the same problem where Orbiter2016 is running flawlessly but its not displaying any text in the MFD's and HUD.
I tried "winetricks d9vk" in PlayOnLinux virtual drive's shell, but this resulted in a black screen when opening a scenario orbiter_ng. Also, I noticed that after installing d9vk the 'video' tab said something with intel instead of the Nvidia GTX 470. I have a laptop with dedicated video card. maybe the issue is that d9vk tries to run the built-in card?
I attacked a screenshot from before installing d9vk.

please help I would really love to fix this

funny thing is I dont even have a Nvidia GTX 470 but a GeForce 620M. but all other games work fine under this configuration so I dont think this has anything to do with it,

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-05-01 14-34-24.png
    Screenshot from 2021-05-01 14-34-24.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 8

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
funny thing is I dont even have a Nvidia GTX 470 but a GeForce 620M. but all other games work fine under this configuration so I dont think this has anything to do with it,

If all games identify a 620M instead of a 620M I'd say there's something funny going on :

• maybe you have the wrong driver version installed
  • maybe one sold you a 620M saying it was a GTX470... do you have the GPU box ? Did you have a look inside the computer (might not be easy if you have a laptop) ?

AliDarwesh

Reaction score
If all games identify a 620M instead of a 620M I'd say there's something funny going on :

• maybe you have the wrong driver version installed
  • maybe one sold you a 620M saying it was a GTX470... do you have the GPU box ? Did you have a look inside the computer (might not be easy if you have a laptop) ?
Well its just that wine recognizes my 620M as a GTX470. All other programs recognize it fine.
Anyway wherever I look for vulkan-supported cards the 640M is always listed but not 620M. I'm starting to believe my card simpy doesnt support vulkan.
Is there no way to get Orbiter to work without vulkan?

AliDarwesh

Reaction score
Update: I finally got the text working in the MFD's by running it with wine 4.1
but now everytime when I exit, orbiter crashes.
does anybody know a version of wine with which both the text is visible and doesnt have this crash on exit bug?
thanks

JDat

Reaction score
I am using Orbiter 2016 with Wine 4.0.3 on Lubuntu 18.04 and laptop with Intel graphics. Everything works for me.

AliDarwesh

Reaction score
I am using Orbiter 2016 with Wine 4.0.3 on Lubuntu 18.04 and laptop with Intel graphics. Everything works for me.
thanks, I will try that one!

Update: didn't fix it for me neither with the intel nor with the nvidia card. thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

JDat

Reaction score
To be more specific. I have HP G62 laptop. It is ~10 years old. Running Orbiter in 800x600 window mode. Sometimes for DG ISS docking, sometimes for add-on/software tests.

AliDarwesh

Reaction score
Apart from the 'crash on error' bug I have, otherwise orbiter runs flawlessly at high framerates.
only when trying to run NASSP, the framerate will be around 2 on the main panel, and around 40 in outside view.
any workarounds for this?
I tried all the options for NASSP in vessel configurations and non of them seem to work.
lowering max resolution also doesnt fix it.

Does anybody else have problems with NASSP under wine?

mxk

Reaction score
For those who has a problem with follow error when start Orbiter simulator in DirectX 9

Planet.fx(41,8) error X4579: NaN and infinity literals not allowed by shader
ID3dxeffectcompiler: Compilation failed

the fast solution is next:
sed -i 's/(dotr/(0.0f/' /Orbiter2016/Modules/D3D9Client/Planet.fx

or manual open file Planet.fx and edit next line from:
float spec = pow(diff,0.25f) * pow(dotr, gWater.specPower);

to this:
float spec = pow(diff,0.25f) * pow(0.0f, gWater.specPower);

this is not perfect solution but for now it work

Kubala95

Reaction score
I have maybe useful conclusion about running Orbiter using Wine. OrbiterSound 5.0 (built for Orbiter 2016) should be used, version 4.0 causes a CDT in the case of external view in the space. It is probably related with playing background music. It can be trivial but if somebody has old (or long unused) catalog with Orbiter, it's easy to forget about outdated addon.

turtle91

Reaction score
I have a real strange issue using very recent versions of WINE:

Since years, I have plenty of stability issues using D3D9-client in various WINE versions (started form 1.6 staging to 5.11...)
Problem was/is, that many scenarios cannot be loaded without a segfault (very intermittent).
No errors in the logs...just load-up and bang(application error ...needs to be closed...).
Sometimes I can resolve this with change in the view before a save. I.e. Looking at empty Neptune, while a SpaceX launch-setup waits for action at Earth.
So I load up a view to Neptune and switch then back to a earth vessel.
Sometimes this works (to avoid instand app-crash during SCN-load)...and....sometimes...not. Depends on weather and cosmic rays....:)

Now...finally, after alll this years in pain...I found a rocket-stable WINE version.
Here I can load all scenarios...no bangs or hangs...all fine..:EXCEPT:

Since WINE version 5.10 (same for 5.11), I cannot switch vessels anymore.
I hit F3, I see the list...but when selecting another vessel (i.e. standard ISS), the SELECT-button is "greyed-out".
Double-click on i.e "ISS" does not do anything anymore.

So...I have now a very stable setup, but cannot switch vessels in WINE 5.10 and 5.11 (5.5 is fine, but unstable as usual...)
I can even respawn the Orbiter-launch-pad in every tested scenario, multiple times...without exit, but no way to switch vessels.
I can select them in SCN-editor...but I cannot control them directly via F3.

Has somebody ever seen this before ?