Orbiter 2016

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Some captions on the revamped Orbiter website are barely readable, see for example the last wireframe image on the "Earth" collection.
Text says:

Adaptive level of detail
A look inside Orbiter's rendering engine. Planetary surface meshes are adaptively refined according to camera distance. To demonstrate the effect, this image shows a wireframe model of a view of Earth's surface (the Matterhorn, to be precise).

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks again, Martin, for producing yet another incarnation of the best space simulator on the market.

:hailprobe:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
They are two separate torrents -- the Orbiter2016.zip torrent is the official one. Where did you get the European torrent? Is one of the mirrors serving it up? If so, that's a bug. The filename in the 'Orbiter 2016 Core_ ZIP Package' torrent is wrong, and it is not one of the official torrents.

EDIT:
I just checked, and the wrong torrent files for the Orbiter 2016 MSI and ZIP are indeed on the European mirror. As a heads-up to all, please use the torrent download links on one of the other mirrors until we can fix the European mirror. The torrent files themselves are small, and downloading the torrent file from a remote mirror will not affect your download speed for the actual Orbiter 2016 core files.

This issue has now been resolved. It's worth grabbing the newer torrent file even if you've already downloaded using the one previously available from my mirror (orbiter-radio.co.uk), because the two torrents have different infohashes, meaning that if you're seeding the older one, downloaders of the new one can't download from you.

You can verify you're seeding / downloading the right torrents by checking those hashes: The values are:

Orbiter2016.zip.torrent: 920158d61587ee0049f3369076fd1dae60472d9b
Orbiter2016.exe.torrent: 19f5cb4b507725b31d1fc68e6811f6c498adbfeb

The incorrect torrents have the following hashes:

Zip package: b1e8090ab5f274a05aac87d8b544c485b1e3ba68
MSI package: bcc10977c514eb3b5a0e7870e13fcf23b32ec11f

If you've got those hashes, then what you can do is download the newer torrent, and point it at the same download path, where you've pulled the Orbiter files to - this should cause the torrent to jump straight to "seeding", if you've already pulled the whole package, so you won't need to re-download the files.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Isn't there any 'diff' zip package? Similiar to the ones for rc2 to rc 3, and rc 3 to rc 4?
Or can someone make one and upload it here as an attachment? for rc4 to release. So that its not required to download the whole 2.5gb base package once more. I already have the rc4 package

Jordan

Reaction score
Isn't there any 'diff' zip package? Similiar to the ones for rc2 to rc 3, and rc 3 to rc 4?

That would be too large estimated to 2GB.
Wanted to make one but I have noticed that it would not help to much.

If someone intends to download the high-resolution texture files, and i think everyone will do this, then the Earth, Moon, Mars and Minorbodys from base package are no more required. Then it is possible to pack the base package separately without these textures. But it will also be about 700mb large.

btw. the Hires Textures are the same as in RC4. you don't have to download it again if you have this done before. I have only Downloaded "Earth/Elev_mod.tree" again because i had a wrong md5 checksum.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
Bonjour,

I have less time than before to fly in your simu Doctor but it's always a pleasure and an interest to follow its evolution and sometimes, at new, take control of a DG, a shuttle and try a rendez vous. Appolo someday ?

Thank you.

good day

:)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you very much and excellent work as usual Martins ! :cheers:

Orbiter 2016, the Terrain edition ! Now we can do real exploration on those planets and moons ! :thumbup:

The way I see it, the three last features that would make this simulator perfect are now vessel-to-vessel collisions, liquid surfaces simulation, and interstellar travel. But right now some rest with the project seems reasonable enough :lol:

crisbeta

Reaction score
If you've got those hashes, then what you can do is download the newer torrent, and point it at the same download path, where you've pulled the Orbiter files to - this should cause the torrent to jump straight to "seeding", if you've already pulled the whole package, so you won't need to re-download the files.

It works exactly as you said. Now back to seeding "European mirror" (ZIP format).
:cheers:

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
for me the zoom stays at 3000... is that the normal or... did i do something wrong?

i am using one of my own addons

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the other mirrors are going, but the new pair of servers setup for orbiter.us have sent over 1.2TB each for a total of over 2.5TB in the past 24 hours since release... Signs of a healthy community!

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
First of all thanks for making from what has already been a dream came true since 2000, something better than anything I could have dreamed of.

Just a remark I should make: I'm surprised that the page makes reference to Orbiter usefulness to C++ learning (which I enjoyed myself) but does not mention the embeded Lua Script Interpreter Module. Isn't it a shift in simulator contained features relevance?

Again, thanks for outworlding my world.

Beep

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm not sure how the other mirrors are going, but the new pair of servers setup for orbiter.us have sent over 1.2TB each for a total of over 2.5TB in the past 24 hours since release... Signs of a healthy community!

It's a little hard to differentiate for the Orbiter Radio box, since it's also used for OHM asset storage, but the box shipped 1.2TiB today, and about 700GiB yesterday, so the increase is somewhat visible.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
There are some known "misunderstandings" between XR fleet and OrbiterSound 4 (and something else I might not know of) ...

What does that mean? :blink: As far as I know, OrbiterSound 4 works fine with Orbiter 2016 and with the new XR vessels. If you are seeing a problem with OrbiterSound 4 that is XR vessel-specific, please post details in the Updated XR Vessels for Orbiter 2016 Released thread and I'll look into it. :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I remember to have read here on OF that some audio calls (one could be "wheels up"?) are triggered by other events.
Maybe someone else can be more precise than me. I'm on XP and can't run XR fleet anymore.

Here they also report generic "problems" with OrbiterSound 4.0
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=13797.msg207037

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a fault of some of my settings somehow, but even if I choose to "disable vertical sync" I still get 60 fps as the maximum with the inline, while I get more than 120 with the D3D9, like if with the inline the disable vert sync option doesn't work.

I'm noticing the same behavior with D3D9.

[UPDATE]: I played around with the graphics settings just to make sure 60fps just didn't happen to be what my hardware could produce and 60fps is all I can get.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Quick question.

I haven't found any reference to the new atmospheric wind effects in the documentation. How does it work? Are the wind velocities random? Do they change during the mission?

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Also, in Surface HUD, is the prograde (circle +) symbol relative to the surface or relative to the wind?

If the former, I would recommend a mode to switch to the later.