Orbiter 2016

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try this:
Right click on Orbiter's icon to show its properties, go for the "Compatibility" tab, set a checkmark at "Deactivate scaling for high DPI-levels".

By default Winows enlarges graphics at high DPI levels, to avoid unreadable small text. Unfortunately this seems to extend the 'logical' screen beyond the physical size of the screen for some graphics cards when in full-screen mode.

That worked, thanks! :thumbup:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I've just started to get into it, and so far I love the new interface. One issue I have is that the program turns off ClearType font on my PC. If anyone knows how to keep it from doing this I'd appreciate it.

I have to say, the new Earth and Moon textures (and Mars!) are really quite beautiful.

Oh, I didn't even realize that Orbiter was the culprit. :facepalm:

Thank you!

Last edited:

pappy2

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Have you noticed that the selection button MFD does not work ??
Do you have a solution ?

PBMFDSCHUTTLE.jpg

turtle91

Reaction score
Have you noticed that the selection button MFD does not work ??
Do you have a solution ?
Yes...there is a solution, it works a bit different:

The black buttons, you are using, are controlling the MFD-brightness (click+hold on the "very right" side and the "very left" side of this button).

To change to a different MFD:
Just click+hold "PG"-button
Then a new page will be visible, where you can choose which MFD to select

pappy2

Reaction score
Thank you "turtle"
The cockpit of Atlantis really is more beautiful when it is illuminated.

2016-09-17_163654.jpg

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a very minor "bug" of the new 2016 webpage (or a feature I don't catch), but when you click the Mirrors' buttons they show different top menus:

Mirror1 (orbiter-radio.co.uk) and Mirror4 (Alteaaerospace.com) only show "Download" and "Help".
Mirror2 and 3 (orbiter.us) also show "High Res Textures" and "Texture Help".

It's the same both for "Orbiter core package download" and "Optional high-resolution texture download".

You're not crazy... I modified the HTML source for orbiter.us to give links between the core download and the textures. I thought it was a convenience thing. Each of the mirrors are independently operated. I have put the HTML codes in a git repo if anyone wants to submit changes to orbiter.us:

https://bitbucket.org/rpurinton/orbiter.us

I know not everything is quite perfect with the HTML there...

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a bug of the mods, or of Orbiter: Flying two tailsitters, Luna and Rolling Stone. If they don't land perfectly, they fall over. But they keep falling through the ground until they are pointed nose downward into the earth.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Old touchdown point definitions in my guess: without defining a 4th point which gives the convexity of the hull orbiter does not know which way is upright

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is that defined in the mesh file, the config file, or where? Maybe I could manually edit the files...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Old touchdown point definitions in my guess: without defining a 4th point which gives the convexity of the hull orbiter does not know which way is upright

But it knows which way is down, since the default behavior is upside down!
If it worked the other way by default... problem solved :lol:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've also noticed some flickering of planets occasionally. I first noticed it over Jupiter, testing the Outer Planets addon; I later notest it in LEO. I'm thinking it's the cloud layer. Not sure what's causing it... perhaps the fact I've got a hundred or so rocks flying around right now? (I love a cluttered sky!)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I've also noticed some flickering of planets occasionally. I first noticed it over Jupiter

Same here in Jupiter. It seems to be the redish cloud layer that appears around the planet, when the ship is at a high phase angle to the planet. The layer starts missing slices.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
I'm late to the party, but I've finally got everything downloaded and installed, and I had to leave a comment:

This is a huge achievement. Congratulations to Martin and everyone involved.

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just out of idle curiosity... what's the maximum number of planets and moons Orbiter can handle? I'm at about 100 at the moment (lots and lots of rocks!), and working on adding the Outer Planets to the list of working addons, which would bring the total up to 200 or so.

pappy2

Reaction score
2016-09-26_213047.jpg

If I might make a small remark, it lacks a touch of red color ... like a little DG.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Same here in Jupiter. It seems to be the redish cloud layer that appears around the planet, when the ship is at a high phase angle to the planet. The layer starts missing slices.
... and I'm seeing the same issue on Earth, high-phase angle and about GEO distance.

turtle91

Reaction score
... and I'm seeing the same issue on Earth, high-phase angle and about GEO distance.

I have his on Earth, too. But it is even worse on Mars. (D3D9 client)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok. I noticed in a dialogue box not x to close. I can't close the window.
slstowernotd3d9.jpg

But it is there in d3d9
slstowerd3d9.jpg

turtle91

Reaction score
I don't have the "X" at all(i.e. ExtMFD).
However, I have "focus-follow-mouse" active and a "ALT+F4" works fine for me AFTER moving the mouse over the whatever-control-box.

I have Windows 7, I tried various "compatibilty-modes" and disabled all the windows-visual-stuff-options....but still...no "X"...just "Space". :p