General Question Orbiter and Lagrangian points

Applesan

Reaction score
I read in a website about Lagrangian points but does orbiter simulate that? Its basically absolute zero gravity right? thx

Rathelm

Reaction score
Orbiter simulates Newtonian mechanics so yes you could use Lagrangian points. It's not technically zero gravity. It's more the combined gravitational forces of the two bodies keep your craft in a "locked" location, if you will.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
That said, for L1 and L2 points, one must be very careful when attempting to maintain a position at the point - it is impossible to be spot-on it, and, on top of that, the gravity of other bodies will pull you off the point, albeit slowly. For example, if we were considering a Shuttle-A at the Earth - Moon L1 point, the gravity of the Sun, Jupiter, Saturn, and perhaps even Mars and Venus would all affect and pull on the Shuttle-A. Hence, the Shuttle-A would occasionaly have to modify it's orbit and use it's thrusters to move back towards the L1 point.

I know you're about to ask: How do I get to a Lagrange point in Orbiter? You might be thinking to yourself: "That would make one kick-smurf place for a space station!" Or, you might be thinking something something completely different. Allow me to point you to this: Lagrange MFD. That said, if you do figure out how to use it, do tell, for I can't make head nor tale of it.

RSWingman

Reaction score
Lagrange MFD:

Allow me to point you to this: Lagrange MFD. That said, if you do figure out how to use it, do tell, for I can't make head nor tale of it.

The display is a simple layout of a two-body system and it's five Lagrange points. You select a primary & secondary body and it traces your craft in green. It's best viewed on full time-warp.

Since the displayed System and it's L-points are displayed relatively stationary, the actual movements of the System inversely sum with your own and you can make some really interesting geometries coasting around. (Your own movement is displayed as relative to a stationarily displayed System).

Any more technical, I haven't figured-out yet.

Travis Reed

Unstable
Reaction score
The display is a simple layout of a two-body system and it's five Lagrange points. You select a primary & secondary body and it traces your craft in green. It's best viewed on full time-warp.

Since the displayed System and it's L-points are displayed relatively stationary, the actual movements of the System inversely sum with your own and you can make some really interesting geometries coasting around. (Your own movement is displayed as relative to a stationarily displayed System).

Any more technical, I haven't figured-out yet.

That's a little further than I got...perhaps CJP would care to share some tips for navigating into a lagrange point?

Last edited: