NASSP Orbiter Autopilots in NASSP

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello, is there a way to get the standard autopilots (prograte / retrograte / nominal +/- ...) working?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hello, is there a way to get the standard autopilots (prograte / retrograte / nominal +/- ...) working?

Isn't that like expecting GPS on the HMS King George V? :hmm:

Would it help you having a single DIN A5 sheet with instructions how to get the desired effect?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, those are not going to work right. The S-IVB for example has really low thrust thrusters, so it would work about as well as the autopilot modes with the ISS in Orbiter. And the last remnants of it for the CSM and LM have been removed after the NASSP 7.0 release. So maybe they are still working in that release version. I never checked.

Starting with Apollo 15 the CMC actually got a whole suite of tools for pointing, useful for PTC and pointing the SIM Bay at the Moon. So with Apollo 15+ you can use Program 20 of the AGC to do exactly the same things as the Orbiter autopilots.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Isn't that like expecting GPS on the HMS King George V? :hmm:

Would it help you having a single DIN A5 sheet with instructions how to get the desired effect?

Hi Urwumpe,

ok if you ask in detail ;-) , I will test my base land (It's an external autopilot) if it can land the NASSP LEM but it can't controll the RCS and I guess it's the same issue...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi Urwumpe,

ok if you ask in detail ;-) , I will test my base land (It's an external autopilot) if it can land the NASSP LEM but it can't controll the RCS and I guess it's the same issue...

Would it maybe work with an alternative LEM?

[ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5846"]Spider Lunar Lander *Beta v2.3*[/ame]

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will test my base land (It's an external autopilot) if it can land the NASSP LEM but it can't controll the RCS and I guess it's the same issue...

Of course you could try plugging in your autopilot into NASSP as if was an extra computer. Does it have jet select logic? Then you could call the functions for setting specific thrusters. Can your autopilot output attitude error? In that case you could actually hook up your autopilot to the backup guidance system of the LM. But Urwumpe's suggestion is probably better, use another LM addon that is a bit more "Orbiter default".