Orbiter beta texture issues

sleat

Reaction score
MD5 hash for Earth.7z.001 is continually wrong

Hello,

Try as I might, both with Chrome and GetRight, I can't seem to get Earth.7z.001 downloaded properly.

The other (.002, .003, etc) files MD5 hash correctly. It seems to be the right size, however.

However, even though the .001 file will actually open in 7zip, its MD5 is not what's published on the webpage.

The file I have hashes as follows:
MD5 hash of file Earth.7z.001:
f6 12 c9 25 35 69 62 59 0a 0a 96 25 8b d2 c5 e3

Should I just go ahead and use it anyway? I wonder what's wrong?

UPDATE: I'm silly. I dunno what it was I did wrong, but trying .001 again from scratch fixed the checksum. ALL GOOD!

Cheers,
Joe

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hello All

First Thank so much Martin for this amazing peace of software and for all your work you spent with it the last 15 years.

becouse this is a special thread about 2015 beta textures i will not write more off topic now.

i have installed orbiter 2015 with all high res textures.
textures\earth folder is 62,7 GB size.

today i flew to new york and the details where very poor. when i flew over florida or to west direction mexico the details are always very high. it looks like you would really fly.

i am software engineer so i want to report this maybe there are several problems in beta.
i will fly over a lot of areas in the next future. should i report this if i encounter similar problems with other places on earth.

thanks again for this amazing simulator
and thanks to everyone who made an addon for this...

Florida in general, and KSC in particular use higher texture resolutions in the current texture pack than the rest of Earth's surface. For the global Earth textures, I generated textures based on Landsat-7 scenes. Landsat 7 support 30m resolution (15m with pan-sharpening). I am currently not using the full resolution potential. I could probably go still one level higher (without having to use pan-sharpening) or two (with sharpening), resulting in a global texture package of 200GB or 800GB, respectively (zipped). However, processing the raw Landsat images is quite processor-intensive, and based on current experience, it might take me several months of full-time number-crunching to generate those textures. Since the resulting download size might be prohibitive for most users (not to mention the cost of hosting the downloads), it won't happen very soon.

For Florida, the textures are based on aerial imagery (digital orthoimage quarter quads) available for most of the USA at varying quality, but not for the rest of the world. Global high-resolution imagery is very expensive (typically > $10^5) so not really an option here. If you have a source for royalty-free high-resolution textures, you are very welcome to generate (and hopefully share) a texture set from it. Be warned though: a global texture set at the resolution of the current KSC textures would take up roughly 200TB (zipped) and several PB (after installation), at a crude estimate.

So in short: yes, NY is not supported at the same resolution as Florida in the current texture pack, and this isn't likely to change.

ASharpEdge

Reaction score
HD Texture Download Issues

I am having issues downloading the HD textures. I have download all of them 3 times now and still cannot get the MD5's to match. Even tried unzipping anyway to see if the MD5's were just giving me bad info but when I try to unzip with either 7-zip or WinRAR I get tons of errors.

I am no stranger to downloading and unzipping....Only thing I can come up with is the data is bad to begin with.....

Is another way to download the HD textures???

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...Let me know if anything is unclear or could be designed better.
The homepage at
http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/orbiter_texturepacks.html

says:
The zip fragments are also available via the peer-to-peer bittorrent protocol, allowing faster, distributed downloads with pause and resume functionality.

but there's no trace of downloadable torrents in those pages.
I don't now what it takes (sorry if it's unfeasable), but it could be nice to have them.
:cheers:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The homepage at
http://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/orbiter_texturepacks.html

says:

but there's no trace of downloadable torrents in those pages.
I don't now what it takes (sorry if it's unfeasable), but it could be nice to have them.
:cheers:

They did exist, but the nature of the way the torrents worked means re-creating them each time the tilesets are updated. I resolved to hold off creating another until the final version of the assets is complete, but if there is sufficient interest in a torrent set of the current version it's not a difficult matter to create one.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
The moon high resolution textures failed. (I mean all 3 of them.) I couldn't open them using 7zip and extract them. Anyone, please help me. 7 zip says it could not open the moon.7z.003 as archieve. The same for the other 2.

Please help me. Anyone out there?

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

I tried the hi-res texture for earth, they failed either. Anyone to the rescue?

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If they downloaded correctly, you should have all the zip files in the same folder and you start extracting the first one and 7zip should automatically decompress the rest. I downloaded them over a year ago and didn't have any problems, I have not done it recently.

Check the file sizes and the hash if there is one listed on the site.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Hello jroly, I don't understand what do you mean by "all the zip files in the same folder." I thought the zip files are downloaded separately. My Orbiter beta is installed in my D drive. But my hi-res texture 7 zip files are downloaded to the "Download" folder in my C drive. I first test the zip files by opening the archives with 7 zip. I f they can be opened without problems, I will move them to my Orbiter beta in D drive and extract them. The above method works with the hi-res texture for Mars, but not for Earth and Moon. I don't know why.

Also, why do you mention zip files? I though the archive are in the 7zip format, not zip files. I also don't know what is "hash". Please tell me more.

Thanks.

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

jroly, I have succeeded in downloading all 3 high resolution texture files for Moon. But I am only able to view the archive content of the first 7zip file, but not the second and third. I tried the same on my earlier Mars texture files and only the first Mars hi-res file can be opened. Does this mean that I just have to extract the first 7zip file and the rest will be extracted as well? (I noticed that the file names are the same, just that the extension numbers differ, i.e. from 001 to 003)

Nicholas.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Yes, exactly. It's a multipart archive.
Just put the files in one folder and only unzip the first one. 7zip will manage the rest.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks Ripley, I have successfully downloaded the hi-res texture for moon. the landscape is very impressive!

Now, I will start downloading the texture files for Earth. I will update you when I have succeeded. (I already downloaded the texture files for Mars and explored Olympus Mons and Mariner Valley.)

One question. Why is it that Mars is larger than moon but the texture files for Moon is larger than mars?

Nicholas.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why is it that Mars is larger than moon but the texture files for Moon is larger than mars?

We have higher resolution for the moon than we have for Mars...

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
jedidia, do you mean the resolving power of LRO's Wide Angle Camera is greater than MRO's?

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

To Ripley and jroly (and of course other members of the forum who have helped me),

I have succeeded in downloading all 6 "giant" high resolution LandSAT texture files for Earth. The next step would be unpacking them. I will update my results later. The texture files are very large and it took me 2 days to complete the download process. First day (yesterday) first 3 parts of the archive and today the remaining 3 parts.

I will unpack my very large Earth resolution files tomorrow. See you then.

Regards,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added 05-25-16 at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-16 at 12:59 PM ----------

I am now unpacking my very large earth resolution texture files. That would take me 2.5 hours. Only 34% complete as of this reply. I also downloaded the microtexture for area around KSC and VAFB. Now, I have one question. How should I unpack the Hires Microtexture files downloaded from Dr.Martin's "New Orbiter Beta r.55 Released" thread?

Should I simply unpack them into the Orbiter beta folder just like the other 2 planets and Moon's hires texture and allow the new files to overwrite the previous hires texture files that come with the original Orbiter hires Earth texture?

Regards,

Nicholas.

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I am now unpacking my very large earth resolution texture files. That would take me 2.5 hours. Only 34% complete as of this reply.
This is not exciting.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
No, it just means that the map data available for the moon is better.

MRO did not yet achieve full coverage BTW.

http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/bin/hirise.pl

Hello, we meet again.:tiphat: You must have known that I am serious (as in the last thread we communicated.) Your serious mentee would like to thank you for sharing with him about MRO data. However, I don't understand why the data looks complete but mentor Urwumpe still says it haven't achieved full coverage. Can you please tell me, mentor?

Your very serious mentee,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

This is not exciting.

Now 54%. 1 hour 47 minutes to go. Extracting at 4.6Mb/s disk drive speed.

You don't have to feel sad. My computer is slow compared to others. I am using APU processor, AMD A6. You don't have to wait and care for me, Enjo. Just do your things and reply others thread as you want. I am ok.

Regards,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Anyway, both of you haven't answered my question. See my previous thread above about microtexture issues.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Ok, first clear view of the SLF. Thanks for all. Then, I speed up time. It is in the evening and finally dark. Nom the runway is lit up. But the SLF night texture is very ugly. It is very rough. Hopefully Dr. Martin can rectify the problem before publishing Orbiter Beta 2016 as a standard version.

Anyway, the LandSAT terrain data is impressive. Thanks Dr. Martin and thanks for all. Wait, don't forget my microtexture question. I am waiting for your answer. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nicholas

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sorry, I ain't into mentoring. And I choose my apprentices myself. ;)

However, I don't understand why the data looks complete

Noticed that the coverage is only small spots? The MRO does only operate in a snapshot mode, it photographs a small 6 km x 36 km strip of land in a very high resolution (0.3 m) in three spectral channels (until its 3.5 GB RAM is full) and then compresses the data and transmits the data back to Earth.

An image of MRO is made of multiple greyscale image channels, the red channel is 20,000 x 126,000 pixels large, the two other channels 4,000 x 126,000. MRO does not produce true color images like a digital camera (Blue and green are for example one channel for the MRO and only represent a 1.2 km wide sector of the photographed target)

The best mission to produce a full coverage of Mars in true colour so far is Mars Express - but AFAIR it still hasn't completed this yet, in 2012 it had mapped 61.5% of Mars at 10 m resolution.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Anyway, both of you haven't answered my question. See my previous thread above about microtexture issues.
Because I don't know the answer to this question.

And I'm not sad. I only meant that the information you posted wasn't an exciting thing to read. Compare it for example with posts of Keithth G.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...Now have one question. How should I unpack the Hires Microtexture files downloaded from Dr.Martin's "New Orbiter Beta r.55 Released" thread?
Since you are asking for help, can you at least provide us with a precise link to the post with these microtextures you are interested in?

Last edited:

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I ain't into mentoring. And I choose my apprentices myself. ;)

Noticed that the coverage is only small spots? The MRO does only operate in a snapshot mode, it photographs a small 6 km x 36 km strip of land in a very high resolution (0.3 m) in three spectral channels (until its 3.5 GB RAM is full) and then compresses the data and transmits the data back to Earth.

An image of MRO is made of multiple greyscale image channels, the red channel is 20,000 x 126,000 pixels large, the two other channels 4,000 x 126,000. MRO does not produce true color images like a digital camera (Blue and green are for example one channel for the MRO and only represent a 1.2 km wide sector of the photographed target)

The best mission to produce a full coverage of Mars in true colour so far is Mars Express - but AFAIR it still hasn't completed this yet, in 2012 it had mapped 61.5% of Mars at 10 m resolution.

Ok. Thanks Urwumpe, who chooses to be a diligent apprentice rather than a mentor.

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Because I don't know the answer to this question.

And I'm not sad. I only meant that the information you posted wasn't an exciting thing to read. Compare it for example with posts of Keithth G.

No problem, Mr. Ripley is out there to help me. Your link to KeiththG's post fails. Please check again. I cannot link to KeiththG's post by clicking your link.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Since you are asking for help, can you at least provide us with a precise link to the post with these microtextures you are interested in?

No problem, I thought I had mentioned it. It is the microtexture posted by Orbiter's founder, Dr. Martin in his Orbiter Beta r.55 thread.

Here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36637

See the first post by Dr.Martin. There is only one link there. That is the link I am asking about. I already downloaded the Hi-res texture and also the mixrotexture files by clicking the link in that post. But I am not very sure how to unpack it. Should I just unzip into the Orbiter Hi-res texture files or should I download additional files. Dr. Martin did mention that it is an UPDATE. I am afraid I might overlook some important files.

Please help me Mr. Ripley.

Regards,

Nicholas.