Orbiter beta texture issues

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...See the first post by Dr.Martin. There is only one link there. That is the link I am asking about. I already downloaded the Hi-res texture and also the mixrotexture files by clicking the link in that post. But I am not very sure how to unpack it. Should I just unzip into the Orbiter Hi-res texture files or should I download additional files...
Quoting Martin directly. Emphasys mine:
...This should be unpacked in the Orbiter directory ("extract here") and allowed to overwrite existing tiles. Note that this requires the high-resolution Earth textures already installed (either the full texture set, or the 10/08 tile from the map picker in the beta texture repository)...
I cannot be clearer than him.
Keep in mind though that the Low resolution (Earth in this case) textures are mandatory.

So, install in order:
  1. LoRes Textures
  2. HiRes Textures
  3. Updated microtextures

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm Spartacus.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
No problem Ripley. I have successfully unpacked the files. Thanks. Sorry for interruption.

I apologize. You know, I am an idiot. Teenagers have to learn in a humble fashion from great masters like Ripley, Urwumpe, and Enjo and finally one more, that is Notebook.

Thanks for all your kind help.

My question ends here.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I apologize. You know, I am an idiot. Teenagers have to learn in a humble fashion from great masters like Ripley, Urwumpe, and Enjo and finally one more, that is Notebook.
Now you're getting it!

GregD

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
High Rez unzip problem

After down loading all the files the first file unzipped fine. But none of the others would unzip. The typical error was:
1 C:\ortiter_beta\Textures\Mars\Mars.7z.002
Can not open file as archive

This is the first time I have used 7-zip.

fort

Reaction score
Hello,

The problem with night lights, for me at least, with some procedures I use, it is the clear stretches even really clear which represent on maps of cropland ( cultures ) or quarries (of chalk for example) or more, sand (deserts in the first place). I have not found a comprehensive solution to this problem. Overall: I mean, for all the nightlights in the whole Orbiter. Without this problem it would not be easy but possible ( nevertheless with a machine of a bigger power ) that mine.

Locally, it is possible even if that remains artificial and with artifacts. I turned around the issue, with some ideas and just experiment with this, that shows the city ( it is a random choice but by reference to the sandy environment I was looking to put away )... city of Ahvah in Iran (around one million persons). I made it quickly enough ( after maybe two or more years on that question ..). In Orbiter it's a level 15.

I also made some tests near KSC from Canaveral to the west coast, particulary on Orlando, at level 16, and it's, well, good. Sometimes i lost some parts of roads ( as it was the case on Ahvah here ) but i can reinstall them at the end.

I'll clean up my notes and see how i can continue.

I'll try to find time to explain here how i proceed ( i dont speak english well and it will be a pain but ).

For the moment, if someone want tou try to work with that bmp et install it in Orbiter to test ( reducing the height of the bmp with the cos of the lat... 31° 17′ Nord 48° 43′ Est), i'll create a link. It's really perfectible.

http://ge.tt/2ydN5jd2

Attachments

• day.jpg
    day.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 34
  • night.jpg
    night.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
After down loading all the files the first file unzipped fine. But none of the others would unzip. The typical error was:
1 C:\ortiter_beta\Textures\Mars\Mars.7z.002
Can not open file as archive

This is the first time I have used 7-zip.
You have done everything right!
The (7)ZIP files are split and only the first is to be "opened" and "extracted". The others are sub-parts, which contents will be extracted by opening / extracting the first.
So everything should be fine for you if you just extract the first one.

Reaction score
Earth Cloud Texture Mods

Thought I'd stick this here as it's texture 'issues'. Back in the earlier versions of the latest beta, I noticed several glitches in the cloud texture, which for me, could jar the otherwise superb view in LEO (where I seem to spend most of my simulated flight time).

I checked the original file (ISTR Dr Schweiger referencing the source in the forum somewhere, can't find the link right now), and sure enough, the glitches were present there. So I set about working out the locations and affected .dds files, and making some (very) amateur adjustments in Gimp (mainly blur/smudge, some healing along linear glitches).

I think the results look better, a couple of 'before & afters' below. The question is, does anybody else care about these? I found about 25 different areas but there may well be more. Note this is not a correction of the baked-in cloud on surface textures (e.g. S. America), nor is it a complete work - there are almost certainly other areas that I haven't noticed.

I have successfully run texpack, to properly insert the mods into the tree archive format, but that runs to about 300Mb which seems slightly impractical to upload, particularly as there are only about 200 modifications (@ c.256kb ea.). If anyone's interested, I could upload them in the original format, to be re-packed on the end-user's machine. (On that note, can anybody assist in how to zip using relative paths?)

Attachments

• Clouds (2).jpg
    Clouds (2).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Clouds (2) Fix.jpg
    Clouds (2) Fix.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Clouds 20.jpg
    Clouds 20.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Clouds (20) Fix.jpg
    Clouds (20) Fix.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 48

innovine

Reaction score
What is the licensing for the texture packs? I didn't see any mention of this on the download site. Are we free to use them in other projects?

fort

Reaction score
What is the licensing for the texture packs? I didn't see any mention of this on the download site. Are we free to use them in other projects?

Hello,

Read, maybe, the complete presentation of the work of Martin on Landsat ( at least ), and precisely, the last two lines, where it's question of copyright.

Don't know if it gives an answer to you.

good day.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Martin, I've got a question regarding texture blending of water mask.

I'm currently in the process of implementing an automatic texture blending into treeman's old-style base conversion feature. In principle it goes like this:

• Each old-style base tile will be converted to the DXT1 format tree tile.
  • Base tiles that had the transparency bit set in the base config list will be alpha blended over an already present tile from the tree.
  • If no tile on the same position is present, the next tile in the quadtree in upwards direction is used, split and blown up accordingly.
I thought this to give a better automated merging result than just copying such transparency tiles as is, and indeed it does (Vandenberg addon):
Before:
noblending.jpg

After:
blending.jpg

However, I get the impression that the water masking might not be applied over higher resolution tiles if no equivalent high resolution masking tile is present. Could that be? Do we have to also provide high resolution masking tiles if we want at least coast lines to have smooth edges?

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

Answered my own question: yes, it is so.

I've added a small extension, and now treeman also spits out appropriate Mask layer tiles. Result:
masklayer.jpg

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Yes, a non-existing mask tile simply signals "no transparency". So the mask tile always has to be paired with a texture tile. Orbiter doesn't search the ancestor chain for the mask tiles independently of the texture chain.

fort

Reaction score
erreur

---------- Post added 09-03-16 at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-02-16 at 08:47 PM ----------

Two sets of images, as waypoints, about the exercises I lead again on night lights. They are still incomplete from different point of views.

Obtained with different processes, one more extensible than the other to all the views in Orbiter. I spent part of my summer

to this but I return to work Monday and will put betweeen brackets that work.

Here it's Level 16, approximately 3.5 km in altitude, and it is Titusville near KSC and further Orlando. Yet many artifacts

but there are not too expensive -i hope - ways to reduce them; many improvements to bring.

essai1

essai1_1

essai1_2

essai2

essai2_2

Last edited:

innovine

Reaction score
Hello,

Read, maybe, the complete presentation of the work of Martin on Landsat ( at least ), and precisely, the last two lines, where it's question of copyright.

Don't know if it gives an answer to you.

good day.

And where is that?
I have not found any info related to copyright, which is why I asked.

fort

Reaction score
And where is that?
I have not found any info related to copyright, which is why I asked.

Hello,

Landsat Earth for Orbiter (LEO) by martins 10-20-13, 04:57 AM
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32465&highlight=landsat

.../ last paragraph:

12. And finally, a plea for help

Also (to cover all bases), by processing the scenes and sending me the result, you agree to pass the copyright to the tile to me. This is to avoid ending up with a map that has 500 different copyrights attached to it

Does this mean that there is a copyright ? I don't know. The word is there. See by yourself.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If not stated otherwise, I'd fall back to rely on the Orbiter Freeware License, because the texture packs are part of the Orbiter distribution.