Orbiter CD Iso

estar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there an ISO available for download for a Orbiter 2006 Collection? I feel the one I did for the show in 2006 is out of date and if somebody had one done already it would save me some time.

Thanks
Rob Conley

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Nope. Putting many addons together would involve a copyright issue.
This is why you see all addons from different authors being downloaded separatelly.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Copywhat issues?
The add-ons are released for everyone to use, so why should anyone of the makers care in which way they get to the people who want to use them?

It's not like someone is trying to sell them...

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
the only time there would be a problem is if it is licensed but I don't want any of my addons redistributing with out my permission

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Shouldn't be. As long as fees are not charged...... It begs the question what licence the downloads are offered under and if no licence is explictily written then what is the implicit license?

estar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am well aware of the issues with licensing.

I am not charging for these CDs they are being handed out for free and made on my own dime to raise public awareness of Orbiter.

Again if anybody has an iso or another package of Orbiter they used for a similar purpose it would save considerable time in making these CDs.

Rob Conley

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
The "Problem" is that the developers just want to know where their add-on is going.
If i ever made an add-on, I wouldn't have a problem with people using it, but i would like to know where its going, and if i'm even getting credit for it.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If he didn't say anything, you wouldn't have known, lighten up.

estar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I found the package I used for 2005 and 2006 and just updated them. I figured with all the work on demo cds and conference that one of the compilier had posted the iso for a compliation CD up. I seen the various lists they are way better than what I did.

As far as credit goes I point people to Orbiter Hangar, my site, and Orbitersim.com. I explain that Orbiter and it's add-on are a community effort by hundreds of people around the globe dedicated to the vision of space exploration. Most people are dumfounded all of this is free.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
If he didn't say anything, you wouldn't have known, lighten up.
I REALLY hope what i'm about to say doesn't start a flaming war....so, your kinda going along with the "what they dont know wont hurt them" logic? Well, that works for a while...until the developers find out you did that. With a lot of them, it might just be fine, but with some, they might take it personally and actually do something about it.

So, yeah, thats my 2 cents. I'll stay out of this thread now....

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What could they do about it ? Not a hell of alot.

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if you're going to make an add-on pack, get the permission of all the add-on authors (or at least MOST of them), post on the forums what add-ons are included and why, clearly state in the readme that orbiter is completely free, if the material in this disc is used to make add-ons the original authors must be credited, etc. etc.

That said, I'm fairly certain that giving away CDs containing the basic 2006+P1 distribution, a few tutorials (such as go play in space - will need to get permission here), and a list of recommended add-ons, weblinks, etc. would be allowed. Plus, if there's a design printed on the disc, and a snazzy case I'm sure not many people would complain :)

Anyway, this would be ideal for those of use who have poor internet connections - including High-res Textures (Earth L10, etc. - once again, get permission), would make it a lot easier to get into Orbiter.

Perhaps it could run in a similar way to the free Linux/ubuntu discs you can order over the net - the discs and associated P&H are donated by the distributer. I'd certainly order one, if only to keep a backup of a basic orbiter install.

Overall, it just comes down to getting permission from various people in the community, and having enough money to give away free CDs En Masse.

Could be something to think about.

EDIT: The point to make is to include as few of add-ons as possible, that'll make it easier to get permission of the authors

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
estar, I don't think anyone would have a iso file for a Orbiter CD, however it wouldn't be hard to make one with the right tools.

Tommy

Reaction score
I know Dan has objected to other people distributing his add-ons, including Orbitsound and Ummu, even if credit is given. He said that makes it impossible for him to ensure that people are getting the latest version. He releases under his own licence, which is legally binding (at least in the US, Canada, and EU countries).

I think a CD like you propose is a great idea, but it is mandatory that you get the permission from ALL authors of any material you include. Not doing so is not just illegal, but insulting to the people who put their time and effort into creating these materials.

I suspect most creators will be willing to let you include their material if due credit is given.

BTW, in the USA at least, materials such as software, meshes, textures, tutorials, audio files, etc, are legally copyrighted as soon as they are published. Registration is not required, it only serves to help prove your case if someone infringes on your material and you sue them, or they claim credit and attempt to sue you. Thus, all add-ons are copyrighted as soon as they are posted on the web, and lack of a clearly stated license does not grant anyone any permission to redistribute in any form. A license grants rights,it doesn't restrict them.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
I personally would think the best way would be to get permission from Martin, have the base package on the CD, have Go Play In Space on there if you can get permission from the author to do so, and have links to the addons.

I agree with Tommy, most developers would probably allow you to include their addons, but I know (from what I've read) that Dan won't allow you to put OrbiterSound in there. That's not a bad thing, though, again, as Tommy said, it means that if no-one's re-distributing it, he can be sure that people are getting the newest version. Heh, maybe the addon developers should go down the well-worn SVN path... Back to the topic.

Remember, though, that at this confrence you can easily have a couple of machines running Orbiter, show them it with all it's awesome addon glory, give them a CD with the base installation, Go Play In Space, and a list of reccomended addons, perhaps also an explanation of why you can't legaly give out the addons yourself. I'm sure that, after seeing the awesomeness of Orbiter, people will be more than happy to download OrbiterSound, the DGIV, UMMU, The XRs, ASMO, IMFD, and so on themselves. I sure did.

And just one side note to Donamy: Well, they can take you to court.