Orbiter Distribution - Torrents

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
All moved in with the new internet, there's a solid 1.5 mb up and now, unlike before, ALL torrents are online at all times, thanks to my spiffy internet connection at the new house.

Happy Holidays Orbitiers!

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Big news!

As this project has grown considerably, we've moved the Torrent effort to a new home that will include conventional (HTTP) downloads.

The new website is http://www.downloadorbitersim.com

All of the torrents are listed and we hope to soon have the other downloads setup and ready!

Many thanks to everyone in the community for a fun and wonderful project!

---------- Post added 05-25-10 at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-24-10 at 09:25 PM ----------

ALL downloads are finished and available!

There are now two ways to download all of the files we mirror. We all know I host the torrent downloads however NOW you can download the .zip files directly from the website!

Direct File Downloads are the title for anything that are.. well its self explanatory :lol: - None the less, all of those downloads are also available.

Now just to wait for the next release and add those as well!

Happy Orbiting!

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My own little surprise release :) (mine is lame in comparison lol)

I also made www.downloadorbiter.com which is intended to be a community helping to archive all old Orbiter files by torrent. I want to archive as much as possible, without disrespecting developers / alike. As torrents are able to be fully archived by all (including the .torrent file (the index if you will)) then this is an everlasting collection that can be created and preserved.

Many thanks all!

Happy Orbiting!

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
A special Tuesday thanks for commitment to the cause :cheers:

fort

Reaction score
It seems that Iapetus and Rhea's files are corrupted on the direct download and i do not sucess to repair them with winrar. Some files avaible for download seems to be the same as the one's coming with PlanetHires060504.zip ( orbiter 2006 ) and certainly Rhea but Iapetus is bigger.

fort

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Greetings Fort, thanks for the information.
(replicated post on downloadorbiter)

I tested both files using firefox and got the same problem, then tested Iapetus with other computers:

pc 1
- local, winrar = works
- firefox, winrar = failed (same error)
- opera, winrar = works
- internet explorer, winrar = works
- rebuilt those two downloads, still having a failure with firefox.

pc 2
- firefox, windows = works

pc 3
- firefox, windows = works

My initial thoughts are that its in our temporary files? What web browser was used?

fort

Reaction score
:)

Eh...it's firefox. I've try with IE and winrar some minutes ago and it's good.Iapetus:8974 ko. Rhea: 2090 ko.

I've try with firefox in the same moment ant it still fruitless. Iapetus: 50 ko. Rhea: 116 ko.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:)

Eh...it's firefox. I've try with IE and winrar some minutes ago and it's good.Iapetus:8974 ko. Rhea: 2090 ko.

I've try with firefox in the same moment ant it still fruitless. Iapetus: 50 ko. Rhea: 116 ko.
Try clearing your cache. This will force FF to grab a new package and download it instead of using the incomplete corrupted version in your cache.

fort

Reaction score
Try clearing your cache. This will force FF to grab a new package and download it instead of using the incomplete corrupted version in your cache.

Yes DaveS,

I remember, but i'm not sure, that I've made it yesterday, for my first trys, when i saw that the files where corrupted, but without results.

Most generally, i learn, in this circumstance, that sometimes, with compressed files, the result of the download can be different, depending of the browser. I've had, in the past, some problems similar to that one with FF. I'm going to check, from now, all the zip downloaded since some months.

I was looking on the web yesterday for a program capable to do it for a série of zip/rar and not only one by one , but i've discovered that winrar ( and maybe winzip, 7 zip, etc ) can do it easily.

Anyway, thank you for your response.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Couple of days ago I tried downloading Orbiter distribution through torrents from http://downloadorbiter.com/ - both base ZIP and high level textures. When I unpacked the ZIP's I've got numerous 'failed CRC check' messages, and Orbiter broke upon running (orbiter.exe weirdly stopped being executable after 1st run). After I deleted everything and retried with the old way download, everything was fine.

Does anybody have any ideas, what happened here?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have any ideas, what happened here?
This shouldn't happen to those files. Files downloaded via torrent are divided into chunks, for which are generated checksums (hashes), and each fully downloaded chunk should be checked by torrent client against its checksum. If checksums don't match, that part of file should be marked as invalid and redownloaded. The full file has its own hash too, against which it should be checked by the client. However, something could happen to those files after they'd been downloaded, or hashes weren't checked. What torrent client have you used?

The strange is that "orbiter.exe" was executable first, and then stopped being it. This might be a problem with hard disk, system drivers, disk cache buffer, or a virus.

I just downloaded the "orbiter100606.zip" via torrent and it's working fine. I tested the archive with no errors as a result, and then compared it to the one I downloaded via http in June. The files are the same.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
What torrent client have you used?

I used uTorrent 1.8.2 (the most stable of torrent clients for me). I never had similar problems with any of the stuff I downloaded using one before.

But I have my copy of Orbiter anyway, so okay, let's disregard this prob as one of the many strange things in the Universe we can never hope to get a grasp on...

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
one of the many strange things in the Universe we can never hope to get a grasp on...

Apologies for this abnormality of the downloads. This sounds like a local cache problem. I would scrub the downloaded files and .torrent.

Glad you already have a copy to run on ;)

Eric

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Brief update on Download Orbiter .com

Download Orbiter is under construction and will be up soon.

One of the things I plan to include is a gallery of images from Orbiter that help depict the more artistic features that are present. Its odd (or perhaps perfectly logical) how in space there is 99.9% nothing but the beauty left behind is simply remarkable..

If anyone would like to submit a screenshot for the website, please send it to my office email [email protected] with the topic 'Orbiter Screenshot' please. I will start a folder to place them all and include them in the website release. Please no caps that are less than 600 pixels in width, anything smaller would look silly when opened ;)

Many of the other features to come are ideas I wanted to include in the release of Download Orbiter Sim however due to either time or other complications I was unable to offer. One of the biggest things it will focus on is single file distribution, this is the ability to download one massive file and end up with an entire collection such as 'All Orbiter 2010' in one hit - no picking and choosing.

More information to come,
Eric

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have updated the website Orbiter Simulator to include the Orbiter 2010 files and Orbiter Sim LandSAT files for download.

Please let me know if you run into trouble, once I add the newest textures for direct download I will start a torrent archive on this website as it makes sense to consolidate everything to one location.

:cheers: all

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have updated the website Orbiter Simulator to include the Orbiter 2010 files and Orbiter Sim LandSAT files for download.

Please let me know if you run into trouble, once I add the newest textures for direct download I will start a torrent archive on this website as it makes sense to consolidate everything to one location.

:cheers: all

Wow, this is great news! Thanks a lot! :cheers:

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
small issue

In Contact info the pop-up box (like email adress is invalid) uses almost white text on white background).

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In Contact info the pop-up box (like email adress is invalid) uses almost white text on white background).

You mean the text that is input to the space when you type? If so, to me its nearly black in color. Can other patrons replicate the problem?