Orbiter Distribution - Torrents

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
rewrite your headers.

You mean on the website where the torrent links are at?

---------- Post added 10-27-2009 at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-26-2009 at 09:05 PM ----------

I'll start seeding the torrents when they're released as I have a pretty good server on a dedicated 100Mb/s link to the UK backbone.

Many thanks, I've sent you a pm.

Eric

bloodtoes

Reaction score
This is excellent news. I will download the release through bittorrent and do my part by keeping my torrents seeding for a while after 2009 releases.

Thank you martins for making this wonderful simulator, for keeping it free, and thank you to the awesome mod developers who keep cranking out new and interesting content through the years.

:cheers:

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is excellent news. I will download the release through bittorrent and do my part by keeping my torrents seeding for a while after 2009 releases.

Thank you martins for making this wonderful simulator, for keeping it free, and thank you to the awesome mod developers who keep cranking out new and interesting content through the years.

:cheers:

And thank YOU for the seeding!

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter 2006 .Torrent Release Coming Soon

I'll be forward and make the first joke that my 2006 release is almost in time for next release 1/3 decade later! lol (post jokes at it if you got 'em!)

Beyond that fun, the 2006 files are being posted because I am wanting to promote this site as a deep organic archive, so their footprint, hopefully many more, will be made here.

Anyone who wants to seed before its official opening, the feedback and seeding would be greatly appreciated. Post a reply or send me a message, either way indicating that you wish to seed and once I fill in the last of the links on the torrent directory (a few days) I'll send you the url to the unlisted Orbiter .Torrent Directory.

Again, this round is just to get the 2006 files setup, however this also helps us to prove the system before the next release :)

Preview of my server with this update:
2006yay.gif

Many thanks to all the supporters for a wonderfully enjoyable projects birth!
Eric

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Orbiter 2006 .Torrent Release Coming Soon

Preview of my server with this update:
2006yay.gif

Many thanks to all the supporters for a wonderfully enjoyable projects birth!
Eric
Would it be worth having a torrent that seeds everything in one go so that people don't have to download a large amount of torrents? Or perhaps a 'small' and 'large' set that will have the low-res and high-res textures along with the base-install? May make it easier to use

Just a thought.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Would it be worth having a torrent that seeds everything in one go so that people don't have to download a large amount of torrents? Or perhaps a 'small' and 'large' set that will have the low-res and high-res textures along with the base-install? May make it easier to use

Just a thought.

All in one go: The folder structure is close to this already, so I'll work on adding that into the sites update thats upcoming - Thanks!

Low / High size packs: The sites next update is a few days away and it separates everything into the Orbiter zip file name and content format. This means if you have the zips, you can instantly seed these torrents. This also means that all files are individual so if you want a L7 Earth but a L19 Moon but no other textures, its totally possible to just leech the particular zips - I hadn't offered anything in a bundle like that in the release however this is somewhat similar to some discussions with TSPenguin and I will work to tie this into the next update.

Last edited:

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Site update status:

I had hoped to start the release tonight at the latest however I'm going to keep working on the changes for a few days, I would rather make all the page changes at once, after everything is proper.

Changes:
- Add Orbiter 2006 snapshot, 90% done
- Update theme to new compliance, done
- Convert to new file name format (Orbiter Standard), 90% done
- Add developers & host/seeders portal, 90% done
- Add FAQ section, done

The developers & host/seeders portal is really just a way to log in and communicate with torrent farmers (any hosts/seeds/ect) and other dev's that have torrents listed. There will be sections of the community for different needs to help both hosts/seeds and dev's keep in touch by topic.

Keep in mind that I'm 100% open to developers doing their own torrents and just listing, or listing and seeding them. I'd also like to look at other older files and 'off the beaten path' projects getting their space :)

Eric

Last edited:

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've had a number of requests for Moon L11, so I made some time today to finish the Orbiter 2006 area. http://stableit.org/torrent/orbiter-2006/ This page should be finalized moving forward.

Added posted Moon090730_L11.zip to the mix and updated all torrents. The 'all files torrent' should be done shortly as well.

For all hosts, this news post is about LandSAT files, please check it out as it will impact everyone - sorry about that friends!

Note: Moon_L11 is available from the pre-release page linked from http://stableit.org

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I've had a number of requests for Moon L11, so I made some time today to finish the Orbiter 2006 area. http://stableit.org/torrent/orbiter-2006/ This page should be finalized moving forward.

Added posted Moon090730_L11.zip to the mix and updated all torrents. The 'all files torrent' should be done shortly as well.
Is this for Orbiter 2006 or 2009? I thought Orbiter 2006 has only support for L10 global, and higher levels only as surface base tiles.

Peskie

Reaction score

FYI, the Mars L9 torrent link on that page gives me a 404 error. All the other torrent files are fine. I've started seeding the *.zip files I already had on my hard disk.

Note to users of uTorrent: if you are downloading any of these you can use the Advanced tab on the torrent properties dialog to add one or more URLs to the "Web Seeds" section. uTorrent will then also use these URLs to fetch the file, thus speeding up your download. For most files that came from the official orbiter site the URL is of the form http://download.orbit.m6.net/FILE060504_L#.zip. For the Moon090730_L11.torrent; you can add http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/orbitervis/Texture%20files/Moon090730_L11.zip to use SourceForge's mirrors to speed up your download.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I've started downloading (and will seed) the Moon L11 texture and the 06 base package. It should bump up the speed a bit hopefully. I can probably host more, but have to do them via command line in a unix screen, so if anyone has a way of better tracking multiple torrents in one place easily via SSH, please let me know!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I've started downloading (and will seed) the Moon L11 texture and the 06 base package. It should bump up the speed a bit hopefully. I can probably host more, but have to do them via command line in a unix screen, so if anyone has a way of better tracking multiple torrents in one place easily via SSH, please let me know!

That entirely depends on what client you are using now.
rTorrent is a quite popular ncurses client.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is this for Orbiter 2006 or 2009? I thought Orbiter 2006 has only support for L10 global, and higher levels only as surface base tiles.

This staged update of my website does not include plans for 2009, only 2006 and LandSAT, however I am planning to launch a 2009 package.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

FYI, the Mars L9 torrent link on that page gives me a 404 error. All the other torrent files are fine. I've started seeding the *.zip files I already had on my hard disk.

Note to users of uTorrent: if you are downloading any of these you can use the Advanced tab on the torrent properties dialog to add one or more URLs to the "Web Seeds" section. uTorrent will then also use these URLs to fetch the file, thus speeding up your download. For most files that came from the official orbiter site the URL is of the form http://download.orbit.m6.net/FILE060504_L#.zip. For the Moon090730_L11.torrent; you can add http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/orbitervis/Texture files/Moon090730_L11.zip to use SourceForge's mirrors to speed up your download.

I've updated the page to have the proper link for Mars L9 - thanks for that :)

I'm planning to setup utorrent on another pc here which I just rebuilt to contribute some info to the torrent faq.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
This staged update of my website does not include plans for 2009, only 2006 and LandSAT, however I am planning to launch a 2009 package.
So Moon090730_L11.zip should be in 2009 package, since it's designed for it, and doesn't work with Orbiter 2006. However I tested it only with 2009, but it shouldn't work with 2006 because of changed structure of Moon_tile.bin between those versions. Can anyone confirm this? (I can't right now, because I'm at work).

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I can confirm this now. Moon090730_L11 doesn't work with Orbiter 2006. It's for Orbiter 2009.

Last edited:

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So Moon090730_L11.zip should be in 2009 package, since it's designed for it, and doesn't work with Orbiter 2006. However I tested it only with 2009, but it shouldn't work with 2006 because of changed structure of Moon_tile.bin between those versions. Can anyone confirm this? (I can't right now, because I'm at work).

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I can confirm this now. Moon090730_L11 doesn't work with Orbiter 2006. It's for Orbiter 2009.

I'm not able to replicate, my 'fun' computer is not operational. I can fairly easily correct this by adding a temporary page for Moon 11. I'll see what I can do about this after I get the new torrents and page updates setup for LandSAT.

Thx

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

LandSAT Files and Page Updated

The file name formats changed to be easier to identify, please see .torrent file names on the LandSAT page.

Also updated the page to be a little faster loading and give more space to grow.

Get the news:
http://stableit.org/blog/2009/11/17/landsat-page-update/

Visit the page:
http://stableit.org/torrent/landsat/

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

And no sooner than I post, I found an issue. Having to disable and re enable a few things. Will probably have to change a few urls to correct this, will post once its resolved.

The problem is using a server that has virtual structure(s) and having real structures layered. This came up earlier and I patched the changes at the root directory however its not holding so I'm going to re-build (takes about 30 minutes) the torrents / pages in two structures which don't overlap.

Eric

---------- Post added 11-18-09 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-17-09 at 10:52 PM ----------

Big LOL

So its fixed, all urls of torrent files (only the files) are changed to the subdomain of http://torrent.stableit.org/*section* rather than http://stableit.org/torrent/*section*

This does not change any web related urls, just the torrent files themselves. If you were hard linking directly to the files through the old system, it is reverse compatible and will not change anything on your side.

I'll move the Moon L11 file to its own link shortly :)

Last edited:

SethEden

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.SethEden.com
Correctomundo

Correctomundo, yes, the Moon L11 map should not be put in the Orbiter 2006 folder/package. This is a new map for when Orbiter 2009 is released. It's not out yet kids. :tiphat:

I understand this has already been taken care of, so it's all good.

Also this map was put together by Dr. Martin Schweiger specifically for Orbiter 2009! The OrbitersimLandSAT team is also working on a very
high resolution Moon map and we have been making great progress, but we will not likely have it done before the Orbiter 2009 release time, whenever that might be. :p

We've also structured the mapping interface to allow for expansion and updates to the map from LRO data. :cheers:So we should be able to stay on the curve of mapping advancement for some time to come.

We are actually excited to get done with moon mapping and eager to begin work on actual Earth Landsat image processing. This has been our desire from the beginning. The moon was just a bigger distraction then we anticipated, as we are trying to build off the hype from LRO and LCROSS to help drive exposure of Orbiter to the general public.

On the marketing of Orbiter to the public, there is some exciting news in the works, although I'm not permitted to talk about it just yet.

We've had a family disaster and there are some issues with my computer that need to be solved, so things are going a little slower then I would like. That's the nature of things some times, life goes on. :thumbup:

Cheers
Seth

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm moving tomorrow to the new house, that means my package of torrents will be down for a few days however there are many other seeds that people can use.

The alternate seeds will automatically be used by your software, meaning that tomorrow while my server is offline, everyone will be able to pull torrents the same way as you currently do - visiting stableit.org and downloading the .torrent file to your torrent client.

Any downloads that are in progress will not be effected by my downtime, unless I was the only host of a file, however I recall that every file is replicated (thanks to everyone!!!)

I will have e-mail through the move, you can reach me at [email protected] - thats my cell phone so I may not be big on words, but it will work ;)

Thanks again,
Eric