Question Orbiter Extreme Systems?

Siliconaut

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried some of the more extreme gravitational experiments in orbiter? Like some of these extra solar planets that zip around their stars in several days, etc? Double star systems, globular clusters. I know there is a 300 AU limit but there are numerous examples of binary trinity stars within that limit. Heck I think it would be cool to fly a DG in a binary or trinary system full of nothing but small rocks and asteroids just to see the stars interact over months. I'm curious as to what sources I can read to maybe create my own custom systems to experiment in. I don't mean mesh making. I just would like to play God with all the stuff I already have at my fingertips. Like orbiting a "hot jupiter" that whips around its star in 14 days or whatever.

Last edited:

gertz

Reaction score
The thing is that Orbiter uses, well, rather simple mechanics which avoid complex motion laws, moreover it has a star being only one central body, and an attempt to simulate binary star system will be looking like this: a usual star which is a center of system and planetary body with star's physical parameters and appropriate texture orbiting the first star but not their barycenter.
The other way is to make "Sun" object a dummy one, with no visible texture and small radius, but with mass located in it, while letting multiple stars which would be ordinary "planets"-alike bodies with appropriate texture and size rotate around it.
This would work only in case of "stars" being coorbital bodies (either way there will be no illusion of barycenter), meaning that we have to work with a binary system in the core which consists of similar or equal in mass objects. Also note that the source of light still will be the central dummy body. At first iteration it actually might work, further attempts to somehow re-distribute masses between dummy central object and "stars" might give a descent output though, but surely not in case of close fly-by's.

Edit: while hot Jupiters are exactly what you can do quite precisely.
Also, just in case you would like to experiment with star systems, you might ave find useful a sheet I've made for such a case: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=33603

Last edited: