General Question Orbiter for sale on e-bay?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Looks more like Celestia.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
You have to give credit for the name. "Amazing Space Simulator", why didn't Dr. Schweiger think of that? :p

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rather deceiving, not listing the actual title of the software....

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
From the blurred screenshots, the overlay text doesn't look like Orbiter. However it wouldn't be a difficult think to mock up in an image editing suite, I suppose.

EtherDragon

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just to be safe, I asked for some more screen shots.

If it's either Orbiter or Celestia - repackaged, it will get reported as infringing material.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Our Software is either produced under the GNU licence of produced exclusively by us. All our CDs are Copyright LGSoftware@2009.

The picture of the software box is for illustration and marketing purposes only. You will receive a professionally authored CD.

Well, at least they say what they do... but in a very unprofessional way.

also their logo looks a lot like the LG Electronics one

http://lg.com/de/index.jsp

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
The item in linked to in the first post is Celestia (and there is nothing wrong in selling it, since it is GPL, although the copyright notices in these listings are usually at least questionable).

Then of course there's this one :lol:

I usually do report blatant cases like this, since for some reason they tend to piss me off ...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Again:

This item does not infringe any trademark, copyright, or other rights nor does it infringe eBay's listing or spam policies.

Everything contained on the advertised CD is distributed freely and globally under the terms of the GNU Public License or the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) We have full and legal right to re-distribute this product.

So wrong, so wrong...

You really need to have a lot of humor for not letting your barbarian take over and start to loot and pillage...

Maybe in some years, in my most nuts and bolts vision, SSU, as true GPL software, might require alternative distribution via DVD, which would make third-party distributions tolerable, if proper credited....

(32 MB per mission, if using custom image files for each mission, this means 4 GB for storing the MMU tape images)

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

They're being evil. Can we, like, kill them or something?

I would say, we should be looting, sacking, plundering, despoiling, despoliating and pillaging them. But all in moderation.

Dambuster

Reaction score
The item in linked to in the first post is Celestia (and there is nothing wrong in selling it, since it is GPL, although the copyright notices in these listings are usually at least questionable).

Then of course there's this one :lol:

I usually do report blatant cases like this, since for some reason they tend to piss me off ...

Do you mind if I troll his YouTube video a bit?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Do you mind if I troll his YouTube video a bit?

Yes, actually. I never condone trolling, and I don't really see anything wrong with the video itself (other than being a bit dull). What makes you think it's his?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I don't really see anything wrong with the video itself (other than being a bit dull). What makes you think it's his?
And of course, if the video has in fact been produced by one of our valued forum users, I offer my profuse apologies :flowers:. Blame it on my infantile taste in fast-paced action movies. If you excuse me, I'll be off biting my tongue. :lol:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, actually. I never condone trolling, and I don't really see anything wrong with the video itself (other than being a bit dull). What makes you think it's his?
I agree about not trolling the video, but there are similarities between the video and the ad:

• The video is part of the video channel "broseinternational". The profile mentions name "Ambrose" and country "United Kingdom".
  • The ebay ad mentions a price in GBP and a .co.uk e-mail addres, so it gives the impression of being located in the UK
  • The ebay ad shows the following contact information:
    Gee Investment
    Ambrose ElenduUL Polna
    8M 18
    07100 Węgrów, mazowieckie
    Poland
Note that the ad claims that all included software is (L)GPL, which is clearly not the case if Orbiter is included.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Others beat me to it, but this is Celestia. A crappily put together ripoff of Celestia, by the looks of it.

I say we bombard the seller with queries regarding their glass duck collection. After a few years of harassment some form of psychosis should set in, and the item will most likely be removed due to the stigma surrounding mental illness.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I say we bombard the seller with queries regarding their glass duck collection. After a few years of harassment some form of psychosis should set in, and the item will most likely be removed due to the stigma surrounding mental illness.

Very silly idea as they will have a rightful reason to get you bared from eBay for that sort of thing. Much better to flag the item as copyright theft and demand that ebay deal with it.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Judging by the other videos on this loon's channel, and the other stuff he's selling, it looks like he's ripping off a whole lot more people than just Martin here.
Perhaps action against the whole account instead of just the one item?
Or there's always pillaging. :chainsaw:
((Okay, sorry. I was just dying for a reason to use that smily.))