Orbiter Forum Return to Phobos and Deimos

Voyager

Reaction score
Yes, yes I know all about the Orbiter Forum Mission to Mars. But they completely bypass both of Mar's moons, Phobos and Deimos. Those two moons are important as they could be a stepping stone to Jupiter and beyond. The idea will have 3 main goals.

Goal 1: To have bases on both Phobos and Deimos to act as stepping stones to Jupiter and beyond.

Goal 2: To have stations orbit both Phobos and Deimos to act as stops before landing on either moon or heading to Jupiter and beyond.

Goal 3: To have Orbinauts help for the mission to head to Phobos and Deimos.

How we do it:

Perhaps, we would launch an Arrow, or some other craft that can carry UCGO cargo and UMMU's. Then the vessel would depart by the pilot's choice, from Earth directly to Mars and then to the moons, Earth to Venus and then slingshot to Mars and its moons, to slingshot by Luna and head to Mars and its Moons.
For the stations module after a small base is erected on Phobos and Deimos, a heavy lifter would transport the modules to Mars, and then to Phobos and Deimos. After the space craft's mission is complete they would land on Mars and end their journey for another day.

Note: This is a fundamental idea. I am open to all kinds of criticism.

Voyager

Reaction score
We will be using Orbiter 2006. I am also not sure about IMFD or TransX. We will have pilots to send up modules or spacecraft into orbit, while other people head to the planet.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure you need an Arrow just for that. Remember, it can only carry one lander, restricting you to either landing on the moons one at a time or leaving the lander on one and landing the Arrow directly on the other. Also, TheEyes is right; you can't orbit Phobos or Deimos.
One other thing: even if you land on one of the moons, it will probably look terrible. The mesh doesn't line up with the landable surface.

If you want to go through with it, though, I'll give it a shot.
I suggest using the James Cook and two DeltagliderIVs. That way you can land on both moons and use the Cook as a space station in Mars Orbit.

Voyager

Reaction score
Darnit, then this mission should be canceled because of this.