Hardware Orbiter in 3D?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Because my primary monitor is broken, I'm (just) thinking about to buy a new monitor which support 3D. I have an ATI 5800 series graphic card (So no NVIDIA) and I currently don't plan to buy a new one. But I read that this card already supports 3D, by using the newest driver, even if the card is a bit older ;-)

So my questions are,
- Which games are supporting 3D? Are all DirectX games 3D compatible? (Or maybe only DirectX 11)?
- Is the quality only good for NVIDIA cards or is AMD (ATI) also good?
- What’s about Orbiter in 3D?
- Are shutter glasses the only solution for monitors?
- What’s about the quality? Is it ok with today’s technology or is it recommended to wait some more time?

Sorry I looked in the Internet but I don't found clear answers to all this questions...

Maybe someone has experiences with this and can help me...

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Game makers needs the NVIDIA API to make it NVIDIA 3D Vision compatible (not sure about Hydra (AMD's 3D Technology)), so not every DirectX games are supported.

In 2D, quality is the same on equivalent cards. AMD is a bit cheaper tho. I didn't tested 3D.

D3D9 client implemented 3D Vision already.

I don't know about shutter solution only avaliable, but it is the best way for now to get 3D. You only need your card to be able to show 80-120 FPS.

Now you can get away with a simple analygraph glasses (like me) but when you can buy a proper 3D monitor, go for it. The only wait might be to see if prices go down, but technology is already here.

Keatah

Reaction score
I'd wait another 5 (or even 10) years to see if the technology is perfected and trickles down to the mainstream.