Orbiter Multiplayer beta tester!

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Who is going to manage the group though? I don't think carmen is coming back.

Me, I will try to manage it and maybe work on it this weekend.
'That’s one small step for man…'
Any help will be appreciated, but we can talk about it on the weekend, if there is any time besides flying.

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for adding me as an official beta tester! The server is great and has no lag for me at all.

I do have one question: what is all this talk about bombs and missiles? are they officially supported? because I can't see them...

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Uhm, where do you get UCGO? dansteph's page is offline right now... That's the only thing other than a tempermental and slow internet connection that is keeping me from joining the fun...

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Uhm, where do you get UCGO? dansteph's page is offline right now... That's the only thing other than a tempermental and slow internet connection that is keeping me from joining the fun...
Congratz Maverick on connecting properly in OMP! Welcome to the group looking forward to doing some flying and or combat :thumbup: I am not sure if you know but if you dont you can goto scenario editor and add or remove vessels also. And as long as other people have the same vessel they will see you and you can see them. I am flying the G42-starliner right now

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ok, that's a HUGE leap forward from before! Mixed formation flights, anyone? :cool:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Just a heads-up.

In the Required addons page the link to OrbiterSound 4 isn't working.

This is the new OH page
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6249"]OrbiterSound 4.0[/ame]

...And it should be "required", not "reqired" ;)

While we're at it, I was thinking of using the multiplayer to teach Orbiter basics to some new buddies at FOI. We could talk through TS and see each other.
It could be terrific!

May I go for it, or is OMP only for planned and proper, serious, multiplayer missions?

:hailprobe:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
While we're at it, I was thinking of using the multiplayer to teach Orbiter basics to some new buddies at FOI. We could talk through TS and see each other.
It could be terrific!

Just keep in mind that OMP is not completely reproducing the visual state on remote machine. I.e. animations and especially cockpit activity is not fully functioning now, and even disabled by default.

So you can't e.g. teach somebody how to use IMFD to do interplanetary flight by means of showing the appropriate steps. All you can do is flying the mission and tell others to sit in the cockpit and watch and operate the instruments on their own.

May I go for it, or is OMP only for planned and proper, serious, multiplayer missions?

OMP is just the platform. Everybody can host a server and do whatever he wants. If the question is if Ren's server is only for planned and serious multiplayer missions, I'd say that it depends on what the beta team is deciding.

I think that most of the time everybody is just hanging out there and waiting for other users to appear and fly with them. Only on certain weekends the call was made to have a serious testing of some topic going.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Just keep in mind that OMP is not completely reproducing the visual state on remote machine. I.e. animations and especially cockpit activity is not fully functioning now, and even disabled by default...
Ok, thanks. I didn't know that.
Anyway, we can at least share the same scenario, e.g., I fly my DG, my buddies fly theirs alongside, in a kind of formation flying. Everyone must click in his own cockpit on the appropriate buttons according to info/instructions...

OMP is just the platform. Everybody can host a server and do whatever he wants. If the question is if Ren's server is only for planned and serious multiplayer missions, I'd say that it depends on what the beta team is deciding...
Yes, that was the exact meaning of my question.

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
In the Required addons page the link to OrbiterSound 4.0 isn't working.
Thanks Ripley, I fixed the link and the spelling.

Feel free to use it any time, except every second Saturday (see OMP Mission Command), then we try to do a more or less organized mission.

So there is plenty of spare time on the OMP server for your missions. If you have a mission schedule, I could put the information on the OMP Mission Command section.
If you need a special setup or scenario, let me know in advance and I will see what I can do for you.

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Thanks Ren for the explanation and the kind offer.
I don't have any "mission schedule" or whatever, sorry. I would use your server just for simple teaching purposes, and see how it goes.

I'm scanning through the install info, requireds and so on...but I don't see anything about MFDs dos and donts.
I guess I can install my preferred ones, cant'I?

About the new OMPMissile.dll and OMPClient.dll linked in post #1: are they still needed or are they included in the 0.7.3 from Bitbucket?

Thanks and :tiphat:

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
About the new OMPMissile.dll and OMPClient.dll linked in post #1: are they still needed or are they included in the 0.7.3 from Bitbucket?

Since 0.7.3 is not the latest tip of Bitbucket, the binaries in the download section are needed. I only package binaries - corresponding to source code - at release points, not for every commit.

Axertan

Reaction score
Just a heads-up.

In the Required addons page the link to OrbiterSound 4 isn't working.

This is the new OH page
OrbiterSound 4.0

Oops, I forgot that Dansteph is rebuilding his web atm. And spelling erors errorrs errors.
Thanks Ripley, I fixed the link and the spelling.
You beat me to it Ren, thanks

Anyway, I tested OMP with the "new" releases of Orbitersound and UMMU (Orbitersound 4.0 and UCGO 2.5 + UMmu 2.5 Gold release, respectively) and so far as one client is concerned, it worked. (I did XR2 EVA/Ingress) I'd like to suggest testing the new UMMU/UCGO on the server with other people.
I'm scanning through the install info, requireds and so on...but I don't see anything about MFDs dos and donts.
I guess I can install my preferred ones, cant'I?

I'd expect client only MFD's (Those that don't spawn/delete vessels) to be compatible. Bomb/Missile MFD's and alike are a bit incompatible, causing a bit of crashing (But we have OMP missile now, don't we :) ) I guess you can try and see what happens... Worst case scenario is you crashing to desktop, along with people on the server :lol:

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...I'd expect client only MFD's (Those that don't spawn/delete) vessels to be compatible...
I'm thinking more about "standard" MFDs, like IMFD, Launch, Lunar Transfer, Basesync, Aerobrake...that kind of things.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm thinking more about "standard" MFDs, like IMFD, Launch, Lunar Transfer, Basesync, Aerobrake...that kind of things.
it has been my experience that due to the non rotating earth in OMP this sometimes throws off certain MFD's. Exactly which ones I can't be sure. But I do know Aerobrake and basesync work great.

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
OMP Beta tester needed!

A new OMP Client has been released

... and now we need pilots to test Face's new OMP v0.8 release! Join us on the coming up missions. See OMP Mission Command

Also need pilots to capture some docking scenes for a new OMP movie.

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
In the "required addons" and "installation guide" pages, there are 2 mismatching recommended versions of UCGO.