Orbiter on ipad

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I cannot seem to find the idea section on this forum but I got an idea! Let see about putting orbiter on the ipad, or other handheld device! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter is closed-source, so Dr. Schweiger would have to port it and do all of the work. It would also require an entire rewrite of the graphics engine, as DirectX is only available on Windows.

It would be cool, but it would take a lot of work.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter is closed-source, so Dr. Schweiger would have to port it and do all of the work. It would also require an entire rewrite of the graphics engine, as DirectX is only available on Windows.

It would be cool, but it would take a lot of work.

In more general fashion, Orbiter is also built on Windows programming concepts like handles, which would make rewriting the program damn near impossible, and also force a rewrite of every add-on ever made for it. Not just a recompile of the source of the add-on, a complete rewrite of the code. That probably rules out UMMU, UCGO, IMS, the XR Fleet, every launch vehicle, AMSO...

That being said there is a current project to produce some sort of space simulator for ipad that was posted to here a short while ago. I wish I had the link handy, they looked decently close to some sort of release...

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

That makes sense! I know about the space simulator IOS! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In more general fashion, Orbiter is also built on Windows programming concepts like handles, which would make rewriting the program damn near impossible, and also force a rewrite of every add-on ever made for it. Not just a recompile of the source of the add-on, a complete rewrite of the code. That probably rules out UMMU, UCGO, IMS, the XR Fleet, every launch vehicle, AMSO...

I think this is even more of a killer than the battery life issue Gary mentioned, though human interface issues would also be fairly significant.

About the closest Orbiter will ever get to being native on any non-Windows system would be if Martin ported it to winelib.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Simply get a tablet PC. Those exist and do all you ask.
Or stream the PC screen in realtime to any cheap Android device...

Having a touch screen might make working with VCs more fun, but the small screen sizes are impractical. And small screens really kills any emersion in the simulation.

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, 4throck!

Is there any PC tablet that costs under $300 able to run orbiter? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hold on, how are you going to control your spacecraft without a keyboard?

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, kamaz!

That is a good question! Please ask 4throck. 4throck might know. Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Simple answer is that you can't.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
I would guess the Windows Surface tablet could be a contender? It has an attachable keyboard. Forget how much it costs though.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Hey, I'm no Guru! :lol:

What I know is that any PC with touch screen will translate screen presses to mouse clicks.
The same goes for screencasting to Android/Apple devices.
(but no right clicks)

I also know that you have a "remote control" window in Orbiter, so you can control a spacecraft using the mouse + buttons.

But I'd say that you would have to run Orbiter in window mode, along with an onscreen keyboard. But Windows has this since 7 (and perhaps XP) so not a problem and no extra $ involved.

The best option regarding price would be to simply stream the screen from the PC, realtime, to any Droid device.
I've tried this with my low low low end phone and it works at about 1fps, so you would need a decent Pad + software. But it works :)
I'd say that a decent Droid Tablet might do the trick and be cheaper than a Surface PC.

On the other hand, you can simply consider that Orbiter just needs a PC and precision input methods like a keyboard + mouse to work.
In that sense then yes, it's impossible to have it on other platforms.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would guess the Windows Surface tablet could be a contender? It has an attachable keyboard. Forget how much it costs though.

Surface Pro + any keyboard should be enough to run Orbiter. But $300 would be a good start into getting a financing loan, not more.

Surface (RT) can also use ANY USB device, that Windows can handle with its drivers - even wireless keyboards - no need to use this strange touch cover keyboard.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Or, you can browse the local bazar for some exotic oldies, and run Orbiter on one:
img_3109_sml.jpg

A pity they don't make computers like that these days... (and all the good chips are fine pitch BGA).

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Surface Pro + any keyboard should be enough to run Orbiter. But $300 would be a good start into getting a financing loan, not more.

Surface (RT) can also use ANY USB device, that Windows can handle with its drivers - even wireless keyboards - no need to use this strange touch cover keyboard.

Confirmed ... I've run Orbiter in a plane at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic, on a Surface Pro. With VC++ debugger attached too (crazy I know!). The Surface Pro is fine for performance. The keyboard is ok, though having a spare full keyboard for the numpad helps a lot.