Orbiter Project Template (VC++ 2005 Express)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Starting new projects for orbiter in VC++ Express always was a big discomfort for me - I hated making all the configuration setting every time I started one. So the idea was to make a project template wizard to make it easier. Wasn't an easy task, since express has no tools for :-/

To install wizard just extract it into main visual studio folder.
It should work for other version of VS as well - but folder structure can be different - (You'll have to put VCProjects and WCWizard directories into corresponding folders).
After installing, open New project dialog in your VC++. There you will OrbiterAddon folder, choose it, then choose New Orbiter Vessel template - this will proceed to wizards GUI, which I hope is pretty self-explanatory.
file

file

Haven't tested it on any other machine, so I'll be glad if anyone could test it and prove that it works fine.

Of course this is not a final version of wizard, known issue so far:
-Configuration for projects allows to compile code right after creation of project (no monotonous property editing). But I am not an expert with VC++ 2005 so it may be suboptimal, any suggestion of what an ideal default configuration for vessel project should be are welcome.
-Vessel project template is very simple - what other templates should be included? Templates for panels or VC? Any ideas?
-I'm not an expert on java+activex solutions, so there is no "Browse" buttons for folder paths - you have to type it manually (but only once, since wizard saves configuration).

Attachments

• orbiter vessel wizard.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 161
  • orbitervesselwizard-vc2008.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, does it work or there is something wrong with it?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Well, five downloads and no complaints. No news is good news perhaps?

A nice concept though. Personally, I don't write enough addons for setting up the configuration to be an issue.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
tblaxland> I think you are right - no complaints is a good sign, besides creating projects is not the most important or often used task. (Unless you are like me and starts several different projects, each containing few modules : - )

I just wanted to know if it works, and what setting configuration settings can be considered optimal.
When it'll be confirmed as a reliable way to start projects, I'd like to put in OrbiterWiki (as an alternative way for setting VC configuration).

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Thanks. I'll try it once I have time for it. From what I can see, it's got what it needs.

kais58

Reaction score
hiya Xantcha couldyou do the same for VC++ 2008 as that would help me out loads.
thanks for this one too though.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
kais58> Sorry, can't help you there (Don't have VC 2008 installed and am a bit limited on internet-traffic, to download it)
But unles MS made some really big changes, this template should *probably* work for Vc 2008 - as I said try puttin templates content of VCProject into VC 2008's VCProjects and do same for VCWizard folder. Should work, also I'm not 100% sure in it since haven't tried that. Try this if you can, and tell if it works or not.

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Thanks ;)
The template is working perfect here.

There is also two minor things you should be warned:
I don't know what can be done or not with a vc++ wizard but if possible it will be better to compile under /MT instead of /MD to get rid of the VC++ runtime libraries request.
The thruster model used (ShuttlePB's one) is not compatible with attitudeMFD3.0 (did no test with the newest versions), LandMFD & LolaMFD.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The thruster model used (ShuttlePB's one) is not compatible with attitudeMFD3.0 (did no test with the newest versions), LandMFD & LolaMFD.
For AttitudeMFD, if it does not work with v3.0 it won't work with v3.2 since the thruster interface is the same. I presume what you are referring to is the grouping of the thrusters.

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
For AttitudeMFD, if it does not work with v3.0 it won't work with v3.2 since the thruster interface is the same. I presume what you are referring to is the grouping of the thrusters.
Yes, exactly. Orienting on the pitch axis does not respond if more than 2 thrusters per group.
But using another thruster interface is ok ;)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2 no matter: thanks for testing. Glad to hear that at least wizard is working fine.

About the template itself - I'll try to make the default arrangement of groups more attitudeMFD-compatible (current rcs grouping is not ideal for general-purpose autopilots).

It looks like when I set it to /MT "multithreaded", I need to add both msvcrt and msvcirt to ignore list (for /MD "multithreaded DLL" ignoring only msvcirt is enough). With /MT resulting dll is also a few kylobytes heavier.

I'm not to proficient with VC++, what other consequenses this can have? Should be this a checkbox option in wizard or just set it to /MT by default?

Any other suggestion for improving template or default configurations?

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
2 no matter: thanks for testing. Glad to hear that at least wizard is working fine.

About the template itself - I'll try to make the default arrangement of groups more attitudeMFD-compatible (current rcs grouping is not ideal for general-purpose autopilots).

It looks like when I set it to /MT "multithreaded", I need to add both msvcrt and msvcirt to ignore list (for /MD "multithreaded DLL" ignoring only msvcirt is enough). With /MT resulting dll is also a few kylobytes heavier.

I'm not to proficient with VC++, what other consequenses this can have? Should be this a checkbox option in wizard or just set it to /MT by default?

Any other suggestion for improving template or default configurations?
Yes, you have to ignore both msvcrt.lib and msvcirt.lib.
The resulting .dll is heavier, I assume that infos originally included in the runtime libraries are directly included in the compiled .dll in this case.
I always use /MT, never seen a problem or a difference in the result.

If it was me I would set it by default but a checkbox option (with a short description of the consequences in size and runtime libs needed) might be better for everybody.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
2 no matter: OK, since there is no drawback in it I'll set /MT to default.

I guess expirienced addon developers will not need it, but for those who only start using VC express this can be very helpful. That's why I wan't this template to work as smooth and optimal as possible.
I just spotted that template for consumekey callbacks returns 1 by defualt - no good, so I'll check template once more before posting it on wiki.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally installed VC express 2008. As it turned out my worries about directories layout were for nothing. They are nearly compatible - for it to work one minor change had to be made - in VC\Express\VCProjects\OrbiterAddon\OrbiterAddon.vsdir change line
Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.8.0 to
Wizard=VsWizard.VsWizardEngine.9.0.

I have added 2008 version to 1st post.

Pithecanthropu

Reaction score
My system isn't allowing me to unpack the zip to my VCWizard folder, even using administrator privileges. This is using Visual Studio 2008 Professional. Does anyone know of a workaround? For example, is there a way to make the system look for additional wizards on my machine at project creation time?

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Downloaded ant tried with VC++ 2008 Express, but can't use. When I click "Finish", this message appears (bad translation from portuguese, maybe):

"Runtime Error Microsoft JScript
permission denied"

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
"Runtime Error Microsoft JScript
permission denied"
What operating system, and where is the VC++ Express installed? If Vista or 7 (or 8), then have you tried to do the same as Administrator?