Orbiter screen goes white on my home computer

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
I've already played on Orbiter for six months. Recently, I have placed a copy on the house computer for my siblings to play on. The problem I have is that the screen goes completely white ever five seconds or so, and whatever I do won't stop it.
And one time I was seeing what was still wrong, Orbiter crashed once I hit 1000x time warp.
Help.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
house computer

It's a pc, with Windows XP on it, I don't know about the graphics card or the driver though.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's a pc, with Windows XP on it, I don't know about the graphics card or the driver though.
Go Start>Run...>enter dxdiag and hit Enter. Now what does the System and Display tabs report?

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
answer

Current Date/Time: Sunday, May 11, 2008, 08:29/38
Computer Name: KIDS
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Model: Dell DE051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A01
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page file: 426MB used, 884MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
that's System

Device
Name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
DAC Type: Internal
Aprox. Total Memory 96.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit)(60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Drivers
Main Driver: ialmrnt5.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.4396 (English)
Date: 9/20/2005 09:52:38
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
VDD: n/a
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
and that's Display

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
driver

I tried downloading the new driver. I came up with a message that said

''This driver cannot be installed on this computer.''

Is there any other way to stop the flashing?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I tried downloading the new driver. I came up with a message that said

''This driver cannot be installed on this computer.''

Is there any other way to stop the flashing?

Did it say it was because of a missing WHQL certification?
If yes, go to the control panel -> system -> hardware. Click on "Driver signing" and select ignore or warn and check the option to make this the system default.
This will allow your windows to install drivers that have not been certified by microsoft (which usaly means less features).

EDIT: This chipset will have a very bad peformance anyway. If you want to give your kids some eye candy (Oh, they love it!) you might be better of getting a real 3D card and install it in the PC. A suitable card may cost very little.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Weird. I was having the same issue with white flashes recently. I'm not sure why because my latest hardware update was a monitor. I think I would try "reinstalling" Orbiter. I'll post back after I've tried it.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
dxdiag gives near exact same specs for me except two main things.
For him it says, Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor . I'm not too sure what that means, and it doesn't sound right. For me it gives Monitor: DELL E177FFP (my monitor model obviously) The other difference is that my computer only has 512MB RAM but that shouldn't affect anything. I know I must have the latest driver for my chipset and we have the same one so that can't be his problem. I think either he needs to reinstall Orbiter, he needs to fix something with his monitor(less likely for the problem), or he needs some system files.(like many others often do)

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Testing dxdiag my monitor says "Plug and Play" as well. I'm not sure if it is the problem however. I can affirm that the issue only occurs with me on directx applications (actually, I haven't tried opengl ones yet).

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
If your computer is as old as I suspect it is, an AGP graphics card is what you'll need (but you'll want to check that first). You can find Newegg's AGP cards here http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639&name=AGP+4X/8X. Any of them will be adequate.

The things worth looking for are the amount of memory (128MB is low but good enough for orbiter, 256 or up to 512 and you should be able to turn everything way up -- it's the amount of stuff that can be rendered at once), the speed and type of the memory (GDDR2 is great GDDR3 is better, 300MHz Core clock is probably as low as you want to go).

I'm partial to Nvidia's cards (their drivers have been better to me), but ATi is a strong competitor. Anything there will do the job, just depends on how much you'd like to spend. As little as $20 will work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102738 or as much as $100 will get you a comparably faster one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076

Dr Pepper

Soft Drink
Reaction score
I've also had this problem, except that the flashes happened much more frequently. Lunar Pilot, if it's not much of a hassle, open up a small window like the Ctrl-space one or the Orbiter menu with F4. Other windows seem to fix the problem.

Of course, I no longer have the problem, and I think it was because I partially reinstalled Orbiter (I copied the new download over my old one without removing any of the add-ons). The last thing I did to my system was unplug it and clean out it's insides with propane gas (unorthadox, I know). I would suggest reinstalling Orbiter first.

dxdiag gives near exact same specs for me except two main things.
For him it says, Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor . I'm not too sure what that means, and it doesn't sound right. For me it gives Monitor: DELL E177FFP (my monitor model obviously)

It just means it's one of the cheaper, more generic monitors that came with the setup from Dell. I've got one (PnP monitor) too. Did you buy (or upgrade during the purchace) a new monitor?

The other difference is that my computer only has 512MB RAM but that shouldn't affect anything.

Same here, it dosen't seem to be the problem though. I've also got the same graphics controller and drivers as him, but on a Dell Dimension 3000.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
PnP monitor is Windows generic monitor driver that it uses when it does not know what other driver to use. I have had some experience setting up Dell machines with different monitors and I have found that with the Dell analogue LCD monitors it is particularly important to have the correct driver installed. I have seen all sorts of apparitions on screen that have been rectified with a correct driver.

Lunar Pilot, find out what your monitor is from the label and see if you can download the correct driver. Also, do you see any difference when running Orbiter fullscreen or windowed?