Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well, I wish you all the best since not even the HST can resolve any Apollo objects! They're way too small to be resolved even by its 2.4 diameter primary mirror. So unless you have something a few hundred times larger in your backyards, all you are going to see is the usual lunar selenological stuff.

HST is the second* largest optical space telescope, but radar telescopes do have enough resolution capability to observe an Apollo spacecraft (just not one sitting on the Moon).

EDIT: Second largest, still feels like JWST hasn't launched.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I wish you all the best since not even the HST can resolve any Apollo objects! They're way too small to be resolved even by its 2.4 diameter primary mirror. So unless you have something a few hundred times larger in your backyards, all you are going to see is the usual lunar selenological stuff.

Because of the bright moon - there is not enough contrast to resolve it, all you can expect is a microscopically different color on a 85 meters large pixel on the lunar surface.

But if you are not looking for an object on the surface, against the dark background, the contrast would be far more favorable. Next, if you collect enough data, instead of looking for a specific object, it would be enough to look for lines in a long-term picture of the lunar neighbourhood.

Yes, that shouldn't be enough to tell that we have found the LM. But it could be enough to catalog objects around the moon and look closer at them. The moon isn't that densely populated with satellites yet. Stars, NEOs and SpaceX sky pollution (tm) should only be annoying.

A night should be enough to detect 3-4 orbits of spacecraft in lunar orbit.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
IF Eagle is still in lunar orbit, any guess as to it's orbital elements today? Might make an interesting mission in Orbiter... Either to visit it, or even recover it for return to Earth.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice ! Is there a way to make that atmosphere a bit more "steamy" ?

gamer19

Reaction score
orbiter-2022-02-19-00-09-57-672.jpg

a very special glider :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A classic, but having the Sun behind the astronaut is the perfect way to fry your camera ;)

CurlSnout

Reaction score
This represents my first attempt at creating original content for Orbiter (and learning something about using Blender). I have taken for inspiration an early (1960s) concept design for a modified S-IVB stage that was intended to be recoverable-on-land, implementing a deorbit burn and using a system of ballutes and parachutes for terrestrial landing.

Here is the model I have conjured in Blender - so far (still a work-in-progress):

01_blender.jpg

And here is the model in Orbiter (LC-14 visible in the first two images is from the Old-Atlas-Series overhaul by 1987VCRProductions):

02_orbiter.jpg

03_orbiter.jpg

04_orbiter.jpg

05_orbiter.jpg

06_orbiter.jpg

Launching it from the ground is purely the product of my imagination. Have to start somewhere. I'm having fun with it and learning as I go. Much more to do. Stand by.

cs

ps: Credit to Martin S. for Orbiter, Blake for Orbiter Mesh Tools for Blender, Vinka & fred18 for Multistage/Multistage2015. And the Blender people.

Peace.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow that one is quite crazy, so I love it ! (y)