Orbiter Screenshot Thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats, docking to the ISS is an important step in the learning of Orbiter ! :thumbup:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats, docking to the ISS is an important step in the learning of Orbiter ! :thumbup:
For me it was getting to the moon.

I knew how to do a lunar transfer and interplanetary flights but couldn't rendezvous with a vessel for the life of me :p

Anyway, congrats TheFlyingFish!

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's the same with me too. Strange, isn't it? Congrats on your first docking flyingfish!:cheers:
Yeah, getting to things which have no gravity has always been the hardest for me. Rendezvousing with Phobos or Deimos is especially hard since it's hard to match velocities because Docking MFD can't target planets or moons :(

Anyway, i just updated my Level 8 Titan addon with new a atmosphere (shameless self-promotion), and this is what I got:

titang.jpg

Bonus points if anyone can guess which picture I was trying to replicate! It's on Wikipedia.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aw, beaten to the punch. I read Titan's Wikipedia entry earlier today, so that was an easy one.
Titan_-_Northern_Crescent.png

Easily one of my favourite space pictures.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
{..}Rendezvousing with Phobos or Deimos is especially hard since it's hard to match velocities because Docking MFD can't target planets or moons :(.

There are ways around this. First of all, you simply can't orbit Phobos (even at low altitude) because its weak gravity is entirely dominated by the gravitational field Mars close by. Essentially you're orbiting Mars with the same orbital period as Phobos, and slightly perturbed eccentricity.

To make landing easier you can create a vessel and place it on the surface so you have something to target, or better yet, place a prelude base from Dan's DG4 addon so you actually have something to land on which can also be targeted with the docking MFD. :thumbup:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There are ways around this. First of all, you simply can't orbit Phobos (even at low altitude) because its weak gravity is entirely dominated by the gravitational field Mars close by. Essentially you're orbiting Mars with the same orbital period as Phobos, and slightly perturbed eccentricity.

To make landing easier you can create a vessel and place it on the surface so you have something to target, or better yet, place a prelude base from Dan's DG4 addon so you actually have something to land on which can also be targeted with the docking MFD. :thumbup:

That's what I've been using before :D But thanks anyway :) Although to be honest I never actually thought of placing a vessel on it, I only loaded scenarios already with a vessel on Phobos. :facepalm:

Now, for all you Saturn fans, I have a special Photoshopped treat for you, although it came out a bit weird.

saturnringlight.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Take a good look people... if you're supremely lucky, you'll see two like her in your lifetime." - Captain Sheridan, ep 2.4, "A Distant Star"

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
picture.php

I took that sreenshot at the same fly when I recognized that reentering on Venus isn't very hard.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
{IMG}
I took that sreenshot at the same fly when I recognized that reentering on Venus isn't very hard.

Whoa... those are some amazing atmospheric effects... are you using any special parameters or horizon.dds textures, or is the photo simply edited?

Venus has always been one of my favorite planets/moons; the images from the landers are just amazing, deep red against orange-yellow with an extremely interesting haze.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting if one manages to stay alive, that is...

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Whoa... those are some amazing atmospheric effects... are you using any special parameters or horizon.dds textures, or is the photo simply edited?

Venus has always been one of my favorite planets/moons; the images from the landers are just amazing, deep red against orange-yellow with an extremely interesting haze.

I just wated for the right time, when the sun does that effects in the morning.

Venus is my second fvorite, my first is Titan and the third is mars - I once edited the AR-18 to a cool interplanetary freighter (I mean really cool) and added the possibility to landeven on earth only with the Attitude thrusters. Than I made a kind of shuttle service between that three and the earth. that kpt my borness away for the whole summer holidays.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I once edited the AR-18 to a cool interplanetary freighter (I mean really cool) and added the possibility to landeven on earth only with the Attitude thrusters. Than I made a kind of shuttle service between that three and the earth.

I find it more fun and realistic to leave the Arrow in LEO and shuttle people up to it with the XR2. Dock the XR2 and use it to explore the planet and moons once arriving. :)

IgnoreThisBarrel

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I find it more fun and realistic to leave the Arrow in LEO and shuttle people up to it with the XR2. Dock the XR2 and use it to explore the planet and moons once arriving. :)
Just two days ago I launched a DGIV up from KSC to LEO, launched an Arrow to lunar orbit, transferred to lunar orbit with my DGIV, rendezvoused with teh Arrow, docked, and then flew to Phobos. After that the Arrow+DGIV rendezvoused with an Explorer in high Martian orbit.

It was a four-layer Orbiter Matrioshka structure. Explorer > Arrow > DGIV > Mmu!

I wish I'd taken a screenshot.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm still working on getting to Mars from the Moon. It's a rather lengthy process with transx, I got there, but not within the fuel parameters I aimed for. It's quite fun though leaving the Moon and passing the earth on your way to Mars only needing a 700k burn.