Flying.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 88

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Venera 9 in Orbiter 2016!
The lens-flare is completely inaccurate, but it looks cool :thumbup:

How innacurate would you say it is? Tweaks still needs to be made, and there is the possibility to actually customize it - one might even make several versions and allow through external utility to select one.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Making progress on "Interplanetary". This has been a really ambitious project. Here's the latest screenshot of the project in Adobe Premiere. Can't wait to finish this thing, but I don't want to rush it either. Hang in there. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 2017-05-13.jpg
    2017-05-13.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 63

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The 200th spacewalk on the ISS.

Attachments

• 200th EVA.jpg
    200th EVA.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 64

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASSP 8.0 alpha

Apollo 14 flown with Virtual AGC running authentic AGC & LGC software.

Apollo%2014.jpg

Apollo14_earth.jpg

Over-flying Descartes, the future Apollo 16 landing site:

Descartes.jpg

Antares on the surface at Fra Mauro:

AntaresOnTheSurface.jpg

Rendez-vous with Kitty Hawk:

rdvs2.jpg

Screenshot%202017-05-19%2019.31.54.png

Screenshot%202017-05-19%2019.42.35.png

Apollo%2014_chutes.png

DSKY shows R1 of +00009, meaning 0.9 NM to the target:

Screenshot%202017-05-19%2019.49.34.png

Previously, launches were broken in Orbiter 2016. We have found some working touchdown points for the Saturn V and should reach orbit no problem as of now. Flying an entire mission is now possible in Orbiter 2016.
Note that we however are still working on finding working touchdown points for the Saturn 1B (Apollo 7).

Follow this link for the latest Alpha release of NASSP 8.0 for Orbiter 2016:

https://github.com/dseagrav/NASSP/releases

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Previously, launches were broken in Orbiter 2016. We have found some working touchdown points for the Saturn V and should reach orbit no problem as of now. Flying an entire mission is now possible in Orbiter 2016.
Note that we however are still working on finding working touchdown points for the Saturn 1B (Apollo 7).

Hi Jalex, I've been working on touchdown points for a while and I think I've found a couple of formulas that can be used and works fine. Let me know if you need any help on that. :cheers:

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That is really neat jalexb88, I installed 2015-492 last week and started through the pre launch checklist without using button hints, I only lasted an hour before I quick saved and went for a walk :lol:

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Jalex, I've been working on touchdown points for a while and I think I've found a couple of formulas that can be used and works fine. Let me know if you need any help on that. :cheers:

That would be great, Fred. We have found some touchdown points by trial and error for the Saturn V and LM, but they definitely need some fine tuning as the vehicles will sometimes tip over when changing views or during time acceleration. Your input we be greatly appreciated!

You can join the NASSP discussion on freenode.net with a client or:

https://webchat.freenode.net/ channel: #nassp

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
From today's unplanned EVA 43. 2Fish connecting wireless communication antennas, to LAB nadir.

Attachments

• 2Fish EVA2.jpg
    2Fish EVA2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 49

jalexb88

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A few shots from earlier today with the latest version of D3D9.

Earth-rise:

Screenshot%202017-05-25%2013.20.14.png

Re-entry:

Screenshot%202017-05-25%2016.07.53.png

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Here are a few early samplers of what keeps me busy at the moment: incorporating the Mars Express HRSC (high resolution stereo camera) data into the Mars elevation and surface textures.

For the surface textures I am currently only using the panchromatic images from the HRSC nadir camera. These have been used to pan-sharpen the artificially colourized MOC (Mars Orbiter camera) data that are used as a colour reference. The next step will be to incorporate the HRSC colour channels as well.

MOC (Orbiter 2016)
picture.php

MOC+HRSC (current development status)
picture.php

MOC (Orbiter 2016)
picture.php

MOC+HRSC (current development status)
picture.php

Generating the mosaics from the individual HRSC fragments is a fairly elaborate number-crunching effort because of the sheer amount of data. Once I've tested the final processing pipeline it will probably have to run for a couple of weeks to generate the global map. I hope it's going to be worth it ...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Orbiter 2016 is reaching the threshold of not being able to tell screenshot from photo.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Once I've tested the final processing pipeline it will probably have to run for a couple of weeks to generate the global map. I hope it's going to be worth it ...

If the result looks anywhere near to those screenshots, then I'd say yes, it's gonna be worth it. I have tried to describe the two posted screenshots without using expletives, and failed miserably.

Do you have the necessary hardware freely available? Donation efforts for orbiter don't make much sense in most cases, but a few guys putting some money together to rent an amazon EC2 server for a month or two so you don't have to block your own hardware with such a process would sound like a sensible thing.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
If the result looks anywhere near to those screenshots, then I'd say yes, it's gonna be worth it. I have tried to describe the two posted screenshots without using expletives, and failed miserably.

Do you have the necessary hardware freely available? Donation efforts for orbiter don't make much sense in most cases, but a few guys putting some money together to rent an amazon EC2 server for a month or two so you don't have to block your own hardware with such a process would sound like a sensible thing.

Thanks for the offer. I should be ok though. I can probably quietly use I slightly underused machine at work (128GB RAM, 32 cores, my favourite Linux box ;) ). The problem with sharing out the workload is distributing the data. I've got about 1.5TB of HRSC source data at the moment, and that's only the level-4 processed images. If I decide to also include level-3 to improve coverage, it will be much more. And it wouldn't be trivial to partition the data into local chunks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And it wouldn't be trivial to partition the data into local chunks.

Oh yes. :lol: Especially depending on the overlaps of the different sensors.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got about 1.5TB of HRSC source data at the moment

Holy... How large is that final texture archive going to be? :blink:

Also, just made the "litmus test" with my wife. She totally thought that screenshot was an actual photograph of Mars.

And a short OT question to you martins, since you're hanging around at the moment: WHat library did you use in Orbiter to talk to LUA? I'm currently contemplating putting a LUA interface in my add-on and am looking at potential binding libraries.

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Holy... How large is that final texture archive going to be? :blink:

I am planning a global level 12 texture, plus local level 13 or 14 "scenic hotspots". The final size will probably be similar to the current Earth textures (which are level 13 globally for land areas, much lower for oceans)

On Mars, level 12 corresponds to a resolution of about 80 metres at the equator.

The HRSC images have a nominal resolution of 12.5m for the nadir camera, and 50m for the colour channels and the computed elevation data. The true resolution can be lower than that, depending on the orbit altitude.